The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Andrew Ward - Philosophy!

I went for a York Open Day yesterday, and Andrew Ward gave a lecture about studying philosophy - he was fantastic! He reminds me slightly of Bertrand Russell, and kept slapping his leg in excitement (doubt Russell would do that though) and had a rather arbitrary tone of voice! ("If you would like to go and see our... BOOTH! In the exhibition centre...")

Just wanted to say so. He make me want to go to York. I bet his lectures are fun... are all the other lecturers just as good?
No idea who he is . . . no, wait!

We had a someone do a lecture for us at one of the open days couple of years ago who was totally manic. Really full of energy and really funny. Maybe the same guy?
University of York
York
Reply 2
Schmokie Dragon
No idea who he is . . . no, wait!

We had a someone do a lecture for us at one of the open days couple of years ago who was totally manic. Really full of energy and really funny. Maybe the same guy?

White hair, quite old...? Sounded a bit posh, but cool - he kept whispering/shouting, lol. And talking about a young 'whippersnapper' at the back of a bus...

He was brilliant! Tell me what you think after you've been there for a week/been in lectures. I want to go to York now! :smile:
Yes! Sounds like the same guy.

I'll tell you how things go with him, assuming he does some of my lectures.
Reply 4
BornUnderPunches
I went for a York Open Day yesterday, and Andrew Ward gave a lecture about studying philosophy - he was fantastic! He reminds me slightly of Bertrand Russell, and kept slapping his leg in excitement (doubt Russell would do that though) and had a rather arbitrary tone of voice! ("If you would like to go and see our... BOOTH! In the exhibition centre...")

Just wanted to say so. He make me want to go to York. I bet his lectures are fun... are all the other lecturers just as good?

Judging by his picture he looks like a real eccentric all right. I notice he only has a BA - curse these charming pre-watershed academics who never had to bother with all this AHRC, Master's, PhD, Graduate Research Training malarkey! :mad: :biggrin:
Reply 5
the_alba
Judging by his picture he looks like a real eccentric all right. I notice he only has a BA - curse these charming pre-watershed academics who never had to bother with all this AHRC, Master's, PhD, Graduate Research Training malarkey! :mad: :biggrin:

Yes, that's a brilliant picture!
He's quite a bit older now though... have you ever seen him about at York?
How is your PhD going also, btw?
Reply 6
BornUnderPunches

i went to the york open day and saw him in the lecture! haha he was wild, and i know what you mean about bertrand russel!
philosophy at york looks sooo good!
Reply 7
zzzzzoe
i went to the york open day and saw him in the lecture! haha he was wild, and i know what you mean about bertrand russel!
philosophy at york looks sooo good!

Yeah, that's where I was! I'm tempted to choose York over everywhere else, juat for him!!

But I bet all the other lecturers aren't half as good.
Reply 8
BornUnderPunches
Yeah, that's where I was! I'm tempted to choose York over everywhere else, juat for him!!

But I bet all the other lecturers aren't half as good.

haha i know!!
i sent him an email asking about courses and he types just like he talks! its hard to explain but he really does!!

oooh if only york asked for just ABB :frown:
Reply 9
zzzzzoe
haha i know!!
i sent him an email asking about courses and he types just like he talks! its hard to explain but he really does!!

oooh if only york asked for just ABB :frown:

lol.

What are you predicted? I'm applying for joint with engl. so i need AAB.
Reply 10
His lectures are really entertaining, but he's tight with the good marks.
Reply 11
WarmSound
His lectures are really entertaining, but he's tight with the good marks.

Meh, I think it's a fair trade-off :smile:
Reply 12
It doesn't matter in the first year anyway as long as you pass so just get your fix then! He does stand out as being one of the best lecturers but there are a few others who are really good too, they're just a bit less flamboyant about it!
Reply 13
BornUnderPunches
lol.

What are you predicted? I'm applying for joint with engl. so i need AAB.

they ask for ABB/AAB for philosophy single subject ive just found out! which isnt so bad! :rolleyes:
im predicted AAB so fingers crossed, only got ABB at AS though :s-smilie:
Don't worry, I got ABBC at AS and still pulled out AAB at A2. Besides, a good PS can get you a long way.

Not had Andrew Ward yet . . . what modules does he teach? I have Barry Lee for Reason and Argument, and he seems pretty good.
Reply 15
Schmokie Dragon
Don't worry, I got ABBC at AS and still pulled out AAB at A2. Besides, a good PS can get you a long way.

Not had Andrew Ward yet . . . what modules does he teach? I have Barry Lee for Reason and Argument, and he seems pretty good.

I think AW teaches History of Early Modern Philosophy.
Reply 16
Barry Lee is one of my favourites, he's so helpful and always gives really good feedback to any of your work that he reads. He'll always go out of his way to help you understand anything you're struggling with. I don't envy people who are doing logic in their first term though, I bet it's putting a lot of people off philosophy.

I'm not sure whether first years still do the modules I did, but Andrew Ward does Philosophy of Mind, personal Identity, Kant, that sort of thing.
Meh. Logic is ok. It's a bit weird to get your head around at first but people generally did quite well in the exam.

If you think Andrew Ward is weird, wait til you meet Christian Piller. :biggrin:
I'm doing PPE and the politics and economics lecturers don't come close to being as eccentric as the philosophy lecturers. It's a philosophy thing. :ninja:
Incidently, the philosophy tutors (from my experience at least) who take the seminars also tend to be noticably better looking than the Econ and Politics ones. But hey, I'm generalising.* :p:

*Generalising accurately
Reply 18
So true, some those postgrads are distractingly hot.

Latest

Trending

Trending