The Student Room Group

help!

I left school nearly 3 years ago and have been trying different courses in college and none have been ones i really want too do as i want to do law but i have gcses d to g grades, could i do an access course? i am only 18, 19 in june, what are my options? do i need to start all over again do gcses, a levels and then uni?
*JemmaLouise*
I left school nearly 3 years ago and have been trying different courses in college and none have been ones i really want too do as i want to do law but i have gcses d to g grades, could i do an access course? i am only 18, 19 in june, what are my options? do i need to start all over again do gcses, a levels and then uni?

I'd strongly recommend getting GCSEs in English and Maths under your belt because I've come across numerous people - esp those going into teaching who've got stung on this. It may not be a problem in terms of going to university via an access course, but further down the line it could be a problem.

Looking at Coventry's entry requirements as an example, it looks like you'll need to resit some GCSEs at least.

http://www.coventry.ac.uk/clearing-courses/clearing-courses-by-subject/foundation-programmes/a/2901
Reply 2
You will need Cs or above in English Language and Maths, most colleges offer these alongside access courses.

An access course would be quicker than doing GCSEs then A levels but you have to be 19 usually to start one. So you could start at a further education this year doing some GCSEs then start the access course next year.

You could also look into this route - http://www.ilex.org.uk/ but you will need GCSEs
Reply 3
I'm in the same situation, i wanted to do A-Levels in History and Spanish but i was one grade off in my GCSE's.
I agree, if you want to study law then your aim should be meeting the requirements for university. Don't forget though, that if you want a job afterwards some recruiters will only accept you if you have certain qualifications. This almost always includes english and maths if not a a-level then gcse. I would advise you to go back to college and perhaps study law at gsce level at the same time. This will prepare you better for university and give you an insight as to whether it is for you.

Latest

Trending

Trending