The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL or Birmingham?! Please help

Sup guys - I may be going Birmingham in September to do Economics. My firm choice was 'Economics & Stats' at UCL but I didn't make da grades. :frown: . I got AAB when I needed AAA but I missed da A grade by 4 marks! Harsh!! Howeva they are considerin to offer me a place for "Statistics, Computing, Operational Research and Economics" (SCORE). Da course apparently consists of quarter economics and about half stats. I'm not sure what I shud do - Birmingham or UCL? Which of these courses at these unis are best for career opportunities? Any advice? How is economics like in Birmingham/UCL? Any advantages/disadvantages? Please help! Also is there any chance that I would be able to switch courses if I went to UCL to just straight Economics -What is the likelyhood of dis? Would I be to make this switch in the first year or is it likely to be afterwards?
Reply 1
Rock Da Boat
Sup guys - I may be going Birmingham in September to do Economics. My firm choice was 'Economics & Stats' at UCL but I didn't make da grades. :frown: . I got AAB when I needed AAA but I missed da A grade by 4 marks! Harsh!! Howeva they are considerin to offer me a place for "Statistics, Computing, Operational Research and Economics" (SCORE). Da course apparently consists of quarter economics and about half stats. I'm not sure what I shud do - Birmingham or UCL? Which of these courses at these unis are best for career opportunities? Any advice? How is economics like in Birmingham/UCL? Any advantages/disadvantages? Please help! Also is there any chance that I would be able to switch courses if I went to UCL to just straight Economics -What is the likelyhood of dis? Would I be to make this switch in the first year or is it likely to be afterwards?

In that situation I'd go for UCL. SCORE sounds like a really good course and, if you choose optional modules in Economics and Statistics, you'll be able to do a considerable amount in those areas. I'd guess you'd still have a chance to change to an Economics course once you get there. UCL has a better reputation both in general and in the subject areas you're interested in too.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Cool, cheers. Does anyone know what the student intake is for this SCORE course? Da thing dats concerning me now is whether to accept this course - I wouldn't like to undertake it if there aren't going to me that many people doing the course. Wouldn't you find it boring if you only have like 5 - 10 people in your course? I mean the number and variety of friends you would have would be limited? Has anyone found this the case for small courses?
Reply 3
Rock Da Boat
Cool, cheers. Does anyone know what the student intake is for this SCORE course? Da thing dats concerning me now is whether to accept this course - I wouldn't like to undertake it if there aren't going to me that many people doing the course. Wouldn't you find it boring if you only have like 5 - 10 people in your course? I mean the number and variety of friends you would have would be limited? Has anyone found this the case for small courses?

Not sure about the intake, but I got the impression from talking to students who started university this year that most people make friends in halls rather on than their course. I'd actually prefer to work in a smaller group, better learning environment.
Reply 4
I would go for UCL, the course sounds interesting and you will still be doing some Economics, also UCL has a better reputation and is a prime recruiting ground for many top employers. Good luck.
Reply 5
Thanks guys for ur help and advice but in the end I chose Birmingham to do Economics as a single degree. The 'Economics and Statistics' course at UCL was my ideal course, but I didn't get in - otherwise I would definately have gone. Thanks newayz. Gud luck to all those goin UCL - i'm sure u'll enjoy it! :wink:
Reply 6
Rock Da Boat
Thanks guys for ur help and advice but in the end I chose Birmingham to do Economics as a single degree. The 'Economics and Statistics' course at UCL was my ideal course, but I didn't get in - otherwise I would definately have gone. Thanks newayz. Gud luck to all those goin UCL - i'm sure u'll enjoy it! :wink:

I was very suprised that you chose Birmingham not UCL. You stituation was the same as mine. I originally applied for the coure called" mathematics with economics". However, my result is AABB, not AAA which they asked me for.
Birminham was my insurance choice as well. But UCL offered another course whish was' statistics, computing, operational research and economics.

But the difference is what i accepted that offer. I will go for that course.
I stongly believe that UCL would be a better one than birminham.

I couldn't believe that we were under the same situation but you chose birmingham!
Well, let's just say that neither is the LSE.
Reply 8
Biggles
Well, let's just say that neither is the LSE.

I turned down LSE to go to UCL (economics)
Reply 9
Quiksilver

Nice one... :smile:
Nik P
Nice one... :smile:

UCL seems to be a nicer place :smile:
Reply 11
Quiksilver

thumbs up! :smile:
Reply 12
Quiksilver

:biggrin: Me too!!!
Quiksilver

Yeah, I've never heard that one before : rolls eyes
Reply 14
Quiksilver
UCL seems to be a nicer place :smile:

but admit it! You took UCL because of it actually being an Economics course not a geography one :rolleyes:
TheWolf
but admit it! You took UCL because of it actually being an Economics course not a geography one :rolleyes:

yes :cool: :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending