The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades

hi everyone,
In the stressful process of UCAS at the moment (which i'm sure many others are!)

I'd just like to ask if anyone knows which set of predicted grades take priority over: UCAS gcse tarrif (BBB) for me, or your teacher's predicted grades, as i am quite worried as i am applying to durham manchester leeds birmingham and keele and the subject i am applying to (politics) was my lowest AS grade ( i got ABBBC). My teacher says he will predict me an A as he thinks with the right amount of effort i can do this! But will the unis look down on my grade? I really really want to do politics!

Thanks!
When we were filling UCAS in at college, we were told to use the predicted grades given to us by our subject teachers.
I think they took into account all our work over the year and any coursework and exams that had already been done and came up with a predicted grade - which was what we used.
Check with your tutors specifically they may have another way of doing it.
Reply 2
pretty sure the teacher ones take preference :smile:

gcse tariff predictions are, to the best of my knowledge, barely accurate. my gcses predicted me BCCD or something similar. *shrug* i think they're recognised as being extremely inaccurate; every single person i know outperformed their tariff prediction by quite some way, so i'd think ucas/universities would put more stock in predictions made by somebody who's taught you than off a computer-generated prediction. particularly as there are some subjects not commonly available at gcse that you might study at a level; how could the tariff predictions accurately estimate what someone was likely to get in a level psychology, for example, if they hadn't studied it at gcse?
Reply 3
my gcses predicted me AAA. Wish i got these predictions not BBB/c
Reply 4
The GCSE tariff predicted me Ds across the board and I got AABB (plus all As for my FM modules) so basically the prediction formulae are rubbish!! I think most universities will agree that the teachers' predicted grades are far more reliable as they know the level that you are working at.
Reply 5
i know so many guys who didnt do incredible at GCSE As Bs and Cs but upped their game and came out with 4As at AS. It can be done, GCSES do not indicate anything
Reply 6
I found it quite difficult to put much effort into the GCSE subjects that just didn't interest me, especially if I had no intention of doing them at A level, hence a pretty mixed bag of results. Now in the 6th form I'm doing the subjects that I'm good at and enjoy so I don't have much trouble getting good marks.

Latest

Trending

Trending