The Student Room Group

To take Maths AS or not?

Ok, Im in my second year and Im taking four A2 Levels- Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Geography.

And Im feeling the strain of not taking anything higher than Foundation level at Maths GCSE from A2 Physics already, I take longer to catch on with the mathematics side of it. I honestly enjoy the mathematical side of it and I really want to do Maths AS. But my teacher told me that taking on Maths AS would be too hard for and I'd struggle. But really, I'd like to take it so I can increase my mathematical skills in graphs, algebraic equations so it'll be easier to do Physics. And if I do it well, it'd look good on my application form for Chemistry at uni.

But problem is..my old teacher told me that it was the college policy that four A2s was the max, I think that's utter *******s. Ill ask my new tutor if I could join the AS Maths course, even though its been 3 weeks but I really feel that I could use the extra maths lessons. Ive been studying from the math textbooks but they're no help, I need direction and guidance. What should I do?
Reply 1
Do maths. In my opinion you should do what you enjoy, life isn't all about results. But even then, maths will definitely aid you on your CV for Chemistry, as well your Physics A2.
Just curious: how come you didn't sit a higher paper than Foundation Maths at GCSE?

The thing is.. I was in the top set for GCSE Maths, and sat the higher paper and got an A.. but AS Maths is in a different league. It is very hard. I ended up getting a C in AS Maths, and I wish I'd never taken it :s-smilie:

You may be nothing like this, however. Why not ask some of your friends who are taking Sciences and Maths to tell you how difficult they find Maths, by comparison?
Reply 3
Well, I didn't even revise at all or work at all for Maths (bad teachers etc) and it being a grammar school I was at, they didnt like take unneccessary risks and I had top marks for Foundation.

But I dont care about the grades, just as along as I learn something out of it that will help me in Chemistry. :smile:
Well if you really don't care about the grade.. I guess there's no harm. I just thought, be wary of caring too much about the subject because it might interfere with your other results..

I have to say, though, I found fairly little correlation between AS Chem and AS Maths: the maths you need to use in Chem is pretty basic after all :smile:
AS Maths will be a huge help if you're applying for chemistry. This has been asked a few times in the university courses section like here.
Reply 6
If you want to do Maths, do it. You seem academically capable enough to be doing 4 A2s simultaneously so go for it. A2 and degree level Chemistry is a lot more mathematical in content compared to GCSE and AS, so doing AS Maths will help a lot with that, in addition to Physics.

Doing AS Maths on top of your A2s may jeopardise your results though so I would seriously think about it if I were you. If you think you can get AAAA in your A2s then go for Maths. But getting AAAA is better than getting AAABb or AAABa.
Reply 7
Why not think about dropping one of your A2s? Perhaps Geography if it is less relevant to your degree choice than Maths. But if you think you can hack 4 A2s + 1 AS then go for it.
Reply 8
The reality of whether you should take up AS-Level Maths depends on whether you think you can cope with it and whether it will really help (as in having the actual qualification itself, rather than learning some of the necessary content).

You’re already doing four subjects, and it’s important to realise that taking on another may jeopardise your results in your other subjects. Do you think you’ll cope with four subjects at A2 and one at AS?

I’m wondering whether it might be a better idea to simply have a few sessions with a maths teacher to go over a number of topics that will be helpful for A2 Physics and A2 Chemistry. Have you thought about this?

Latest