The Student Room Group

Why not Aston?

Well im hopefully doing accounting and finance in 2008 and was looking to apply to the likes of Lancaster, Nottingham, Loughborough, and haven't made a final decision on the other 2. but what i want to know is why does it seem like there aren't too many people interested in the accounting for management 4 year course they do. it's clearly a top university and a top business school do people not pick it simply because they don't see it on the league tables or are there other reasons because i think that it seems like a decent choice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it is a good business school but to be honest i dont think it has as many links with for example the big 4 as alot of other universities
Reply 2
oh right. im sure that i've read in a few places it has really good links and the best employment rate in the country.
Reply 3
or at least it was a couple of years ago and its still now around the top 3 or something for graduation employment
Reply 4
kaal1010
or at least it was a couple of years ago and its still now around the top 3 or something for graduation employment

My cousin is at Aston doing Business and he is loving every minute of it. Its all about the experience as well as the work.
Reply 5
what has he done the work placement or is he doing it?
I am currently at Aston studying for a BSc in HRM and it is fantastic. From the 1st minute you get there after a mind blowing freshers week you are made to appreciate just how well you've done to get into a prestigious business school and just how globally recognised it is. In my opinion its the best one bar The London School of Economics which is number 1 so really there is no point putting places like lancaster near the top unless you really felt at home at those uni's
Reply 7
it may have good links with industry kaal as it is in a good location englands second capital but with the big 4 i can assure you that it doesnt.
Reply 8
to be honest the university of birmingham is actually better for accounting and finance. also so i dont contradict myself what i meant by my earlier comment is it hasnt got as much links with major accounting firms as alot of other universities. if you really had all this data on aston why did you send the post and then wen i was trying to help you why did you try and make me sound foolish. ask yourself this do you really think if a employability ratio is high then that means you have a better chance of getting into a big 4 because you might aswell just go anywhere in london if you think that.
Reply 9
All of the big four come to Aston, if you're determined and good enough, I wouldn't discount it - They certainly seemed interested enough in us when I attended their recruitment sessions. Not that im claiming Aston gets more grads into the big four than anywhere else, thats clearly not going to be true.
Reply 10
firstly i don't know what makes you think i was trying to make you sound foolish. secondly who said anything about me having all this data about aston, the thread simply 'WHY NOT ASTON' and i was asking what reasons there was to not apply there. all i said was that i read somewhere the employment figures were decent which clearly isn't a bad thing. i didnt mention anything about 'top 4' or anything like that theres no need to get your back up over nothing just asking for peoples opinions.
Reply 11
what makes you say birmingham is better than aston for accounting. i think aston's supposed to be by far better than birmingham when it comes to business related subjects. what do you mean birminghams a better uni to go to because it looks better or has a better social life/atmosphere?
Reply 12
sorry for the over reaction then.

the thing why i would choose birmingham university over aston and many other universities over aston is because its got way more of a global recognition than aston has, univeristy isnt all abot the quality of the course ill give you an example manchesters course for accounting and finance is wicked but i wouldnt put it down because i dont like how it is a city uni scattrd all over the place. the thing that inhibits aston for me is that if i went there did well got a decent qualification what you have to ask yourself is how good it looks on paper going to aston university. You may be different to me and think it is really good coming from there but the ranking for the sunday times is 34 slipping from 15 in the previous vote, the guardians rating is good but employability being high doesnt mean the place is really good because the only reason why it is high is because its in birmingham anyway.
Reply 13
thats my opinion anyway you dont have to listen to it aston students might be thinking im talking rubbish but thats just what i think
Reply 14
lucasm
aston students might be thinking im talking rubbish

Yep
Reply 15
sry but i doubt whether birmingham is reputable for accounting.,.more than h aston. aston is much more specialized in business just as Cass and maybe LSE ..:smile:
Reply 16
accounting for management is not the same degree as accounting and finance, there is a big difference. so it's a bit pointless comparing aston to birmingham because your talking about two different courses.
Aston is a fantastic business school, top 5 in the UK, and the rising entry grades reflect that, as well as the academics we attract, and the number of companies who come to talk to us, not to mention take aston students on placement years. Aston Business School is held by some, if not many in the same regard as warwick and LSE. it really is a top notch business school.
Reply 18
lodzinski
Aston Business School is held by some, if not many in the same regard as warwick and LSE. it really is a top notch business school.

Hmmm... last year from my school like 5 ppl got in, and some of them almost failed IB, and their predicted gr. were like 32-34 ... so i wouldn't say it THAT good...
IB is different to a-levels, not to mention this year the entry grades have gone up to AAB.

Latest

Trending

Trending