The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Fluffstar
I would really like to know who my College Mum is! I have received my freshers pack, but nothing from my college mum. :frown: Am I an orphan?

He he, from what I read in the Newnham freshers' pack, we get two mums!
I haven't had anything from them either so not to worry!
(How odd would it be if we ended up related in some way? Possible considering the similar subject areas...maybe! Actually, does it work like that or are your parents random subject people?)

Did you find the pack really quite cool & exciting? I sat in my PJs reading it all & filling all the forms in! :cool:
Helenia
Plants should be fine (I managed to kill 4 pansies in my first attempt at making my room look nice).

helen, did no-one ever tell you that pansies are outdoor plants? They don't like the heat/stuffiness inside.

MB
Reply 62
will we need to buy an ironing board and iron or what normally happens ironing wise. It's the one thing I am NOT looking forward to as i approach this independant stage of my life.....i can't iron What-so-ever. I'm terrible. I spend ages on shirts cos I keep putting more and more creases in it!
Reply 63
Katie J
He he, from what I read in the Newnham freshers' pack, we get two mums!
I haven't had anything from them either so not to worry!
(How odd would it be if we ended up related in some way? Possible considering the similar subject areas...maybe! Actually, does it work like that or are your parents random subject people?)

Did you find the pack really quite cool & exciting? I sat in my PJs reading it all & filling all the forms in! :cool:

yeeah...forms...reeally should do something about those.
Meh.
Actually YEAH!! how cool would it be if we were related?? I could always divorce my college mums and yours could adopt me :wink: neheheee.
The money bit is scaring me now! Gown...Roll...Formals...Rent...KFC...*cries*
So that massive student loan kinda whittles down to BUGGER ALL per week.
Also I know there's an ASDA in Cambridge - which is cheaper than Sainsbury's, but none of the freshers stuff mentions it.
Any current students? Why do you pay more for your food? :wink: Is it too far away? Is there no free bus like down here? :biggrin: YEH! old ppl...
Reply 64
musicboy
helen, did no-one ever tell you that pansies are outdoor plants? They don't like the heat/stuffiness inside.

No. I thought they was pot plants, so liked being inside :frown: What can I have in my room then, that won't die?

Willa - ironing? What? I didn't iron one thing this last year, and never suffered for it. :biggrin: Some of my friends have irons and either use a table in their room with a blanket on it, or there are ironing boards in the college laundry.
Helenia
No. I thought they was pot plants, so liked being inside :frown: What can I have in my room then, that won't die?

Get yourself a nice african violet. They are great indoor plants cos they are pretty and don't need much done to them. If you are really bad with plants then you can get a cactus.

MB
I've always fancied having a venus fly trap. Not sure I could keep it alive though. I'll probably buy a vase, and a bunch of fake flowers (the vaguely realistic kind) as I'm terrible at remembering to water plants.
figgetyfig
I've always fancied having a venus fly trap. Not sure I could keep it alive though. I'll probably buy a vase, and a bunch of fake flowers (the vaguely realistic kind) as I'm terrible at remembering to water plants.

yeah, you can grow venus fly traaps in your room but they tend to be a bit delicate/expensive. They are cool though and look amazing. I used to hve one when I was little.

MB
Reply 68
Are we gonna need gowns for freshers week or can buying one wait until we are actually there?

...and what is this word 'ironing'??? :wink:
Reply 69
jamesvb
Are we gonna need gowns for freshers week or can buying one wait until we are actually there?

You will need one for matriculation. But you can buy one when you arrive (bonus of having parents around :wink:) - most JCRs/college student unions will be selling them on the day for a bit cheaper than Ryder and Amies etc.

figgetyfig - my friend got a venus fly trap towards the end of last year, it was absolutely tiny, but it's been catching things every so often, and I even got a text in the middle of the holidays saying "OMG Vinnie (its name :rolleyes: ) just ate a wasp! I'm so proud of him!" :biggrin:
Reply 70
What's the 48th digit of pi in Cambridge?
Reply 71
fishpaste

42 :tongue:
Reply 72
fishpaste

Does that imply that it varies elsewhere?? **yes yes... pity the stupid historian** :confused:
Reply 73
Willla2
will we need to buy an ironing board and iron or what normally happens ironing wise.

No real point in buying an ironing board. Most colleges provide irons (they are so crap they barely work), and ironing boards (even cheap ironing boards do the trick, although cheap irons may not). If in desperate need to iron in one's own room, don't bother with an ironing board, just lay your towel over a table and that does the trick fine (it's all I have used over the last year).
Reply 74
ASNaC
No real point in buying an ironing board. Most colleges provide irons (they are so crap they barely work), and ironing boards (even cheap ironing boards do the trick, although cheap irons may not). If in desperate need to iron in one's own room, don't bother with an ironing board, just lay your towel over a table and that does the trick fine (it's all I have used over the last year).

Yep this works. Also get a clothes horse and practice hanging your clothes just right so no-one will notice they haven't been ironed.

PS I have my college children! Yayyyy!!!
Reply 75
MadNatSci
Yep this works. Also get a clothes horse and practice hanging your clothes just right so no-one will notice they haven't been ironed.

PS I have my college children! Yayyyy!!!

I don't have a clothes horse either :mad: . Obviously I have had a deprived (or possibly even depraved) first year...
Reply 76
Helenia
As for a desk chair, it should be ok, though you might be a bit pushed for space, unless you can persuade them to take away one of the ones that's already there.

I should point out that in Clare at least you have to ask for permission for said chair at the beginning of each year. It's unlikely that they'd turn you down but they do do inspections a few weeks in of all rooms to check everyone is obeying the rules!
(Oh and bedders are supposed to report you, but some are too nice to)

Alaric.
Reply 77
ASNaC
I don't have a clothes horse either :mad: . Obviously I have had a deprived (or possibly even depraved) first year...

Oooh, get one, they're useful and you can pick them up fairly cheaply if you look around!
Reply 78
Fluffstar
Meh.
Actually YEAH!! how cool would it be if we were related?? I could always divorce my college mums and yours could adopt me :wink: neheheee.
Also I know there's an ASDA in Cambridge - which is cheaper than Sainsbury's, but none of the freshers stuff mentions it.
Any current students? Why do you pay more for your food? :wink: Is it too far away? Is there no free bus like down here? :biggrin: YEH! old ppl...

There did seem to be lots of money taking things, more than I expected anyway! It's the fact they add it all up throughout the term (I think, some length of time anyway!) and then give you a big bill! How can I plan ahead if I don't know how much I've already spent? Rent was cheaper than I expected though and there are grant things I think I'd be entitled to, should I need them.

We have family friends who live in Buntingford (not too far away) who have now offered to take me to a big supermarket somewhere whenever I need to do a big shop! They've also offered me attic space for the holidays! :cool: In return I baby-sit and visit for Sunday lunch once a month, good deal I think!

These photos you sent the other Newnham Katy, (who spells her name wrong! :tongue:) I want to see them too!!!
Reply 79
Fluffstar
Meh.

ASDA? There's an ASDA?!! Why did no-one tell me this?!

I know there's a Tesco's (near me next year, woo) but no idea about an ASDA... apart from there might be one quite far out *racking brain* but it always comes down to 'can I be bothered to walk all that way or shall I pay more' - so you pay more :biggrin:

The student loan does whittle down once you've paid your rent :frown: But if you get a summer job it does help a lot. Also doing a bit of work over Christmas and Easter helps, and if you have a student-run college bar you can work there for some extra cash during the term. I may end up resorting to desperate money-saving/earning tactics this year though due to circumstances beyond my control..! Anyone reckon Sainsbury's Big Issue guy will split his magazines with me so I can sell some too?

Latest