The Student Room Group

Yo

I recently started my AS-levels, and I took Maths, FM, Physics, History and English Lit.

I want to do Maths, Physics or Computer Science at University, and I'm not enjoying English Lit at all. The lessons aren't interesting, and I'm doing very badly essay-wise. However, my head of year told me that a Maths-English combo looks very good. The problem with that is, I'd only be doing English for the sake of looking good, rather than enjoying the subject or getting a good grade. My rentals tell me I should stay on with English because it looks good, but there it is again!

I really really really want to drop it, but at the cost of having maths-focussed A-levels. Thing is, I only want to do something maths-based at uni anyway!

What should I do?
Reply 1
Isn't it a little early in the year to give it up? With English Lit at AS-level, in my mock I got a D - was utterly devasted, but through pestering my English Teachers and asking where I went wrong, I managed to get a pretty good A...
Reply 2
Mikimoto: I think it's more of a case of him not enjoying it than not doing well... correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, I think you should keep at it if you can manage. But if you are really at the end of your patience and would rather be anywhere else than in the lessons, drop it! You have History, so you're not totally maths based and you can always pick up another AS in your second year if necessary.
You have 5 AS levels, and so you definately have room to drop one if necessary. And seeing as you have History, English Lit, although a great subject respectability-wise, is not really necessary. You have Maths, Further Maths and Physics which is really all you need, and History for some variety. Seeing as you want to do maths, those A-Levels won't look bad at all.

I say that if you do a module in January, do that and see how you do, and then carry on for the rest of the year if it's good, and you want to, but if it's brought down your other grades, of if it's a bad grade in itself, drop it then if possible. if you don't do January modules, then I see carry on till Christmas and see how you feel then-it might pick up. If you're really not happy by Christmas, then drop it then-talk to the examination officer about it.
Urm...ok. There's definite dropping-potential there. But I'd advise you against being so hasty. The English-maths combo makes you look like a well-rounded person, so, as your teacher said, it is a good thing to have.
Perhaps stick it out for a few more weeks and see how it goes. As a 'maths' student it will take you a little while to get into essay mode. But when you do, you may even find you enjoy it. If you really hate it after, say, 3/4 weeks, think about dropping.
Hey. :smile:

I also did maths, FM, English Lit and Physics (as well as Economics, CT and Chinese) at AS.

English lit was the hardest, but that was only because I didn't work during the year. if you put the hours in, I think you will reap rewards. And like the above poster said, having English and Maths will make you look like a well-rounded student.

I'd continue all five, but when push comes to shove and you're still finding English difficult, just invest less time into it and ensure you get your grades for your other four.

Good luck. :smile:
The OP appears to be another victim of the push to do more A levels (with greater breadth) at the risk of not achieving that all-important AAAa. I'd advise you to drop a fifth subject you do not enjoy.

The most useful general purpose science combination is double maths, physics and chemistry. Not many top universities are looking to see arts subjects in the mix for scientists, engineers and mathematicians. Lots of schools are giving duff advice on this.
Reply 7
Well I'd like to do Maths and Philosophy at uni (preferably at Warwick, Bristol, or if my maths teacher's head explodes Oxford), so I think that Maths, FM, Physics and History should be okay. My only qualm is that my parents seem like they will be really disappointed if I drop English Lit... :frown:
Reply 8
If you take a subject you hate, you will most likely do badly in it, for example i took History cause i was good at it but hate it and then did badly, however now i am ridiculously obsessed with doing well in it, which isnt a good thing either!!

Latest