The Student Room Group

Taking just two subjects at A-level

im starting to think about my A-levels at the moment, im in year 11. im doing A-level maths now. im doing C4 now. i should have completed further maths by january 09. when im in year 12. i want to apply to cambridge for maths. i want to o n years 12 and 13, chemistry and physics. my question is will doing just 2 subjects at A-level disadvantage me in my application to cambridge by making me look lazy? i would like to further my mathematical education throughout sixth fom by looking at more maths i enjoy such as analysis and BMO and use as litle time on subjects i dont like. the other subject i will take if i do is biology. i could also take aditional further maths which i may do anyway.

thanks
Reply 1
Woah, child prodigy here! I think there isn't any harm in taking one more?
Reply 2
you could do something liek statistics.
Or additional further maths whatever that is
Reply 3

I'm doing that at the moment. What I'm doing though is taking the full a-levels (chem and phys) in the one year, though you certainly won't look lazy having taken a-levels early. i'm also going to be taking an OU course, as universities won't like it if you don't do any maths for a year. I wouldn't bother taking add. maths unless you actually have an interest in the modules, the OU would be a better option as its at a higher level, they'll even allow you to take 3rd year courses if they think you'll be able to without having taken lower courses
Reply 4
pick up something like history? just to balance it out a bit? you have a lot of mathsy stuff going on there.
Forget all that extra breadth stuff if you are a mathematician. Take additional further maths (an extra six modules), STEP papers or AEA instead if you want to go to Cambridge for maths.
i have to say do something different. dunno if cambridge will appreciate it but im doing maths, further mats, economics and physics, and spanish really balances everything out. maybe a language, or history, or politics. consider it...
Maybe take economics - it's related but it's also more essay-ish, so it'll balance a bit. Best of both worlds :smile:

Latest