The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

to apply for a job in my gap year (starting next year, from around july/august/september) when should i start looking/applying? :smile:
end of may/junish i'd say.... if you wanted you could try and get accepted for agency work befoer then and just increase your availablity after this time while you look for a permanent position.
tami*
to apply for a job in my gap year (starting next year, from around july/august/september) when should i start looking/applying? :smile:

Up to you. I applied as soon as I finished my exams (28th June) and had interviews within a few weeks. I waited a while bc they're quite slow. I could have started work in July/Aug but went on holiday.

I did look earlier in the year but no suitable vacancies. I guess just apply when you see a suitable vacancy.
Reply 24
No Future
HCA in which department? I'm an HCA and didn't have to sit any tests. I applied to a few HCA jobs but attended only two interviews one for each job (got an offer after the 2nd). Both times I had two interviewers and both were nursing staff, usually quite senior e.g. a matron (manager types) and sister.

Weirdly the 1st interview went really well and they seemed to like my answers and I thought I'd got the job! Never heard back though...

The 2nd interview was tougher and they seemed to push me a bit, but I got the job :smile:

I can't remember the exact questions, but examples of the kind of things I was asked:

- Why do you want to be an HCA?
- What is your understanding of what your responsibilities will be?
- Are you a team player? How would you deal with conflict?
- What is good teamwork?
- Why is good teamwork important?
- Are you squeamish? (to which I replied: Um no, not really. Their response: what do you mean, 'not really'?? lol)
- You seem to have quite good exam results, why do you want to be an HCA?
- Are you flexible? Can you work nights, weekends etc?
- What are your career aspirations? Do you want to go into nursing?
- How long do you intend to work here?

Good luck!

congrats on getting the job :biggrin: i've been invited for another interview, about a week after the first. not sure i want it (quite far and would have to use the m25 in the rushiest hours) but better than nothing, so i'll go ofc. the first interview is for a respiratory ward (woo!).

thanks for that up there. the interview qs. reaaally will come handy when i'm stressing and trying to prepare this coming week hehe. i'm going have to watch what i say... would it be bad to be honest and say i want to go to medschool and that this is for some patient experience? i don't want to offend the nurses by making them think i believe being a doctor is far superior or anything like that :-/

how did you reply to the first question? :smile: i've no idea what i'd say to that...

thanksss for your reply, so much :suith:
be tactful. many nurses have SEVERE problems with med students. maybe just say that you think you want to work in healthcare and want this experience to see if you'll enjoy it....
tami: You're welcome

ph9: No problem - I remember I was quite nervous beforehand because I didn't know what to expect but it was okay in the end!
Ooh, go for it - good for you :smile:
I'd say it depends on the nurse/person who interviews you. Some, but not all nurses do have a thing against doctors. I agree with bright star - could emphasise your interest in health care etc.
No Future
tami: You're welcome

ph9: No problem - I remember I was quite nervous beforehand because I didn't know what to expect but it was okay in the end!
Ooh, go for it - good for you :smile:
I'd say it depends on the nurse/person who interviews you. Some, but not all nurses do have a thing against doctors. I agree with bright star - could emphasise your interest in health care etc.

i'm not saying all nurses feel like that. but it's hard to tell what they think until it's too late in this kind of situation. tread carefully!
Woo I've got two more interviews :biggrin: Both for hospital receptionist. Got 2 months work on reception for the council through a temp agency though, so not sure if I should take it:confused: Not sure if I'd be able to leave if I got one of the other jobs. Hmmm. How long did you guys wait for people to get back to you after interviews? I had an interview about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything, probs haven't got it, but would still like to know!
Reply 29
nofuture and bright star, thanks again. i'll watch what i say lol.

marvi, usually when i have an interview they tell me when they'll get back to me. or they'll say if i have the job they'll get back to me in x days. i say go to the interviews and take the job if you get any :biggrin: that way you're getting some sort of hospital experience... always good to work in that environment now and if you absolutely hate it lol then you have time to back out... good luck!
bright star
i'm not saying all nurses feel like that. but it's hard to tell what they think until it's too late in this kind of situation. tread carefully!

i was being general, not disagreeing w/your comments (some nurses do indeed have severe probs!! lol)
Wooo I've got a job! As long as refs and occ health form are ok. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Admin type stuff.

How where your interviews ph9? You heard back yet? I still havent heard back from my first interview which was like 3 weeks ago, but dont care now lol. This time I heard back a few hours after the interview, which was pretty nice. :wink:
Reply 32
congrats marvi :biggrin::biggrin:

had one of the interviews today... they kept telling me that they've had LOADS of applicants lol so i think i'm taking that as a 'don't expect us to give you the job' hint. looks like it's back to major job hunting for me...

Latest