The Student Room Group

The Trains Society.

Scroll to see replies

What_To_Do
Nobody knows anything about my query regarding student railcards then?

It has no weekend restrictions I believe.

I am actually a rail enthusiast and have a large number of photographs to prove it

http://noxid.digimig.co.uk/ :cool:
what about the london underground logo for the society pic?
london underground rules =]
though, im not into trains that much...
Jonah Ramone
I almost bought a London Underground map Poster today at the poster sale :proud:

I has finded pics for you!

Spoiler

"This is Baker Street, where this train terminates. Change here for the Jubilee, Circle, Hammersmith and City, and the Bakerloo lines. Please mind the gap between the train and the platform. All Change Please. All Change. This train terminates here."
Expression
"This is Baker Street, where this train terminates. Change here for the Jubilee, Circle, Hammersmith and City, and the Bakerloo lines. Please mind the gap between the train and the platform. All Change Please. All Change. This train terminates here."

Baker Street. That is up there where I thought it was. I think. :proud:
Reply 24
theredsox
I don't much like trains, actually.

Not just me then, phew! :biggrin:
Jonah Ramone
Baker Street. That is up there where I thought it was. I think. :proud:

It's the bay platform for services coming from the Wembley Park direction. If you want to carry on to Great Portland Street, Euston Square, Kings Cross St Pancras, Farringdon, Barbican, Moorgate, Liverpool Street and Aldgate, you have to cross over to one of the other Met line platforms.
Expression
It's the bay platform for services coming from the Wembley Park direction. If you want to carry on to Euston Square, Kings Cross St Pancras, Farringdon, Barbican, Moorgate and Aldgate, you have to cross over to one of the other Met line platforms.

Ah ok. I never ride the Met line.
Reply 27
What_To_Do
Nobody knows anything about my query regarding student railcards then?

Yes I do :p: [Well, I *think* I do]. I believe YNG restrictions are lifted at the weekends. [well, I've caught Saturday morning trains without hassle]

noxid
It has no weekend restrictions I believe.

I am actually a rail enthusiast and have a large number of photographs to prove it

http://noxid.digimig.co.uk/

*has a nosey*
Jangrafess
*wonders why Crisps was using square brackets*

I'm getting a Piccadilly tomorrow. ;yes;

That reminds me.
Automated-shouty-announcer-man at Kings Cross St Pancras couldn't deal with the Piccadilly line service update tonight, he announced the following:

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, the Piccadilly Line is operating with Severe, because of a security alert at Pixadimly Circus" :p:
Reply 29
Jangrafess
*wonders why Crisps was using square brackets*

I'm getting a Piccadilly tomorrow. ;yes;

I always use square brackets.

Incidently, I hate "BR Man" as he's known in the railworld. He's the male auto announcer at many stations, including the dreaded Birmingham New Street :afraid:
Crisps
I always use square brackets.

Incidently, I hate "BR Man" as he's known in the railworld. He's the male auto announcer at many stations, including the dreaded Birmingham New Street :afraid:

Phil Sayer is his name.

I prefer Phil to Digital Doris, the generic NR female voice.

The oop-North auto-woman you get at the likes of Sheffield & Huddersfield etc are quite easy listening.
I hate the auto voice at Leicester and I hate the woman on the tube who says "this is a Picadilly line service to Heathrow Stations 1, 2 and 3. The next station is [...]". Like. Hello. I can read the signs you invalid.
Reply 32
I've been to one station [can't remember where], where the announcing was done by both :p:
Jonah Ramone
I hate the auto voice at Leicester and I hate the woman on the tube who says "this is a Picadilly line service to Heathrow Stations 1, 2 and 3. The next station is [...]". Like. Hello. I can read the signs you invalid.

DDA compliance... Harry Hard of Hearing needs the visual display. Sorry.
Reply 34
Luckily most of the stations that I usemost regularly have good ol' human announcements [although the Darlington woman sounds like she's fed up half of the time, and you can hardly hear the York announcements.
Expression
DDA compliance... Harry Hard of Hearing needs the visual display. Sorry.

Yeah I know. But like. It's annoying enough. Innit.
Reply 36
Another thing which I found quite interesting is the departure boards At Manchester Picc. Instead of listing the actual services, it lists every destination which can be reached directly from the station, and the time and platform of the next service going there. I haven't seen that anywhere else.
Crisps
Luckily most of the stations that I usemost regularly have good ol' human announcements [although the Darlington woman sounds like she's fed up half of the time, and you can hardly hear the York announcements.

Derby station announcer makes me smile and cringe simultaneous.

She announces the Central and the Virgin's to Brum, and has a particular twang.

"Train now approachin' platform fooer is thay th-air-tain twentay-two Vairgin Voyager service to Bairmingham New Straight, calling at Burton-on-Trent, Tamworth and Bairmingham New Straight, Platform fooer for thay th-air-tain twentay two Vairgin Voyager to Bairmingham New Straight".

Oh and Chris, how many times does your Aber-New Street train actually terminate at New Street? I understand it's normally terminated at Wolverhampton occasionally managing to make it to Brum. :P
Reply 38
Expression
Oh and Chris, how many times does your Aber-New Street train actually terminate at New Street? I understand it's normally terminated at Wolverhampton occasionally managing to make it to Brum. :P

Very, very rarely! Only twice in the last two years have I actually got into Brum directly! Although I tendto have more luck going the other way.
Reply 39
Jonah Ramone
I think it's towards the North - West of Central London, by Paddington where there are a few stations on the outside.

That's where I live :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest