The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I thought what greed at first but she's loaded, can't need the money.
It's just petty and mean-spirited I think. WTF is the problem with them building that?
Pfft, I expected some big controversy when I clicked the link. She's just greedy, she should be thankful that Harry Potter is so famous and made her as rich as she is.
Reply 3
While it is of course entirely her right, I can't help but feel it's a bit sad.
Reply 4
i dont think it is her right actually, they are not making money out of the event so whats the problem? why should they pay her money to build a castle which is slightly similar to the hogwarts one? ok, so they are using characters from the book as well so i suppose they should have asked permission but no way should she get any money out of this
if she wins the case i am actually going to write hate mail to her - i might just write some angry letter anyway because 1) its funny and 2) she is a selfish bitch
It's be like Steven Speilberg sueing someone who desgined a hoverboard after seeing 'Back to the Future II'. It's just crazy.
Bad karma for her.
Reply 7
Yeah that's pretty unnecessary. Some people evidently have more money than compassion.
Reply 8
bindymackenzie
i dont think it is her right actually, they are not making money out of the event so whats the problem?

Using intellectual property without permission.
Reply 9
Tufts
Using intellectual property without permission.

what the hell? fine, without getting into some crap argument about the laws of copyright because i am a mere 10 year old and you are some law student, i accept that she does have a 'right' to sue because its her idea/creation,etc i just think she is petty to do it.
Reply 10
bindymackenzie
what the hell? fine, without getting into some crap argument about the laws of copyright because i am a mere 10 year old and you are some law student, i accept that she does have a 'right' to sue because its her idea/creation,etc i just think she is petty to do it.

I do not defend the morality of her actions, just the legality of them.

For example, say you spent years writing a dissertation. One day someone hacks into your computer and steals the dissertation without you knowing, then proceeds to read it out at a non-profit event. The law would offer you some redress through the payment of damages by the thief.

There is a possibility that JK would have allowed the use of the castle's image if her permission had been sought first.
Reply 11
bindymackenzie
i am a mere 10 year old .

Might want to change your profile from saying 'age: 16' then :wink:
yes, thats a fair point which i did make earlier, saying that they probably should have asked her permission first

lol, yeah, fine about the age thing too, it just sounded more extreme if you think about a 10 year old vs a law student in a copyright argument
Reply 13
Is it possible this is more Bloomsbury than JK?

After all, record companies sue people who illegally download music; the individual artists or bands don't. It's perfectly possible it's Bloomsbury that are leading the lawsuit, but that's not as good a story.

Not saying this is true, just a possibility.
Reply 14
tesh^^
Bad karma for her.
And therein may be the truth behind the fuss.
Tufts
I do not defend the morality of her actions, just the legality of them.

For example, say you spent years writing a dissertation. One day someone hacks into your computer and steals the dissertation without you knowing, then proceeds to read it out at a non-profit event. The law would offer you some redress through the payment of damages by the thief.

There is a possibility that JK would have allowed the use of the castle's image if her permission had been sought first.

Does it become slightly more complicated then when she only ever described the castle in the book and never provided an image? If anyone should be suing it should be the film studio, because the look of the castle was decided by them surely. Rowling only wrote about it, surely she can't say "that looks like my castle" because the point of a book is that you imagine your own? :p:
Reply 16
bindymackenzie

lol, yeah, fine about the age thing too, it just sounded more extreme if you think about a 10 year old vs a law student in a copyright argument

So which is the correct age: 10 or 16? :confused:
Reply 17
One thing's a bit odd though;
"What we are building is not a violation of copyright act anywhere in the world because it's a religious festival and has nothing to do with money-making,"
Hmmm...

When did religion become a justification for, well, anything?
Reply 18
Just because something is not-for-profit does not mean it is exempt from copyright law, right?
Tufts
So which is the correct age: 10 or 16? :confused:

its clearly 16, sorry i think i tend to exaggerate everything - you cant tell from typing

Latest

Trending

Trending