The Student Room Group
i felt like my brain had turned to mush in my 2 gap years but it all came back to me in the end, which is good!
suicidal_dream
i felt like my brain had turned to mush in my 2 gap years but it all came back to me in the end, which is good!

are suicidal you have done 2 gap years as well, good to know lol as i am on my second as well........

out of interest where there any reasons you done 2 gap years (as mine is purely to gain experience/travel) + what univeristy are you at??
Reply 3
I've only been on a gap year for about four months and my handwriting's got a lot messier already. :p:
i'm at loughborough.

it was a sort of... accidental gap year.
when i was doing my A LEvels i didnt want to go to uni at all.
Then it got to the end of my first 'gap year' and i decided i wanted to go to university, mid way through september - there was no way i could've gone as i didnt have enough money, or loans or anything sorted or even applied to a uni, so i waited another year!

hence the 2 'gap years'.

still, it was good - got plenty of money behind me which helps ease money worries at the mo and it helped me get more on my CV!
Reply 5
I've only been out of school since we finished our exams in June and i feel as if my IQ has already dropped 50 odd points.. :rolleyes:
I wonder what'll happen once i'm actually at uni next year.
Reply 6
Look mate, intelligence is not about remembering facts, that's called having a good bloody memory. Intelligence is about being able to understand things so you don't have to remember them. Although a good memory is important, it has nothing to do with intelligence.
Reply 7
john171
Look mate, intelligence is not about remembering facts, that's called having a good bloody memory. Intelligence is about being able to understand things so you don't have to remember them. Although a good memory is important, it has nothing to do with intelligence.

Yeah but since when is uni all about pure intelligence? Doing physics,am i supposed to derive everything from first principles lol?

Still I reckon even in a week I've gotten quite a bit better. A lot of the problem was probably being massively sleep deprived and consuming about a years worth of alcohol in a week :smile:
Reply 8
Reverie.
I've only been on a gap year for about four months and my handwriting's got a lot messier already. :p:

Really? That's funny, I'm on a gap year too, but whenever I write stuff these days (which is rare), I'm always quite surprised at how neatly and 'pretty' I write. :biggrin:
Reply 9
monsumo
Really? That's funny, I'm on a gap year too, but whenever I write stuff these days (which is rare), I'm always quite surprised at how neatly and 'pretty' I write. :biggrin:

Haha, it may be just because I normally see my own writing on orders at work when I'm rushing. :p:
Reply 10
Senor Chong
Yeah but since when is uni all about pure intelligence? Doing physics,am i supposed to derive everything from first principles lol?

Still I reckon even in a week I've gotten quite a bit better. A lot of the problem was probably being massively sleep deprived and consuming about a years worth of alcohol in a week :smile:

in theory lol yes
Reply 11
Seema135
I've only been out of school since we finished our exams in June and i feel as if my IQ has already dropped 50 odd points.. :rolleyes:
I wonder what'll happen once i'm actually at uni next year.

Same here, i feel a bit like life has become a blur. i do hope that by next september i can rev up the old brain again.
Reply 12
I was trying to explain exponential form of complex numbers to a friend the other day, and found I couldn't remember it at all... I'm going to have to do a lot of revision before University :p:
Read Degree level books relevant to your applied course OR get the reading list (if they have one) from the Admissions department and read your heart out.

You'll be ahead of the year 13's, who wouldn't have had a chance to read them as they are studying for A2 exams etc.

Read newspapers, keep up on current affairs and generally read books if you don't want your mind to flop.

I would also suggest getting a part-time job at a Chicken factory and watching as much daytime television as possible and eat pork scratchings.

Latest