The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
yup. i took mine because i wanted the challenge and because it seemed interesting, but explained my decision to unis as evidence of my commitment to the subject and to do more than just the basic requirement.
Reply 21
Do you think that universities will consider private lessons to research, discuss and debate remarkable literary figures (starting from Chaucer and going to the present day) indicative of commitment to the subject?
Reply 22
AhorrentlyPretentious
Do you think that universities will consider private lessons to research, discuss and debate remarkable literary figures (starting from Chaucer and going to the present day) indicative of commitment to the subject?

i would've thought so!

aea requires no extra tuition/extra-curricular knowledge whatsoever and is considered indicative of commitment, so to be developing your knowledge and independently pursuing these lines of enquiry would, to my mind, suggest that you were definitely committed to the subject.
Reply 23
Pippaaa
i would've thought so!

aea requires no extra tuition/extra-curricular knowledge whatsoever and is considered indicative of commitment, so to be developing your knowledge and independently pursuing these lines of enquiry would, to my mind, suggest that you were definitely committed to the subject.

w00t! The only reason I'm doing it is because I've already got my A in Eng Lit and I couldn't bear the thought of not studying it for a whole year before I go to uni. Obviously, I'd still have read but English is just so competitive. It makes me want to weep sometimes! I wouldn't be surprised if I was rejected five times over.
*ellen marine*
I'm applying to study English, and if I sat an AEA paper it would be in English also. I suppose that's why I hadn't considered the possibility of failing it - I mean, if I'm applying to study a subject at uni I would hope I'd cope with an AEA in the same subject.

I've kept up my academia by doing an extra A-level (I'm 21, so it's been three years since I got my original A-levels).. but I've looked on the sites for my chosen universities and couldn't find anything to say they view it as particularly important - it's just an added bonus.

I think I'll give my old English teacher a call tomorrow and see what he reckons. Thanks for your advice! :smile:

Oh okay, well good for you :smile:
Just...quite people at my school did it, several of which were doing English at uni, and few managed a merit/distinction. One girl went to Oxford but failed the AEA.

Oh, and while I've not heard them described as 'archaic' I have heard that it's a little unknown how fair they are...they're more subjectively marked than other papers and as they haven't been around too long some unis are waiting to see if they really do show the great pupils from the good or not :smile:
Are you sure that the deadline for English AEA entries is tomorrow? Because many people don't enter for it until a university puts it in their offer or something (not that this happens often), and I can't find anything about it on OCR's website.

Sorry, just wondering, as I've put it on my UCAS form but I'm pretty sure that I haven't been entered for it yet.
Reply 26
Not entirely sure.. it's just what it looks like: http://www.ocr.org.uk/administration/general/timetables.html

If you scroll down to the table, there's something about estimated entries on 10th October, and nothing about "final entries" anywhere.. O.o
Yeah, mm, I'd assume that that isn't the final date or anything, as it does seem really early, and the date for asking for modified papers is ages away.
Reply 28
Thought it seemed really early! I'll go and check with my exams officer tomorrow, though I'm sure he won't have the foggiest (no-one at my old high school has ever sat an AEA), so I may have to just to the whole thing myself.

Wheee!

Latest

Trending

Trending