The Student Room Group

Chem AS/A2 advise

Hi everyone
The other day I received my AS results and it is not what I had expected.

I got
A- ICT
A Economics
C Biology (Boarder line C)
E-Chemistry

I was disappointment in Biology and especially Chemistry.

Initially, I wanted to drop ICT and study Economics, Biology, and Chemistry as A2’s.
However, with the grades CE in Biology, and Chemistry would it be advisable to pursue Chemistry, Biology as A2’s?
In addition, is it achievable to develop an E grade (AS) to an A grade (A2) in Chemistry (what are the chances)? Alternatively, would it hinder my other A2’s?

What do you think I should do?

Thanks for reading
Lais
Lias
Hi everyone
The other day I received my AS results and it is not what I had expected.

I got
A- ICT
A Economics
C Biology (Boarder line C)
E-Chemistry

I was disappointment in Biology and especially Chemistry.

Initially, I wanted to drop ICT and study Economics, Biology, and Chemistry as A2’s.
However, with the grades CE in Biology, and Chemistry would it be advisable to pursue Chemistry, Biology as A2’s?
In addition, is it achievable to develop an E grade (AS) to an A grade (A2) in Chemistry (what are the chances)? Alternatively, would it hinder my other A2’s?

What do you think I should do?

Thanks for reading
Lais

I would say, given the grades you've acheived, it might be best to pursue ICT and Economics (+Bio), and try to apply for a University course which includes these disciplines. The chances of going from an E at AS Chemistry to an A at A2 are quite slim (if you'll forgive me for saying so); given that A2 content in chemistry is a lot harder than AS.

It also seems that you have a greater facility for ICT/Econ than for the sciences. Youb have a better chance of ending up with an A in Bio at the end of your A2 course than you do for Chem. So my advice is to drop chem.
Reply 2
I am disappointed with my grade C in AS physics but I am still going to continue into A2 with it but as soon as I get back to college in september I am going to cancel my physics grade and resit some of the modules during the year so I can improve my overall AS physics grade and have a better chance at getting a good grade in A2 with it.
Reply 3
It may depend to some extent on your module marks as well. At AS Chem after a year I'd only achieved a C (BBD if I remember). I decided to push onto A2 in any case however by the time I reached the January exams I'd discovered A2 Chem is a LOT harder than AS Chem. In any case, since I'd furthered my chemistry knowledge I resat 2 of the AS modules and gained an A in AS Chem.

If you're certain you can push out a lot more at A2 level in Chemistry then by all means take a shot (or even take my route, if not by January, drop at A2, and retake other modules to boost your AS).
Reply 4
DONT DO CHEMISTRY!! ITS TOO HARD!
Best advice iv ever given!
kriztinae

lol awww!
Reply 6
I'm not too sure bout this one!
I got a C at AS Chem (a very low one) with my modules something like DCC.
However I continued and resat the AS's ones boosting them all up to A's. Looking back on the AS after doing A2, AS seems easier. Although I got BCC for my A2 modules my improvement in the AS gave me an overall grade B.

So anythings possible! Good luck!
Reply 7
I totally failed Chemistry AS examination; I am extremely astounded with my unit results.

AS Chemistry Edexcel

Unit 1 81/90 A
Unit 2 - 25/90 U
Unit 3 35 /120 U

My Unit 2 and Unit 3 are remarkably embarrassing. I felt confident when I left the Chemistry AS Examination that the minimum grade for each Unit would be a C. However, I got an AUU, shameful.

AS Biology Edexcel

Unit 1- 63/100 C
Unit 2 56/100 D
Unit 3- 66/100 C

I am considering 2 retake the entire Unit’s 1,2,3 once more. With any luck, I might improve my grades overall to achieve a good A2 grade.
Therefore, a grade C (AS) to an grade A (A2) can be reached right?
(The reason for this question is that some subjects might have thier limitations).

Lais
kriztinae

Chemistry is a great subject! It's not that hard at all....just logical (especially the organic). I'll admit it's not easy, but definitely no harder than, say, Biology or Physics.
Reply 9
I think continuing chemistry would not be wise, unless you are desperately wanting to, or feel a remark may improve your grade. The course will become harder in the coming year, and you should always be aware of that. I would advise you to follow your talents in IT and Economics perhaps...

Then again, at the end of the day, its your call..
Reply 10
I have made a radical decision in the A2 courses to continue; they will be Biology, Economics, and ICT. I personally believe, to facilitate an A grade in Biology A2 should be more attainable than compared with Chemistry A2.
Prior the AS examinations results, I intended to study a Science degree, for instance, Physiology, Biochemistry. However, seeing that Chemistry is a fundamental to various Science courses (seen in different University prospectuses); it has narrowed my scope considerably.
I am now hoping to study an Accounting and Finance degree. In addition, pursue to become an Accountant.

Appreciation for everybody’s advice.

Lias
Reply 11
I am in a slightly similar situation because I want to study chemistry at uni yet it was my only B with other AS's being A's. This was because I mucked up the module 3. Do u think some unis would reject me straightaway coz I got a lower in chem? I was thinking of applying to imperial as 1st choice and warwick, bristol, UCL, Manchester and 2 others not sure yet . What do u think?
Lias
I have made a radical decision in the A2 courses to continue; they will be Biology, Economics, and ICT. I personally believe, to facilitate an A grade in Biology A2 should be more attainable than compared with Chemistry A2.
Prior the AS examinations results, I intended to study a Science degree, for instance, Physiology, Biochemistry. However, seeing that Chemistry is a fundamental to various Science courses (seen in different University prospectuses); it has narrowed my scope considerably.
I am now hoping to study an Accounting and Finance degree. In addition, pursue to become an Accountant.

Appreciation for everybody’s advice.

Lias

Well, you can still pursue a science degree. However, without decent grades you will be unlikely to find yourself at a respectable university.

If you want to be an accountant, then by all means do a science degree. Science graduates - particularly physicists and chemists - consistently come top of the pile in professional accountancy qualifications and jobs. Ironically, it is the accountancy and finance graduates that do very poorly. A science degree will open more doors and obviously it will make you happier.

Latest

Trending

Trending