The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Thanks. I may go with ectopic.

I want the doctor to tell the girl that there are problems and that unless she has a caesaerian, she could die giving birth. Would ectopic fit with this?
Reply 3
city_chic
Thanks. I may go with ectopic.

I want the doctor to tell the girl that there are problems and that unless she has a caesaerian, she could die giving birth. Would ectopic fit with this?

No, ectopics usually (nearly always) present themselves very early in pregnancy and are either spotted on a scan or start bleeding, in which case it's an emergency and the girl has to be rushed to theatre. You don't get a baby afterwards.

If the doctor has to tell the girl she might die, then a breech/transverse lie, or a placenta previa leading to massive haemorrhage are more realistic.
Reply 4
Then go with Placental abruption, with an ectopic pregnancy i think it would be detected/do the damage too early for a caesarian. Can't have a baby growing in an oviduct for too long and not notice :smile:

Sorry bout spelling.

EDIT: Daymn you are fast Helenia :smile: (how'd i do for a Pre-med loser btw? :smile:)
Reply 5
Helenia
No, ectopics usually (nearly always) present themselves very early in pregnancy and are either spotted on a scan or start bleeding, in which case it's an emergency and the girl has to be rushed to theatre. You don't get a baby afterwards.

If the doctor has to tell the girl she might die, then a breech/transverse lie, or a placenta previa leading to massive haemorrhage are more realistic.

Hm, breech lie could work, thanks. What would be the chances in this case of the girl dying giving birth naturally?
Reply 6
Placental abruption, or placenta praevia
Reply 7
city_chic
Hm, breech lie could work, thanks. What would be the chances in this case of the girl dying giving birth naturally?

Minimal - almost nil. Ultrasound picks it up, and where it's thought a natural birth is not possible, an elective c-section is usually carried out.
Reply 8
Fluffy
Minimal - almost nil. Ultrasound picks it up, and where it's thought a natural birth is not possible, an elective c-section is usually carried out.

Well yes, but if she's refusing a c-section...
Reply 9
Personally, I'd run with pre-eclampsia. I believe c-section is considered best practice in all cases these days and ultimately delivery is the only treatment, although significant renal and liver damage could already be caused by the time the baby is through. Depends on whether you want damage to the baby or not, in which case placenta praevia would be the way forward.
PeeWeeDan, are you DanielIvitsan, i.e. have you changed your display name?
Reply 11
He is, guess being identifiable wasn't too good a deal.
Reply 12
AEH
Personally, I'd run with pre-eclampsia. I believe c-section is considered best practice in all cases these days and ultimately delivery is the only treatment, although significant renal and liver damage could already be caused by the time the baby is through. Depends on whether you want damage to the baby or not, in which case placenta praevia would be the way forward.

Then I'd scratch the pre... Eclampsia is tres rare (in the UK) nowerdays, but apparently still happens (rarely) - especially if the woman has opted out of antenatal care.

OP: The whole thing is quite dramatic - so should be good for a writen piece of prose. Do your research though...
do you remember when dr greene killed the woman with pre-eclampsia..... that was a sad day!!
Yeah DanielIvtsan is me. I decided PeeWeeDan was much more fun :smile:
Lol, okies.
Reply 16
Depends on who you want your character to be or the context of the story really. If you can make it plausible that they've opted out of antenatel care, than a full round of eclampsia would work nicely.
Reply 17
city_chic
Sorry for the random Q, I'm writing some fiction and need a plausible cause for a girl dying after giving birth? Perhaps something linked to a premature baby? Thanks.

Very random question. :s-smilie:

Eclampsia as suggested before is a possibility. Post partum haemorrhage and amniotic fluid embolism are others. They are all very rare (fortunately).

Depending on the storyline - perhaps she could develop severe post-natal depression and commit suicide.

Goodness knows why I am posting on topic related O&G - I hate O&G! :confused:
Reply 18
Post-partum haemorrhage is the most likely to leave one healthy pink baby and one purple mum, isn't it?
city_chic
Sorry for the random Q, I'm writing some fiction and need a plausible cause for a girl dying after giving birth? Perhaps something linked to a premature baby? Thanks.

Eclampsia has already been touted, always a good one. It can still occur upto a week after birth, so adds scope. THe aminiotic embolism part means healthy mother and child then vvv.quickly dead mother and healthy child.
Perforated/torn uterus - uber-rare but interesting one, can happen in late stages - esp if someone has dosed her up to the eyeballs in contraction strengthening drugs...

Just read what women have recently died of in your local midwife-led birthing centre for inspiration.

Latest