The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
1. health and social care single award... actually good.
2. health and social care dual award... less interesting.
3. religious studies... teacher expects to give us sheets and know it there and then!
1) Biology-love it! (but thats the kind of geek i am :biggrin: )
2) German-hilarious!
3) Maths
4) Chemistry

xxx
Maths (C1): Pretty simple, not much more difficult than GCSE and I hope I don't have any trouble with this.

Physics: Doing Mechanics and Molecular kinetic theory, it's probably the one I'm finding the most difficult, but it's still pretty simple, the only difficult part is deciding how to answer a question, then it's just basic maths.

Statistics (S1): It's boring and tedious, but very easy. The teacher's jokes has became funnier though.

Computing: I like the subject, I just find it very easy because I already had programming experience and knowledge of binary.
Reply 24
Top would be English Literature- I find it challenging enough to be interesting but I'm naturally good at it. I'm enjoying the texts we're studying and the class is a nice ize and its really relaxed.

Second History, again I find it really interesting. Especially our topic on Henry Tudor. Its also quite a laugh, the teachers are cool and I have a nice class again.

Third is Classical Civilisations which is nice and relaxing, not too hard. Its easy stuff to learn and I find it really interesting as well. Its possibly the funniest lesson I have!

Then waaaaaaaaay down at the bottom is chemistry. I knew it was going to be a challenge but some of it is ridiculous! Although I have to blame my first ever U on my cover teacher (the normal one is recovering from malaria :s-smilie:). She barely speaks english, confuses even herself, never allows us to take proper notes, doesn't explain anything and is generally rubbish.

But I'm hoping realistically for four As so I'll percevere! Then drop it at the end of the year:biggrin:
Reply 25
hmm....

Philosophy (best lesson ever)
Economics
Chemistry (hard but when you get behind it its really interesting)
Biology (teaching is a bit...*cough*)

Maths

Tutorial...if that counts as a lesson..WTF IS THE POINT (if you guys dont have tutorial its when we do gen studies...but only in the second term - until then we do like "learning to learn" and that crap...and im just like...yeah im 16 i think ive grasped it)
Reply 26
( ON A SIDE NOTE: You're 16 and think that you've grasped it; what do you think I felt like when I HAD to attend, it was compulsory, a 'Study Skills' meeting. I was like, if you think that I really need to have a lesson in how to study, then you're sadly mistaken!! Just learn to embrace them, nod and say 'yes' in all the right places and they tend to leave you alone after that. )
!MEna
Chemistry just bumped down to #4 for me - I got a D in a progress test; one of the worst in the year as well. What's ridiculous is I didn't actually cheat like everyone else and find out from other classes who did the test before us and find out every single question and answer.

It's not THAT bad for a first unit test...right lol?

Regardless, my day got a lot better when my old school rang me to tell me that my GCSE Double Award Science remarks came back and went up by 9 marks from an AA to an A*A*, thus saving me £135 and giving me a total of 5A*'s and 4A's. :smile:

Firstly, congratulations on the remark :biggrin: It's scary how many mistakes the examiners are making these days. :s-smilie:

Secondly, a D is not that bad at all .. I had friends in sixth form who would get Ds/Es/Us in their class unit tests and when they did the actual exams they came out with AAA/AAB :smile: Just go over what you got wrong and revise them points once again .. in Chemistry make sure you do lots of past papers but then again you've only started AS so it might be a bit early for that :smile:

Good Luck!
Economics:
The lesson is hilarious, the teacher is allways makeing sure you understand the work and involves the whole class. The work is also much more intresting than I thought it would be.

ICT
Teacher helps with work and gose through everything and lets people make notes, aswell as handing out her own pre-made notes. The work is a bit naff at the moment due to me knowing it allready so it should pick up soon....

Business
Its not that I find it intresting. It just makes me want to fall asleep, the teacher makes the lesson drag but when doing an exercise I enjoy it.

Physics
Totaly not how I expected it to be, and eaisly the hardest subject I have ever done. The lesson drags and the teacher talks to me like I am 10 years old.
Reply 29
I am doing A2 now but couldn't resist :cool:

1. Psychology - fun teacher, interesting stuff to learn, and nothing difficult, great stuff.

2. Biology - I couldn't decide whether to put this 2nd or last, due to an incompetant teacher, but because the syllabus is really interesting, I stuck it here.

3. Maths - It drags on a bit, but it's an awesome feeling managing to understood it :biggrin:

4. Chemistry - At A2 it seems a lot easier, because the basic concepts are all studied at AS, so it's quite a breeze, but, alas, it's chemistry and quite boring.

5. ICT - I am fairly computer literate, but the coursework... screenshots screenshots screenshots!!!1

6. Critical Thinking - I don't necessarily hate this subject, but it was pretty pointless and was constantly looking at the clock during.
Reply 30
...Doing A2 but Ill put it here anyway.

1) Geography- not the best subject but got this awesome teacher who is so frigging passionate about geography which makes up for it! :smile:
2) Physics- Even though, I may not be tht good at it but it's truly an awesome subject. :smile:
3) Chemistry- not the best teacher in teh world but very very good stuff to learn.
4) Biology- teacher with a beard, got somethign against beard Im afraid. :P Biology is easy, just a memorising subject, nothing more. :smile:
History - most interesting
Critical Thinking, if that counts.
English
RS
Geography
Reply 32
dans
( ON A SIDE NOTE: You're 16 and think that you've grasped it; what do you think I felt like when I HAD to attend, it was compulsory, a 'Study Skills' meeting. I was like, if you think that I really need to have a lesson in how to study, then you're sadly mistaken!! Just learn to embrace them, nod and say 'yes' in all the right places and they tend to leave you alone after that. )

lol tar for the tip :P
1. Economics -- I was thinking this would be my least favourite, but I love it because some of it's difficult, you know? I love the way you can take something which has huge consequences and put it into a tiny diagram, and I love trying to order it in my head. But it's definitely the hardest. Also, I've drawn so many s + d diagrams in the last few weeks that my hand starts to itch in the couple of days between lessons. :P

2. Politics -- I'm actually hating this, just because of how basic it is. It's moving so slowly, and I haven't been taught anything I didn't already know. However, I enjoy the two lessons a week with one of the teachers, because he likes it when I argue with him; so, he'll teach us a bit of constitutional theory, but with a biased spin, and I'll shout him down.

3. English Lit -- God, it's amazing that a teacher is managing to ruin this for me. I have two teachers: one of whom is the amazing inspiring teacher who I've had for 4 years (and whose lesson I help out in for my 'responsibility'). And, although we're doing Gillian Clark (*yawn*), I can tolerate her lessons. But the other one is with some nutty Drama teacher, who spent two weeks teaching us narrative theory, which she told us we didn't need to know; and then we studied ome random short-story we're not even doing. (That was just so that she could imprint us with her ridiculous, psychoanalytical method of analysing Literature.) And then she only gave me a B on the essay, because I'm "resistent" to her ideas, even though she told me that it was intellectually interesting, and that I should be getting an A. Now, we're finally studying a course-text. However, this is still incredibly irritating, because her teaching style is to analyse everything on a microscopic level. It's Steet Car Named Desire, and she forces people to act it out (pointlessly making them act properly), then stops it, and tells us all the sexual references in each line. It's as if she doesn't understand that not every word of literature has a sub-text -- specifically, a sexual sub-text. For example: Stanley comes home with the meat from the butchers, and in the stage directions, he chucks it to her... I guess you can see where she went with THAT one. God, I hate her.

Sorry for the unstructured rant.

4. History -- ...We actually did spend four lessons analysing portraits of Lizzy the First. I **** you not. They also keep bugging me to make proper notes, and I don't *learn* like that. It's just terribly dull; the only plus point is that I was able to listen to my ipod for 2hours 20minutes the other week, without a teacher noticing.
Reply 34
1. Politics - thought I would hate it but love all the discussion and feels like break from other subjects.

2. Geography - not really a fan of the physical section but human is interesting

3. History - okay content but feel really behind as teacher teaches us with handouts, cut and stick activities and extremely basic powerpoints :s-smilie:.

4. English Lit. - I do enjoy this but the class feels so awkward as only a few people contribute while the rest just sit there, have to put hand up to break silences when teacher asks a question! :|
1. Chemistry. One of the teachers is a pain (loves the sound of his own voice), but i'm enjoying the content, and it isn't all that hard yet. Oh, how I love titrations :rolleyes:

2. Spanish. Loving all the grammar, and so much more interesting than GCSE, but it comes second because one teacher is infuriatingly slow, and would happily natter on about derivations of words all lesson if she wasn't stopped. Perfectly nice though (and a Cambridge graduate).

3. History. Again, enjoying the content of the course, and writing essays where you can offer your own opinions. Teachers aren't great, both old, and more historians than teachers, but they know their stuff, so I can live with it.

4. Maths. Not terribly difficult, I just don't like my class or the lessons. My only subject where the teaching is good though - we get through a lot each lesson - especially in differentiation.
1) History - despite the ridiculous amount of books we need to read
2) Maths
3) Latin
4) Psychology
I'm at A2, but for AS it was...

1) French - could really do it, depressingly hard at times, but loved it.
2) Psychology - enjoyed the lessons so much
3) German - had a love-hate relationship with it.
4) History - dropped it as soon as I could. :biggrin:
English Lit - One teacher is an opinionated, narrow minded ass but the other is inspiring and exciting! We are doing Jane Eyre at the moment and it is one of my favourite books anyway.

History - Really interesting even though it is a LOT of writing

Maths - Simple after doing Add Maths last year (even though I got an E). Finished the c1 topics, planning on sitting it in Jan.

Biology - Good teacher, finding it pretty easy.

French - I find it interesting but a huge step up from GCSE and my teachers aren't that great.
Reply 39
For my Alevels
1.) Further maths - those complex numbers and statistical formulas i crave over, S6 here i come with FP3

2.) Chemistry - How much I love regular detentions for putting pottasium in water baths without permission

3.) ICT - Programming, cant beat it!!!! Java, pearl, html, sql

4.) History - Hitler and cold war was the most interesting part of histroy

5.) Maths - Well just a less interesting version of fmaths

Latest