The Student Room Group
How have you never got below an A? You got a D. It's less likely that any unis that offer ABB will take you, though if you have some sort of extenuating circumstances that will explain your crap coursework mark then your tutor should write about it and it might help. Though really, you got a D. Unless there was a serious ****-up or you had some serious extenuating circumstances, I'm not entirely sure you deserve to be predicted an A myself.

How can you come here looking for sympathy about being predicted a C when you got a C at AS? A2 is harder, and the chances of you doing well in your retaken coursework are slim because coursework is long and arduous. Even if you are an excellent student, you're unlikely to get an A with that D under your belt (though it's possible, of course).

(Of course, if there were extenuating circumstances, most of this post doesn't apply to you - you just didn't mention any, so I assumed you didn't have any.)
Reply 2
No, sorry if I was a bit unclear. I didn't want to be predicted an A (as that would be unrealistic at this stage), but a B is reasonable. I was 2 marks off a C in the coursework, and got an A in the exam, so that would have averaged out to a B is what I meant. And the fact that I was told to redo my coursework (along with 5 other class mates), and now after having done several drafts my teacher said it's much much better (meaning I'll probably get more than only 2 extra marks), and the fact that I'm the only one from my group so far that has put in the time and effort to complete a new coursework shows a bit of commitment I’d have thought...

When I meant A, I meant in GCSEs (courseworks and exams), but I agree that's nothing to be comparing A-levels to. And the D will be long gone by the time I finish my a-levels (as that's the one I've now improved on).

There were a lot of other circumstances, reasons etc. why I got a bad coursework grade (and I was really ill during the exam, thought I had completely failed it, so was a bit surprised to find out that I got an A), but as I said I don't want to be listing all my reasons and circumstances as it will just end up being another essay and I don't want any sympathy on my half or your personal opinions. All I want to know is what I can do now.
Aristoteles
No, sorry if I was a bit unclear. I didn't want to be predicted an A (as that would be unrealistic at this stage), but a B is reasonable. I was 2 marks off a C in the coursework, and got an A in the exam, so that would have averaged out to a B is what I meant. And the fact that I was told to redo my coursework (along with 5 other class mates), and now after having done several drafts my teacher said it's much much better (meaning I'll probably get more than only 2 extra marks), and the fact that I'm the only one from my group so far that has put in the time and effort to complete a new coursework shows a bit of commitment I’d have thought...

When I meant A, I meant in GCSEs (courseworks and exams), but I agree that's nothing to be comparing A-levels to. And the D will be long gone by the time I finish my a-levels (as that's the one I've now improved on).

There were a lot of other circumstances, reasons etc. why I got a bad coursework grade (and I was really ill during the exam, thought I had completely failed it, so was a bit surprised to find out that I got an A), but as I said I don't want to be listing all my reasons and circumstances as it will just end up being another essay and I don't want any sympathy on my half or your personal opinions. All I want to know is what I can do now.

Well, you can't do much. If you think your teacher is acting unprofessionally and not in your best interests, I suppose you could report her to a slightly more senior member of staff, but that's quite drastic. First of all though - assuming you've talked to her about it properly and she's still refused - it'd probably be best to see if your tutor or your parents will have a word with her and change her mind. If none of this really works, then the best you could do is to get your tutor to write about it in your reference, but that would be difficult as he can't really write something different to your teacher because that would be contradictory.

If nothing works out, there isn't much you can do, sorry.
Reply 4
You should get the B prediction. Your teacher's just being an idiot!
Reply 5
ok number 1 i must agree your teacher is a female dog. number 2 take it up with the headmaster or mistress cause you have showen you are capabble of atleast a B and you have got a Grades and the coursework was only a blip. 3rd, if you gt ABC most unis WILL mosty liekly give an offer if you hav got a strogn personal statement and good references. eg an ABB course will have a minimum limit of ABC so dont worry. bdw for some confidence boost my mate got into an ABB course with 3C's predicted last year!!!!!!!!!!! he got into lancaster but was offered by newcastle and aston
Reply 6
I'll have another talk with her tomorrow, and see if I can finally convince her somehow. However, I don't want to get my parents involved with this or report her as I think that's a bit extreme (also considering she's the head of sixth form at my school) and that I'll be taught by her during the following year. About my tutor writing it in his reference was what I was unsure about, for the reason you just stated.

I guess if it doesn't go up, then I'll just have to heavily rely on my portfolio, personal statement and make sure my tutor writes me a good reference. :\

edit: thanks trickz and hashimali. Although she's being a bit silly, do you think it's really that necessary to take it up with the head?
Reply 7
generalebriety
How have you never got below an A? You got a D. It's less likely that any unis that offer ABB will take you, though if you have some sort of extenuating circumstances that will explain your crap coursework mark then your tutor should write about it and it might help. Though really, you got a D. Unless there was a serious ****-up or you had some serious extenuating circumstances, I'm not entirely sure you deserve to be predicted an A myself.

How can you come here looking for sympathy about being predicted a C when you got a C at AS? A2 is harder, and the chances of you doing well in your retaken coursework are slim because coursework is long and arduous. Even if you are an excellent student, you're unlikely to get an A with that D under your belt (though it's possible, of course).

(Of course, if there were extenuating circumstances, most of this post doesn't apply to you - you just didn't mention any, so I assumed you didn't have any.)

errm that's abit strong, i personally got an A in a subject where i had a low C (few ups off a D) in an AS coursework.. and i'm not really an excellent student. people jump grades all the time from AS to A2, especially with the ums system a B or a C could only be a few marks off an A. i personally think that anyone who has a B that isn't very low ums (ie 5-10 off a C) deserves to be predicted an A, simply because due to the current climate where most schools predict one grade above the AS result, and some even two grades above, anything else would be unfair.
Reply 8
Aristoteles
I'll have another talk with her tomorrow, and see if I can finally convince her somehow. However, I don't want to get my parents involved with this or report her as I think that's a bit extreme (also considering she's the head of sixth form at my school) and that I'll be taught by her during the following year. About my tutor writing it in his reference was what I was unsure about, for the reason you just stated.

I guess if it doesn't go up, then I'll just have to heavily rely on my portfolio, personal statement and make sure my tutor writes me a good reference. :\

edit: thanks trickz and hashimali. Although she's being a bit silly, do you think it's really that necessary to take it up with the head?

i'd talk to whoever does all the ucas stuff at your school first, see what they say.
Reply 9
Hey luv... I had the same prob now im on aab .... listen rantttttt at your teachers and get the rents involved.... its worth it... u deserve the A in philosophy.... seriously, the school is there to help you.... go and murder them female dogs lol .... and let me know how it goes...if it doesn't work post back and we'll think of something else...or maybe work really hard coz predictions can change you know...theyre not final until you sent off your application x x x
Reply 10
contauri- thanks, I'm not sure who that is. I know who takes care of all the things like decling grades etc. is that who you mean? Or do you mean the person in school that you send your ucas form to once it's done?

sara- thanks : ) but I don't think I deserve an A prediction, but a B is more than reasonable. This teacher is like the female version of Omar al-Bashir. She's crazy and stubborn (a deadly combination). No matter how much I try, it will be blocked by her black shield. However, I do remember an analogy she used a while back regarding predicted grades, which I could use against her. That might help. I was meant to send off my ucas form today, but didn't because of this. So now it's either tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. I'll see what happens tomorrow and post here if anything does happen (which it probably won't)
Face/desk :biggrin:

Beat up Sean, that may help but apart from that dude, I dunno. If you do eventually get the grades in the exam you should take a gap year an re-apply even though you don't want to. You don't want to be stuck in a ****ty uni.
Reply 12
Does your philosophy teacher actually get to submit your predicted grade to UCAS, or is she simply recommending to your tutor that you should be predicted a grade C? If that latter is the case, I'd work on persuading the person writing your reference that you should be predicted a B. Your reasons seem pretty solid so there's no reason why they shouldn't, particularly because it will help you in your application and isn't wholly unfesiable.
Reply 13
Ewok's doing that right now, don't you worry Edward.

It's just going to make her look stupid when I get a much higher grade, but I see what you're getting at. I'd hate to take a gap year, but if it comes to that then I have no other choice as I don't want to spend 7 years of my life at a uni I hate.

AhorrentlyPretentious- she's the one that decided on and submitted the grade for that subject. But thank you for the advice. : )
Reply 14
Aristoteles
Ewok's doing that right now, don't you worry Edward.

It's just going to make her look stupid when I get a much higher grade, but I see what you're getting at. I'd hate to take a gap year, but if it comes to that then I have no other choice as I don't want to spend 7 years of my life at a uni I hate.

AhorrentlyPretentious- she's the one that decided on and submitted the grade for that subject. But thank you for the advice. : )

Blimey! The female dog description sounds pretty accurate! Does she have a personal vendetta against you? Tutor's at my school predict D grade students As if they ask!
Come to Norway and join the army for a year :biggrin: You get paid for a year and it looks excellent on your resume.
Reply 16
She was fine, really kind until she got pregnant and was on maternity leave (for an enitre year) comes back as a wicked witch (like the one from The Wizard of Oz).

teddy- you wish I was there with you and jim carving and polishing those wooden shoes and eating potatoes and spanking your soldier friends with your towels in the showers.
Aristoteles
She was fine, really kind until she got pregnant and was on maternity leave (for an enitre year) comes back as a wicked witch (like the one from The Wizard of Oz).

teddy- you wish I was there with you and jim carving and polishing those wooden shoes and eating potatoes and spanking your soldier friends with your towels in the showers.

Pants/creamed.
Reply 18
Aristoteles

actually, it's not going to make her look stupid, it's going to make her look like an excellent teacher.

as for your second point -- why apply to a uni that you hate then? i could understand if you'd already sent it off and had changed your mind but it was too late, but if you're sending it off and applying to two unis you know you'll hate... idk, i thought the point was to apply to unis you liked, as well as being able to get into.

as for an actual solution; if you genuinely feel the prediction is unfair then go to someone slightly more senior and present your case to them.

Latest

Trending

Trending