The Student Room Group

Take 3 AS-Levels?

I'm not coping great from the transition from GCSE to A Level. To the point in which I stopped eating for a bit and couldn't sleep.
My AS Choices are:
Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Classics

I want to work with animals (heh dog trainer but I figured I'd keep my options open)

Bio and Psycho are musts therefore. Chem I was told would help. Classics is fun!

My teachers have suggested dropping one AS, and seeing as Chem is impossible! that would be my likely choice!

Psycho I can't do very well, I've had about 3 repeats on homeworks so far although other people have had similar, I'm just not answering the questions right. *stupid*

Bio is different, it's harder, I'm terrified of the practicals I'll have to do.

Chem is well..Chem. It's hard although I understand everything which annoys me as it means I sort of want to keep it.

I'm not sure if I want to drop Chem or not. I pestered my teacher and managed to get afterschool help but that seems to have stopped. I understood it all when he went through it but seem incapable to do it myself!

Classics is fun, it interests me and I enjoy it.

Bio- okay, want to take it, sort of enjoying
Psycho- hard, want to take it, enjoying
Classics- easier, want to take it, enjoying
Chem- hard, don't know if I want to take it, sort of enjoying.

Our school recommends to take 4. However they will make an exception for me. My GCSE grades were fine, good for me. (3 A's, 5 B's, 1 C)
May not seem great to you, but I was on the verge of getting three U's as I just was not doing coursework well.

I could take a National Diploma in Animal Management which would lead onto the Degree at my local uni for animal behaviour, I'm going to see for next year but for now I'm probably going to carry on with these AS's.

I just don't know what to do..at all.

Scroll to see replies

You should take four. In this day-and-age, where the competition is crazy (i.e. for veterinary science) you're not going to do yourself any favours if you did 1/4 less work during your AS phase. Some universities (such as Warwick) also include your AS grade in your offer.
Reply 2
all kinds of work with animals it quite competitive as lots of people want to jst work with cute animals, so haveing 4 AS levels would give you a big advantage because they will know that you are clever enough to have a good job instead of just cleaning out kennels or something.
Reply 3
I don't want to be a vet though...

And there are no qualifications required to be a dog trainer. Not that I would set up a business now, I will get qualifications but I have no idea what to do...
Reply 4
I'd say it's best to take four, but if you're really struggling maybe you should drop one. Do you want to go to university?
Reply 5
If you are struggling with four then it is better to do good in 3 AS's then ok in 4. Do you know what you've got to get in order to get onto the animal management diploma?
To be safe, I really would take four. It is kind of expected of you in AS year. If you're not sure what you want to do, take four to maximise your opportunities.

Also, can I point out that Chemistry is a very strong A-level and kind of important if you want to do a future degree relating to animals.
I wouldn't recommed dropping one, you may regret it at a later date.

I dropped Physics for ICT (=o I know, I know) and I definitely regret it. You'll get more satisfaction for completing the subject even if you drop it after AS.
You should keep it, just imagine what the feeling will be like when you pass it?
I originally had 4 AS's, but dropped one near to Christmas because I just had too much work. I don't regret it though, as it gave me extra time to spend on the subjects I need rather than want. However I have picked up an AS this year because of points needed for uni. Upto you at the end of the day, do what's going to make you happy - not everyone else.
havng 4 will keep your options open incase you decide you want to go to university and do an animal related degree instead of diploma
Reply 11
Try and carry on until at least the Janauary exams and see how you do?
Reply 12
its up to you at the end of the day but i dropped a subject and im glad!
i dropped biology.
im doing chemistry now and at A2 there are a LOT of assessed practicals and if youre anything like me and dont really enjoy them, you might find it a pain in the arse. im finding it very difficult now and a lot of work, lots of maths at A2 especially. it gets much worse.
BUT its a pretty respectable a level!
and it took me a long time to get into it, i started off getting D's and E's but in the exam in january i ended up with an A because i just played it to the mark scheme! as long as you know where the marks are awarded and kind of understand stuff im sure youll be ok :smile:
I know people who did 3 AS levels (plus General Studies), so it's not unheard of. But it's also not advisable. Also, since when is Psychology necessary when working with animals?? :s-smilie:
Reply 14
I do want to go to uni although the one I'm looking at is local, will accept 3 as levels and does what I want to do.

(Only 3 unis do the degree that I want to get onto)

I could literally go onto the animal management course now, I've got the grades required and the work experience but I've dedicated myself to these as levels now, might take it up next year?

Chem is thought of as needed for animal jobs, but the degree I want doesn't need it at all, it only requires biology.

"You should keep it, just imagine what the feeling will be like when you pass it?"

LOL. But I probably won't pass it. I'll probably get a D or something.

"incase you decide you want to go to university and do an animal related degree instead of diploma"

The diploma leads onto the degree I want.

"Try and carry on until at least the Janauary exams and see how you do?"

I've got to decide by next week, my teachers have given me a deadline.

"there are a LOT of assessed practicals"

Practicals terrify me, and I'm doing subjects with two lots of practicals. I'm getting used to practicing them now, but I'm dreading the 'real thing'.

Psychology works with mind and behaviour, seeing as I want to study animal behaviour it does link in. More than chemistry, or so my 'hopeful' degree course says...
just out of interest what is the name of the degree you want to go onto?
Reply 16
Animal Behaviour and Welfare/
Animal Behaviour.

Preferably the first one.
Pawsies
Psychology works with mind and behaviour, seeing as I want to study animal behaviour it does link in. More than chemistry, or so my 'hopeful' degree course says...

What on Earth have you done in Psychology that relates to working with animals?
i agree that it does link in.
cos ive got some animal behaiour books and some of it does seem like basic psychology. Theya re only really basic books btw
Reply 19
Animal Learning

All about how animals learn. It's very interesting actually. It does link in with animal behaviour.

Latest