The Student Room Group

Physio & NHS funding

Hi all!
I'm currently doing a BSc in Biomed Sci at Cardiff, and thinking about applying for one of the MSc's in physios that are about. Anywhos, I see that the NHS cover the cost of your fees, but do you have any obligation to work for them for a minimum amount of time after you graduate? My parents are in Canada and I hope to join them- however getting in to do physio in a uni there would require me to take a year out before applying (so I can gain home fees) and it is also extremely difficult to get a place anyway, otherwise I'd just head there straight away.
So what I'm trying to say is- can I train as a physio here and then run away to another country?
Thanks guys :smile:
PS. All the physio blogs are fab, really good insight! Keep up the good job guys!
Reply 1
maybe I missed it but I don't recall signing anything to that effect.

Would be a bit rough with not a lot of jobs around if you had to stay here
Reply 2
So job prospects for physios in the UK are pretty bleak?
Reply 3
you are not under any obligation to work in the NHS for any period, so feel free to jet off abroad! And yes, the job market for newly qualified physio's in the uk is absolutley, completley terrible!! Put it this way I know people who have been looking for thier first job for 3 years:eek: Do yourself a favour and work abroad:wink:
I dont think there is really any set time you have to work in the NHS.
The fact that you have to work for free on placements and the like throughout your course, is probably where they help make back some of their money.
I wouldnt worry too much about it, run away :biggrin:
Reply 5
SamJL
you are not under any obligation to work in the NHS for any period, so feel free to jet off abroad! And yes, the job market for newly qualified physio's in the uk is absolutley, completley terrible!! Put it this way I know people who have been looking for thier first job for 3 years:eek: Do yourself a favour and work abroad:wink:
sam is right - no obligation to stay here at all. However you have to be careful with regards to getting degrees here as it is a year shorte than everythwere else in the world (everywhere else is 4 years) and as a result that often means you have to take extra courses or exams before you're allowed to practice....this is defintiely the case for new zealand and oz, and I think for canada too, so you need to bear this in mind.

Alos....competition for MSc is quite intense, so it may pay to have a back up plan incase you don't get in, i.e. doing undergrad instead

Latest