The Student Room Group

Edexcel Religious Studies Unit 4: Implications 6RS04 1A-1J - 27 Jun 2017

This exam is literally going to be the death of me - is anybody else doing this exam as well???

Scroll to see replies

me!!!
Reply 2
Original post by coniyemagu
me!!!

Thank God! :colondollar: How are you revising for the exam because my teacher is not being really productive right now :argh::argh::argh:
What do you need help with? I have taught this for the past 7 years.
Original post by cogitoergo

How can you revise for this? Also does anybody have any notes they could share
Original post by alexredman
How can you revise for this? Also does anybody have any notes they could share

You cannot revise, or are expected to know, everything mentioned in the set text. You need to bring an understanding of what the text is saying by applying this to topics you have studied over the past two years. That is why you will not find a 'one answer fits all' essay as students have been taught different topics.

That said, there is a generic structure one should follow for the set texts.

For example Westphal part (i)

1. Introduction to the text where he talks about the shift from philosophical theology to philosophy of religion

2. The context (Enlightenment) as well as scholasticism and deism

3. Rebuilding Deism (discarding the husk and finding the kernel) with reference to Kant, Schleiermacher, Hegel and Spinoza,

4. Suspicious of religion (Hume, Marx and Nietzsche) - they are not interested in the kernel or whether God exists, they are interested in the motives behind religion.

For the relevant philosophers I have listed above, you would state their position and how this links to the set text. You would then bring in relevant topics of study from what you have been taught at AS and A2.
Reply 6
71204238 cogitoergo

I just need to know the extract off by heart, but the wider links and the themes that are a bit of an issue for me, and also the for/against points that the scholar is attempting to make - I'm not sure how to develop it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
You cannot revise, or are expected to know, everything mentioned in the set text. You need to bring an understanding of what the text is saying by applying this to topics you have studied over the past two years. That is why you will not find a 'one answer fits all' essay as students have been taught different topics.

1. Introduction to the text where he talks about the shift from philosophical theology to philosophy of religion

3. Rebuilding Deism (discarding the husk and finding the kernel) with reference to Kant, Schleiermacher, Hegel and Spinoza,

4. Suspicious of religion (Hume, Marx and Nietzsche) - they are not interested in the kernel or whether God exists, they are interested in the motives behind religion.

For the relevant philosophers I have listed above, you would state their position and how this links to the set text. You would then bring in relevant topics of study from what you have been taught at AS and A2.

This is a great starting point for me :smile::smile:
Original post by BeeNicole15
Thank God! :colondollar: How are you revising for the exam because my teacher is not being really productive right now :argh::argh::argh:

Take your time reading through each article, trying to break each part down in your own words! The more you practice, the more natural it will become! That way, even if something you're not familiar with comes up, youll know how to answer it!
Reply 9
Take your time reading through each article, trying to break each part down in your own words! The more you practice, the more natural it will become! That way, even if something you're not familiar with comes up, youll know how to answer it!

For each article, how many hours a week do I need to spend on them?
For each article, how many hours a week do I need to spend on them?

Hmm it's hard to say exactly, but Westphal and Donovan are the longest. Try doing four paragraphs a week, two on westphal and two on donovan (in the essay you will be given two paragraphs from one article) Then work on Ayer, who you could probably finish over two days depending on how you like to break up your study time! (:
Hmm it's hard to say exactly, but Westphal and Donovan are the longest. Try doing four paragraphs a week, two on westphal and two on donovan (in the essay you will be given two paragraphs from one article) Then work on Ayer, who you could probably finish over two days depending on how you like to break up your study time! (:

Sweet, thank you so much for your help!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Hiya,

Do you have a recommended essay generic structure for Ayer and Donovan too? i.e. ones that should follow for the set texts.

I like the way you've set out the structure for Westphal!

Thanks

Reply 13
Anyone else stressed about this exam or is it just me
Original post by Lc1234
Anyone else stressed about this exam or is it just me

You're not alone - I don't even know how to structure this essay
Reply 15
Thank God I'm not the only one, our class has been so rushed with it i don't know if what I'm doing is even right/useful
You're not alone - I don't even know how to structure this essay
Original post by Lc1234
Thank God I'm not the only one, our class has been so rushed with it i don't know if what I'm doing is even right/useful

Same here, my teacher started in February - we should have started this earlier.
I don't even know if I'm gonna pass this exam to be honest.
Reply 17
Omg same here, think we started mid feb! Which author do you reckon will come up?? Im using the examiner report to revise, and using the example essays, if thats of any use to u!
Same here, my teacher started in February - we should have started this earlier.
I don't even know if I'm gonna pass this exam to be honest.
Original post by Lc1234
Omg same here, think we started mid feb! Which author do you reckon will come up?? Im using the examiner report to revise, and using the example essays, if thats of any use to u!

Same, I'm using example essays and examiners report as well!! I reckon Westphal's gonna come up - Ayer came up last year and Donovan before that.
Original post by Lc1234

Same, I'm using example essays and examiners report as well!! I reckon Westphal's gonna come up - Ayer came up last year and Donovan before that so it's following a certain type of pattern

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending