The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sunspoon
It might actually be because of the entrance requirements that there arent so many applicants

I doubt that...making the transition to a university across a significant stretch of water is one quite a lot of students will choose not to do. Sure, it contributes, but that's pretty much what I said originally. I'm no epidemiologist but I reckon the main factor is the location.
well, traditionally oxbridge has one of the lowest applicant:redface:ffer ratios....
oh, i just looked at that, not sure quite how i managed to do that.... i obv meant applicant to offer ratios....
Reply 23
Thanks for replying people. I didnt no that Bristol was so competitive 12+ applicants per place?! wo! Btw anyone who applied to Keele, how hard is it to get into??
I know application stats mean **** all as they change every year but I thought I might as well post a couple of unis number of applications:

Glasgow

'06 entry - 1990 applications
'07 entry - 1697 applications

Percentage change - -15%

Peninsula

'06 entry - 1917 applications
'07 entry - 2072 applications

Percentage change - +8%

Dundee

'06 entry - 1533 applications
'07 entry - 1265 applications

Percentage change - -17%

Cardiff

'06 entry - 2700 applications
'07 entry - 2400 applications

Percentage change - -11%

Hull York

'06 entry - 1312 applications
'07 entry - 1051 applications

Percentage change - -20%

Newcastle & Durham

'06 entry - 2976 applications
'07 entry - 2050 applications

Percentage change - -31%

Barts and the London

'06 entry - 2760 applications
'07 entry - 2334 applications

Percentage change - -15%

Manchester

'06 entry - 2983 applications
'07 entry - 2931 applications

Percentage change - -2%

St Andrews

'06 entry - 1093 applications
'07 entry - 1062 applications

Percentage change - -3%

BSMS

'06 entry - 2600 applications
'07 entry - 2400 applications

Percentage change - -7%

Leeds

'06 entry - 2882 applications
'07 entry - 3000 applications

Percentage change - +4%

Sheffield

'06 entry - 2916 applications
'07 entry - 2629 applications

Percentage change - -10%

Bristol

'06 entry - 2321 applications
'07 entry - 3153 applications

Percentage change - +35%

Birmingham

'06 entry - 2482 applications
'07 entry - 2590 applications

Percentage change - +4%

Liverpool

'06 entry - 1950 applications
'07 entry - 2484 applications

Percentage change - +27%

Belfast

'06 entry - 760 applications
'07 entry - 914 applications

Percentage change - +20%

UCL

'06 entry - 2215 applications
'07 entry - 2311 applications

Percentage change - +4%
Reply 25
There are some stats on this website:

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

Can't vouch for how accurate they are though.
Reply 26
Well if you do get in stats mean **** all, and if you don't then they also mean **** all. What a waste of time.
Lil groovie dude - ahhhhhh Dundee was low last year so it's prob gonna be high number of applicants this year dammit! :frown:
dundee is pretty small tho, so maybe a low number of applicants still gives a higher applicant:redface:ffer ratio

i dunno tho. i can't really be bothered to look.

EDIT: aaaaaaaargh whoever writes smileys obviously doesn't think that wanting to write applicant to offer ratio is allowed...... it did this before, i forgot how annoying it is!! can i make it stop?
Reply 29
BlueRoses
Lil groovie dude - ahhhhhh Dundee was low last year so it's prob gonna be high number of applicants this year dammit! :frown:

Exactly what I was thinking, although I'm applying for pre-med year!
I suppose everyone thinks Dundee will be easier cos of the AAABB thing, but I guess not! I was up there a few days ago and I really loved it too! :frown:
Reply 31
apply to cambridge it has the lowest applicant/offer ratio...
Vazzyb
apply to cambridge it has the lowest applicant/offer ratio...

Yeah, it's strange to think that if you want the lowest applicant/offer ratio you're best applying to cambridge, queens, oxford and lancaster...which are 4 places I'd be proud to say I was a student there!! :biggrin:
Reply 33
Does anyone know the total stats, like;

Total applicants entering one or more uni's : Total University places nationwide
Reply 34
For medicine? Its about 20000 applicants for 7000 places. Probably the only decent thing I learnt from Medlink. And I'm not even sure if it's true or not.
I think there was a 10% decrease nationally in the number of students applying to medicine (down from 20k to 18k) last year, hence thats why there was a decrease in number of applications to each uni...its just interesting though that bristol had a MASSIVE 35% increase (i presume they didn't want ukcat or bmat for entry?)
I'm pretty sure it isn't as high as 20,000 :s-smilie:

More like 15,000-16,000

EDIT: I stand corrected :p:
Reply 37
im pretty sure it is lol
the official figure from ucas with internationals included (i remember checking this) was 25000. from medsim any many other places, people its say it is around 21000 for 7000 places, 1 in 3.
Ohh fair enough, dunno where from but I just remember reading the figure 15,000 :s-smilie:

Ah well.

Latest

Trending

Trending