The Student Room Group

English Language A2 OCR

The exam is coming up soon and OCR haven't really given a lot of resources due to the new specification. It also seems that not a lot of people take English Language A2 as a subject. So I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to get a high grade (B and above, after scraping a B last year). An exemplar essay or essay structure would be great because honestly I'm so stuck with the structuring ://
Thanks x :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I am doing A2 English on the OCR exam board and the exam questions that I have handed in over the past few months have been B's and A's. I can photocopy some of my example essays if you'd like, what topic are you struggling with the most? I also have resources on Language Change theorists and Child Language Theorists. Language is my favourite subject so I have plenty of stuff for it - can you specify what you're looking for?

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by AGALL
Hi, I am doing A2 English on the OCR exam board and the exam questions that I have handed in over the past few months have been B's and A's. I can photocopy some of my example essays if you'd like, what topic are you struggling with the most? I also have resources on Language Change theorists and Child Language Theorists. Language is my favourite subject so I have plenty of stuff for it - can you specify what you're looking for?

Thanks so much for taking time to reply. Also I think it would be extremley helpful if I could look at an essay of yours.

Anyway, I'm alright with all the content and terminology it's just applying it and structuring it so that it all makes sense. Also, my teacher says I'm quite vague when explaining how the concepts link to the purpose. I also think I struggle with the first and third section on paper 1, due to having to having to write so much in half an hour for both lexis and grammar. And then they you're meant to structure and apply concepts in section 3).

Then language change is alright but I also find it difficult to structure and explain the purpose of why they've been used I.e. The impact of the long s, or how amelioration would link to concept. With, child acquisition I have no clue how to structure tbh as do all of my class, due to our teacher constantly focusing on her English Lit students so I'm quite baffled about the structuring.

Overall, I would say it's the structure and how to apply the concepts but any help would be useful. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Olivia_Origin
Thanks so much for taking time to reply. Also I think it would be extremley helpful if I could look at an essay of yours.

Anyway, I'm alright with all the content and terminology it's just applying it and structuring it so that it all makes sense. Also, my teacher says I'm quite vague when explaining how the concepts link to the purpose. I also think I struggle with the first and third section on paper 1, due to having to having to write so much in half an hour for both lexis and grammar. And then they you're meant to structure and apply concepts in section 3).

Then language change is alright but I also find it difficult to structure and explain the purpose of why they've been used I.e. The impact of the long s, or how amelioration would link to concept. With, child acquisition I have no clue how to structure tbh as do all of my class, due to our teacher constantly focusing on her English Lit students so I'm quite baffled about the structuring.

Overall, I would say it's the structure and how to apply the concepts but any help would be useful. :smile:

Okay, so what I can do is basically help you section by section. For example, I'll discuss the structuring of Language Under The Microscope first (which is Q1 of P1), and once you kind of get the jist of that, we could move onto looking at the next section that you want help with.

I'm more than happy to do all of this with you because, at the end of the day, I'm re-jogging my memory and revising from it too.

How does that seem to you?
Original post by AGALL
Okay, so what I can do is basically help you section by section. For example, I'll discuss the structuring of Language Under The Microscope first (which is Q1 of P1), and once you kind of get the jist of that, we could move onto looking at the next section that you want help with.

I'm more than happy to do all of this with you because, at the end of the day, I'm re-jogging my memory and revising from it too.

How does that seem to you?

Yeah that's a great idea. That would be really helpful, thank you!
Reply 5
Yeah that's a great idea. That would be really helpful, thank you!

I don't have any model answers for LUTM (Language Under The Microscope) but what we're taught is the acronym GRAMPS: Genre Register Audience Mode Purpose and Subject matter.

I'm not sure if you already use this but basically it's applied to everything across the whole exam and the most important ones are Genre, Audience and Purpose.

So, say you get an advert as the text, you analyse it looking for linguistic features and how the genre, audience, and purpose impact them:
e.g. 1st person pronouns are used because this creates a closer relationship with the audience which is because of the purpose to persuade.
OR low register because it has an audience of children.

Is that making sense?

In regards to writing this stuff down in an essay... try this:

This text uses..... (AO1: linguistic feature) such as.....[quotes] which helps/does.... This is created because of the genre/audience/purpose of...

How does that look? (btw, don't be scared to just say if it doesn't make sense or anything :h:)
Original post by AGALL
I don't have any model answers for LUTM (Language Under The Microscope) but what we're taught is the acronym GRAMPS: Genre Register Audience Mode Purpose and Subject matter.

I'm not sure if you already use this but basically it's applied to everything across the whole exam and the most important ones are Genre, Audience and Purpose.

So, say you get an advert as the text, you analyse it looking for linguistic features and how the genre, audience, and purpose impact them:
e.g. 1st person pronouns are used because this creates a closer relationship with the audience which is because of the purpose to persuade.
OR low register because it has an audience of children.

Is that making sense?

In regards to writing this stuff down in an essay... try this:

This text uses..... (AO1: linguistic feature) such as.....[quotes] which helps/does.... This is created because of the genre/audience/purpose of...

How does that look? (btw, don't be scared to just say if it doesn't make sense or anything :h:)

It makes perfect sense lol. I'm used to the GAP method too, though I've never heard of GRAMPS. But this makes sense. My worry is, I don't know whether my paragraph will be long enough; although it is quality over quantity.
Also, do you think it would be wise to write a short introduction? I usually do and link it to my first point but it does take up some time.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
It makes perfect sense lol. I'm used to the GAP method too, though I've never heard of GRAMPS. But this makes sense. My worry is, I don't know whether my paragraph will be long enough; although it is quality over quantity.
Also, do you think it would be wise to write a short introduction? I usually do and link it to my first point but it does take up some time.

Yeah I totally get what you mean. You have to remember that this question is your chance to show off all of your linguistic knowledge and shine. It needs to be packed full of AO1.

You could even take the approach of 'The genre is... this is evident through AO1, AO1, AO1, AO1'!! :biggrin:

BUT! If the exam question says: focusing on lexis and semantics/pragmatics/semantics/grammar then you're obviously best off starting with 'In regards to semantics...', 'Considering grammar,...', ect. Then you'll flip around what I previously showed you. So, show off all your linguistic features that fit into that linguistic sections then say how it's impacted by the G/A/P

In terms of an intro, I'm taught to do a brief round up: What is this text? Who wrote it (if provided)? What's the genre? Who's the audience? What's the purpose?

As you said before, this is only a short section with the least marks. You wanna look at doing about a 3 pages (all depending on your handwriting size) for it, which could be 3 decent sized paragraphs.

This looking any better?
Original post by AGALL
Yeah I totally get what you mean. You have to remember that this question is your chance to show off all of your linguistic knowledge and shine. It needs to be packed full of AO1.

You could even take the approach of 'The genre is... this is evident through AO1, AO1, AO1, AO1'!! :biggrin:

BUT! If the exam question says: focusing on lexis and semantics/pragmatics/semantics/grammar then you're obviously best off starting with 'In regards to semantics...', 'Considering grammar,...', ect. Then you'll flip around what I previously showed you. So, show off all your linguistic features that fit into that linguistic sections then say how it's impacted by the G/A/P

In terms of an intro, I'm taught to do a brief round up: What is this text? Who wrote it (if provided)? What's the genre? Who's the audience? What's the purpose?

As you said before, this is only a short section with the least marks. You wanna look at doing about a 3 pages (all depending on your handwriting size) for it, which could be 3 decent sized paragraphs.

This looking any better?

Yeah it does! The way you've explained it has made it easier to understand. I just need to work on my time management more and also continue my writing, because I tend to start over when I don't like something I've written, which in itself is a bad habit. Also I need to be more "tentative" and "less vague", as my teacher would say but then again that's with all the sections LOL.
But again, the way you've explained it makes total sense.
Reply 9
Yeah it does! The way you've explained it has made it easier to understand. I just need to work on my time management more and also continue my writing, because I tend to start over when I don't like something I've written, which in itself is a bad habit. Also I need to be more "tentative" and "less vague", as my teacher would say but then again that's with all the sections LOL.
But again, the way you've explained it makes total sense.

The old chestnut is true: 'practise makes perfect'. I have written multiple essay for each section on this exam - just not the first section because our teacher reckons it's just second nature to us, which is actually a pain especially for this case. (Come to think of it, I might actually give one a go, get it marked, and photocopy it for you)

It terms of re-writing - I know the feeling... I used to do that, in fact I'm a student with concessions because of exam panic that I experienced at GCSE, and I know that when you just don't love what you're writing you don't even want to put your name on the front of the answer booklet. A way to get over this is to write simplistically and don't try and over complicate things - that's what I use to do and I eventually learned to break the habit. For example, in my CLA essays my intro is literally just 'this is a transcript between [child] and [other], they are taking part in [task] at [place]. [Child] is [age] which means they are expected to be in the [stage of development]. The task they are doing is typically [something related to development e.g. educational, creative, memory, reading, ect.]..... and so on.

What I'm trying to say is that, you need to get yourself a default style. Don't go into this exam on a clean slate ready to start your next novel. Have it in your head like: 'This text is a [a] with the genre of
Reply 11
Hm, I see what you mean, because I do tend to make my work overly complicated to seem more sophisticated, maybe not the best way but idk (I feel like I'm trying to replicate my teacher's writing style). But yeah, I do need to practise more, especially during this half term, and I'll be definitely using that framework! I'll probably do a practise now and send it over to you, and see what you think of it, if that's okay with you? :smile:

No problem at all :biggrin:
So nice to see a chat for English Language.

I really struggle on Language as it turns out my context is always dragging my grade down.

I use GAP but my teacher always says it's not detailed or specific enough and is too generic. Any tips?
Reply 13
Original post by hoticedtea
So nice to see a chat for English Language.

I really struggle on Language as it turns out my context is always dragging my grade down.

I use GAP but my teacher always says it's not detailed or specific enough and is too generic. Any tips?

We use GRAMPS in our lessons. Genre, Register, Audience, Mode, Purpose and Subject matter :smile:
Reply 14
Hm, I see what you mean, because I do tend to make my work overly complicated to seem more sophisticated, maybe not the best way but idk (I feel like I'm trying to replicate my teacher's writing style). But yeah, I do need to practise more, especially during this half term, and I'll be definitely using that framework! I'll probably do a practise now and send it over to you, and see what you think of it, if that's okay with you? :smile:

I made this resource: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/revision-cards/english-language-ocr-language-under-the#1 :yy:

Thank you so much, I'm gonna use this right now!
Reply 16
Thank you so much, I'm gonna use this right now!

I'm going to be making these 'structure' revision cards for each section. I've done Language Under The Microscope and Topical Issues so far.

Here's the Topical Issues one too in case you wanna see it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/revision-cards/english-language-ocr-topical-issues-structure :h:

Let me know what you think and feel free to rate them looool :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Anyone got any example essays for Language Under the Microscope and Language in the Media? Don't really see the difference between the two, feel as though they're the same.
Reply 18
Original post by najibahk
Anyone got any example essays for Language Under the Microscope and Language in the Media? Don't really see the difference between the two, feel as though they're the same.

Language Under the Microscope is quick, easy, basic analysis of a text - showing off your AO1.

Language in the Media is a lot more niche and related to the writer and the ideologies that are being conveyed. I don't have a Language Under the Microscope example essay for you but I do have an example for Language in the Media that was literally marked a few days a go. My teacher graded this an A/A*.

I've had to separate the file into the annotated data and the essay.

Reply 19
They are pretty much the same but the language under the microscope usually asks for two specific frameworks, in the mock i got asked to analyze the grammar and lexis in a text. The media essay has to be more detailed involving theorists so you hit all the AO levels it requires! But the revision can more or less be the same!

Original post by najibahk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending