The Student Room Group
I'd get rid of German but thats because I'm a dedicated monolinguist

'Further Maths' will require the same number of lessons as 'Maths'.
Reply 2
so mathematics and further maths are 2 separate a levels?
Not by some universities but usually by 6th forms, yes.
Reply 4
aw **** - guess ill have to sacrifice german
Reply 5
from what i hear, but havnt experienced is that taking further maths at A level makes the uni maths module for engineering much easier.
If you want to study engineering then double maths, physics and chemistry is pretty well perfect. It leaves every discipline open to you and gives you a step up for the course because you'll have maths well and truly nailed. Drop German. All the top universities will love you if you get AAAA in those four.
Reply 7
yh thts wat im plannin to do - but im scared tht not many ppl might not pik further cos we hav a **** teacher - so it might get cancelled
will i get rejected without further maths?
cos only 1 other college does further and its miles away
Reply 8
It depends what your sixthform means by further maths.. For me, I did 12 maths modules, so that's two full A levels in Maths and then Further Maths, but some people just do a few modules and it'll just be an AS.

When people say double maths they mean m and fm being 2 seperate A levels. And not many people would take FM as it's not for people that aren't very good at maths! It's a step up from regular maths, like the first year of maths degree in some respects, so unis respect it as such - or I have found them to have anyway..
Reply 9
i see..
cos no ones pickin it so they wont run the course
So ur sayin it will disadvatanage me?
Further Maths will be an advantage to do - yet it has a 50% pass rate at grade A because it's only taken by high calliber students. It shows you can think logically and are that much better at problem solving etc, and can be related to skills you need for anything really.

Try and persuade some friendsto enroll for it! If you stick through it you won't regret it :smile:
Reply 11
o thnk u v much ill try!!
No

Further Maths will give you an advantage, but just as long as you have a decent Maths qualification you will do well.

Dont be disappointed if you dont get Further Maths, a German qualification will be very useful for you if you plan to study abroad. It will help you when your company is negotiating with other companies in another country.

Maths, Physics and Chemistry are a great and powerful combo. German will only add to it
Reply 13
Further Maths and Maths are not the same A Level nor are they different ones, what happens is that the modules of Core Maths are set for each A2, and the applied shuffled around so that you're awarded the minimum amount of marks for your maximum grade in Maths.

I really would give up German; As others have said, for a career in Engineering the others will be more useful. However, if you're really keen on it, Chemistry is probably the next one to drop. It will be quite a selling point to have German AS.

Latest