The Student Room Group

What can i do to improve my chances of getting into uni?

I'm not really sure what i want to do at university. At A-level im taking further maths,chemistry,physics and geography, so i'd probably do either maths/science, possibly meteorlogy as i've been interested in it for ever.

Most of my class have already started doing work experience/voluntary work but i have no idea what i can do. There's not really much work experience i can do which are related to these subjects?

Our teacher in physics metioned reading some books but is there anything else i could do?

Thanks
Reply 1
doctor's surgery..they're most likely to get you to do admin work (which may relate to maths)..and since its a doctor's surger, pretty useful if you want to go into any science related course
try hospital as well. normally they just make you shadow someone =) so thats all good. relates pretty much to your subjects too.
apart form that get any sort of voluntary work you can. always worth it.
Reply 2
Just find a way to sell yourself...mention any hobbies that you participate in to show what a well rounded person you are, and as long as the rest of the PS displays your desire to continuing studying subject x at university (Meteorology sounds a shoe-in with those subjects) then i see no reason why you won't get a place, i've never done work experience so don't worry.
Reply 3
Are you in Year 12 or 13?
Reply 4
city_chic
Are you in Year 12 or 13?

year 12
Reply 5
the problem with doctor's surgery is that i really dont want to do anytihng medical, so would it be worth it?
Reply 6
EmmaK90
the problem with doctor's surgery is that i really dont want to do anytihng medical, so would it be worth it?

If you don't want to do anything medical, and unless you think you could get something helpful out of it then it's a waste of time.
Reply 7
You don't need to have done related voluntary work to impress admissions tutors, unless it's something like medicine, where it's absolutely essential.
Just show that you've done stuff to extend your interest in your degree subject in ways that aren't catered for by your school or college. Attend relevant conferences. Subscribe to a subject-specific journal or magazine. Engage in further reading. Admissions tutors appreciate that not everyone can find relevant work experience or live in an area where such opportunities are even available.
i wouldn't do medical stuff, you'll jus look like a failed medical applicant (not that there's anything wrong with that :wink:) jus try and do some stuff that generally shows you're a nice person like volunteer work in some field that interests you. it's not important to have relevant work experience as such, i kno 2 guys doing maths/engineering at cambridge that have none.... if i were you, i'd try and get involved with maths challenges and stuff like that too, see if you can get invited to the european stage.... that looks really good. stuff like that. if you can think of a career you might fancy, then shaddowing someone who does it for a day or two wouldn't hurt, but it's by no means essential.

Latest

Trending

Trending