The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
perphaps offer to sit a past paper to prove your abilities?
Reply 21
I'm just going to say to her that I need a 3A prediction if I stand a chance of getting into medicine and if she doesn't give it to me, then I just won't bother applying and then she'll feel guilty etc.
34 person
I got told I would be predicted AAA which seemed fair enough to me seeing as i got ABBB in my AS's, and just abut evryone gets predicted at least 1 grade higher than their AS grade, but today on my reference I founjd out they've written down A A/B B. Obviously, I refused to sign the form because I said there was no point applying to medicine with those predicted grades, and my form tutor said she would see what she could do. I got th A/B to an A, but they won't budge that third B. Consdireing I'm doing a retake in that subject and they actually said to me that I've come on a long way this term, I find this predicted grade unreasonable. Plus, in this subject (german) they've been really negative about me in my refercne saying that I don't have a strong grasp of grammer because I spend more time on my scienes. I mean seriously do my teachers NOT want me to go to uni? And how should I get my German teacher to predict me an A, it's not an unrealistic ask. Sorry for ranting, I'm SO angry right now.

Do you want me to come over with some filler and smooth out that chip on your shoulder? Seriously, who gives a fork about predicted grades? They mean nothing, they're predictions, some people achieve theirs, some better them, and some people worsen them. Most institutions don't solely use them as a basis for selecting potential students, they are not foolproof(haven't you heard the hype in the media about state pupils being undergraded and private being overgraded?). They use past grades like AS' or GCSEs' alongside your ps, references, etc. Some courses (like medicine, dentistry, vet sci, etc) require more than just academic ability, as you may know. Many places for these courses are interviewed for to judge your ability, your potential and your skills with working with people and/or animals. Lets face it, there are people who aren't simply up to being doctors, dentists, vets, etc, but they were accepted on an academic basis. Everybody's application has positives and negatives and people are selected and/or interviewed across the spectrum. Getting predicted an A, A/B and B is hardly constraining. Veterinary science is a much more competitive course than medicine, yet i study alongside people who got 5 or 6 A's at alevel, and people who got ABC or ABB or BBB, they were predicted much the same, did it change their application? No. Plus i know scores of people who have been predicted 3 A's or more, got 3 A's, and still not got in. If the university really wants you, they will actually lower the grades you need to get for a successful conditional offer. I impressed royal vet college so much that they gave me the conditional offer of ABB while the majority of applicants were being offered AAA.

And what if your predicted grades mean that you don't get any offers? Well, it could mean that you are unsuitable material for medicine. Ask for feedback from your unis, they have to by law, if its something as menial as a slipped grade, retake. It could be for another reason like lack of work experience or personal skills required for the course. If you do slip your grades, or they don't accept your predicted grades go through clearing. I can assure you that there are places for medicine on clearing, me and my friends looked for bragging rights with the medics (see! vet science is harder and more competitive, you can't be a vet through clearing!). And if you still don't get in but you're destined to be a medic, keep at it, take a year out (like many people do) and get more work experience, retake any exams, do more voluntary work and reapply. It does work.

Are your teacher's retarded? No. Applying to university is a formal application, just like applying for a job. If you lie on the reference, or qualifications, and you get found out, the person who filled in the blanks can be up for discipline or legal proceedings. The grades are perfectly justifyable, its not like they haven't taught X thousand of people in their career, seen how they work and where they get, they do have a bit of experience on their side. And a retake is always a cause for concern. Unis will question why you are retaking a subject/unit, it unerves them, if you have to retake something relatively minor, what will you be like at uni? Failing and having to retake a year costs the uni money as well as costing you time, money and effort. They don't want to take on people who can't stand the course.

They want you to get into med school, it makes them look good. You have to understand where they're coming from and make compromises. Its one thing to rant and moan about your predicted grades, its another to go to your language teacher, headmaster, etc and politely outline your situation, your needs and compromise. Offer to go for after school lessons or do extra exam q's in your spare time in return for higher predicted grades so you live up to their expectations. Get your head down and start working, make them happy that they predicted you the correct grades, or work to prove them wrong, either way you'll get to where you want to be in the end.

Getting into med school or vet school is all about your motivation and the type of person you are, not the predicted grades that some random teacher writes on your form. If its what you really want you will get there. Life is what you make of it, you've got many options ahead of you, what you chose is your choice. Good luck.
Reply 23
Tbh you're talking out of your arse, predicted grades do form an important part of the application if you want to get to interview, unless of course you want your sole academic qualities to be when you were a immature brat not giving a toss about GCSEs? The teachers references are scripted - its like a game between the referee and the tutors - you say more about what you don't say then what you do...

I would propose the converse - that admissions tutors can tell my the unified quality of an application, the degree of articulation, and the background of the school in general - they can get a feel for whether the predictions are accurate or not....In addition they can also demand to see UMS scores if necessary.

Yes I agree grades are not sufficent, but lets face it, they are the first hurdle to interview, and since no place is given without interview, it follows that grades are one of many factors that could decisively fail you. Ergo, whilst not crucial I think the OP has a point.
Reply 24
Why do all my threads start in arguments?

And choco..., I don't agree with what much of what you said at all to be honest. I want a 3A prediction and think that I'm not really that far from it, so therefore my teachers are retarded.
Reply 25
34 person
Why do all my threads start in arguments?

And choco..., I don't agree with what much of what you said at all to be honest. I want a 3A prediction and think that I'm not really that far from it, so therefore my teachers are retarded.

A virtually perfect philosophical rebuttal.
Reply 26
Wangers
A virtually perfect philosophical rebuttal.

I could not be arsed to justify what I said, just that I'm right and she's wrong. Maybe I should consider a law degree...yes, I would go far in that.
i think your teachers are well within their rights to predict what they actually think you'll achieve rather than what you want them too. i'm kinda happy that they're standing their ground over it in a sense. i think that not applying because you're predicted AAB is ridiculous. how about you check out the discussion fluffy and i had higher up. i really don't think it'll affect your application too much, you're predicted the required grades as long as you're not applying for oxbridge/edinburgh/newcastle (i can't think of anymore AAA atm but i'm pretty sure i missed one). we do sometimes know what we're talking about.... honest!
Reply 28
To be honest, I won't be happy until I get an AAA prediction. The rest of my application is just average when it comes to academia so I at least need an AAA precition.
well you've lowered yourself in my estimation somewhat.
Reply 30
What, just because I want an AAA prediction? Well LOL at that then.
Reply 31
I think you can be forgiven for having a chip on your shoulder at this point, because I think everyone putting their application in does. Its all part of the process. And you can also be forgiven for being hacked off at the situation, because this is your future and it does all feel like your entire life is orbiting around this one point. But at the same time, you're sensible enough to know this isn't a sustainable situation and you're going to have to think and discuss your way out of it, not just have a hissy fit which you're bordering on now.

In short, form up.
no because you're making such a disproportionate fuss about something that's going to have such a marginal impact on your application. your teacher can predict whatever they think you're going to get. you can speak to them politely and explain the situation, other than that there's not a lot more that you can do. i just thought that you understood that there's more to life than your grades.
Reply 33
How do you know I'm senibsile enough to not have a hissy fit? This medical application is making me a bitter bitch to be honest.
Reply 34
bright star
no because you're making such a disproportionate fuss about something that's going to have such a marginal impact on your application. your teacher can predict whatever they think you're going to get. you can speak to them politely and explain the situation, other than that there's not a lot more that you can do. i just !thought that you understood that there's more to life than your grades.

Well considering I'm applying to medicine there's not really. And yes you have to be an amazing human being on the side too, but they're not going to find that out until interview and if I don't get an interview...

Plus my Dad went skitz when he found out, so added parental pressure is fun too!
but it's totally not about your grades. you have the requirements. i'm sure that it's not making it sink in anymore the more i say it, so i'm going to leave it now. chin up tho, it's really not the end of the world xx
Reply 36
Sorry but in my opinion your lucky to have a prediction of AAB
Why should teachers predict higher than you got in AS, seeming AS is easier than A2
Rather than putting the emphasis on the teachers as they should be feeling guilty for predicting you low, rather it should be on you if medicine mattered to you so much you should of put more effort into ur AS' and got better than ABBB then they would have no reason to predict you B's

Your certainly not badly off with them predicting you one out of two of your subjects higher than you got at AS.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but im gonna be honest rather than sucking up.
Reply 37
34 person
How do you know I'm senibsile enough to not have a hissy fit? This medical application is making me a bitter bitch to be honest.

If you want to come to medical school, you should be sensible enough.

To be honest, I can see why you're annoyed, but I can also see why your teachers have predicted you those grades. You have no evidence really that you're going to do better than at AS, and they don't want to lie and mislead the universities that you apply to. By all means see if you can persuade them to change it, but at the same time, if they genuinely don't think you're going to get an A, it would be wrong for them to put that.
Reply 38
Do any unis look at your AS's as part of the apllication process, with all this cashing in business?
i don't understand what you're asking. yes universities look at your AS results, policy on how they use them varies widely. some just use them as an indicator of how accurate predicted grades are. others place more significance on them. it all adds up to an overall picture of the applicant.

Latest

Trending

Trending