The Student Room Group

Post-A-level Application

I've just seen that post-A-level applicants need to 'have a good account to give of their year off between school and University'. I would imagine this is the same at both Oxford and Cambridge.
I'm probably stressing too much, but I don't know how seriously the unis take gapyears. I am currently trying to find a job and then am planning to go travelling for a few months. However, I certainly haven't planned any of it yet. Will this make me look bad?
Thanks,
Matthew

Scroll to see replies

It won't impress them, I'm afraid.
It really depends on the uni, some of them look favourably upon students who have worked or done some travelling, got some life experience and such.
But with the uni's you're talking about I assume they need you to have a plan.. know exactly what you are planning to do with your gap year.
Look in to where you might like to travel to, and see if you can link it to the course you are hoping to study. If not - try and find another explanation, such as the history of the place. It's probably not the best idea to say you went to Spain to spend your time working in a bar and getting drunk :p: that may put them off.
I think if you can give a genuine reason for your desire to take a year out - then you probably will be okay.
Reply 3
Definitely think of something a bit more concrete than "uh, I'm going to go to some places and do some stuff", but at the same time don't stress about trying to make it sound like you're jetsetting around, single-handedly saving the world's AIDS orphans, teaching English to the uneducated masses and solving the world's political problems one country at a time. Sure, they want to see that you've done something, or that you have some structure, but at the same time they're kinda expecting that most post A-level applicants will just be earning money or going off to see (and yes, get drunk in) a few places (obviously don't explicitly mention the getting drunk, though. That will fall flat.). They're just trying to make sure that you've been a bit proactive rather than just sitting on your ass for a year playing video games.
Reply 4
Thanks! I am planning to do 'proper' travelling...in far-off places :P I'm just not very organised about it yet!
I did go interrailing this summer as well so hopefully it won't look like I won't get round to organising something.
Reply 5
At what point will there be an opportunity to discuss this? would it be at interview?
You mean discuss what you have done with your year out?
Well interview is as good a time as any, and probably the most likely time when they will ask you about what you have been doing with your gap year.
But you could maybe mention it briefly in your personal statement, which would most likely prompt them to then ask you at interview.
I dedicated a quarter of mine to my Gap year.
Reply 8
too much?

I only gave it two lines, if they are really bothered they can ask me at interview, I'll have a nice answer prepared!
djjz13
too much?

I only gave it two lines, if they are really bothered they can ask me at interview, I'll have a nice answer prepared!

Depends what you've done with your time. If you've been travelling or working (or both :p: ) and its relevant to your course, then it might be worth while dedicating more than just 2 lines of your personal statement.
I was wondering would taking 2 Gap years be a really bad thing, as i have worked for 2 top city law institutions, but in a different sector each year.........

I just wanted to gain some experience in the field + do some travelling before i gave 3 years to a degree (History) and was wondering would they see this in a negative view??

Are there any bad things they may think/say about it (I.e. will it affect there decision??).......

both gap years were planned (and i have the grades as well as a good PS etc), I'm probably just being paranoid lol but thought i would just ask to cure my woes :smile: ...........
Matthew2007
I've just seen that post-A-level applicants need to 'have a good account to give of their year off between school and University'. I would imagine this is the same at both Oxford and Cambridge.
I'm probably stressing too much, but I don't know how seriously the unis take gapyears. I am currently trying to find a job and then am planning to go travelling for a few months. However, I certainly haven't planned any of it yet. Will this make me look bad?
Thanks,
Matthew

Er, well I worked for ten months of my gap year, went travelling for six weeks and messed about in the other two. I'm doing law at Oxford, so clearly from personal experience, colleges probably don't care that much :p:
Reply 12
ravenous_soup_dragon
Er, well I worked for ten months of my gap year, went travelling for six weeks and messed about in the other two. I'm doing law at Oxford, so clearly from personal experience, colleges probably don't care that much :p:

Good to know! Thanks :smile:
Reply 13
akademic
I was wondering would taking 2 Gap years be a really bad thing, as i have worked for 2 top city law institutions, but in a different sector each year.........

I just wanted to gain some experience in the field + do some travelling before i gave 3 years to a degree (History) and was wondering would they see this in a negative view??

Are there any bad things they may think/say about it (I.e. will it affect there decision??).......

both gap years were planned (and i have the grades as well as a good PS etc), I'm probably just being paranoid lol but thought i would just ask to cure my woes :smile: ...........

I don't think you'll have any trouble, this is just me guessing, but what you're doing sounds pretty good on any CV or UCAS application. Unis let mature students study, after all, and you may not be a mature student but two organised, productive gapyears can't be a bad thing. You might just have to show you've kept up something to do with History in the two years? Read books, attended lectures etc.
akademic

I think as long as you have been doing something constructive with your time then you should be okay. I assume from what you have been saying about your working life.. that you want to study law. If that is the case then I imagine they will be quite impressed with your dedication and prior knowledge.
The only thing I would say, since you want to do Law (with the conversion), don't you just wanna get started?! I mean the road to becoming a lawyer is certainly not a short one.
Reply 16
Aj_deity made a good point; you should strike a balance between overcompensating and not having much of a clue.

In my interview I suggested some things that I would be doing, how they related to my course, and the potential benefits of the year. In all honesty it didn't seem to make much of a difference, but if you can determine that your experience/gap-year will help you in your course, by all means go for it.
earthredalert89
The only thing I would say, since you want to do Law (with the conversion), don't you just wanna get started?! I mean the road to becoming a lawyer is certainly not a short one.

yea your telling me mate lol :tongue:.........

law is indeed a long journey, it's just that i've had a passion for the subject (genuinely, not just saying it lol) since i was in high school, so doing a degree in it would probably make me the most happiest, i have asked law firms etc and they said that it is fine as nearly half of lawyers take the law conversion course......
akademic

Hmm..well, I can't speak for all of the colleges, but mine (St. Anne's) specifically says on its website that it generally does not consider anyone who has taken two gap years, because the gap between school and university is too big. Still worth a try - and nothing a call to the colleges individually won't fix.
^^^ mate could you provide a link by any chance as i would like to read up on this as it would help me a great deal :smile:...........

i did do other exams during my gap years (inc. those related to Law) if that helps :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending