The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i put mine down, xavtastic@ (my name is xavier) which is stupid but they shouldn't think badly of me...right?
it's not like what my friend put, freak_in_the_cage@ (lmao.....)
Reply 2
My mate put down phatcow-something, shes into a good uni now.
last year when i was applying my email was superstar..@.. and my teacher told me to definately change it :/ so i made a new one.
Reply 4
Mine sounds really childish... hopefully it'll be fine. They can't discriminate people on their e-mail address names, right??
Reply 5
At the end of the day, if your application is good, a silly e-mail address is bound to be overlooked.
^ Or so we hope. =S
I made a new one cos my old one is lame from year 6!

Only took a min, and stopped me risking the tiny chance that the admin does not like my email lol

Maybe I should get an email called "[email protected]".

Good idea? :wink:
city_chic
Mine sounds really childish... hopefully it'll be fine. They can't discriminate people on their e-mail address names, right??

Course they can. If someone claims to be really hardworking, professional, dedicated and mature and has an email address like [email protected], then yeah, I don't see why not.
guys just passing some information on from what Reading Uni told my school when we had a conference day there. They said that the Email address helps give an overall impression and should be smart and sensible. They told us someone applied with [email protected] and they got rejected. So would be best just to use your name guys.
Reply 10
onehitwonder
guys just passing some information on from what Reading Uni told my school when we had a conference day there. They said that the Email address helps give an overall impression and should be smart and sensible. They told us someone applied with [email protected] and they got rejected. So would be best just to use your name guys.

LOL

and as for generalebriety's example, i would not be suprised :p:
it doesn't take long to make a new one...i didn't risk it and made myself a nice new sensible one for all my ucas stuff, and kept my old one for general chit chat and messenger... i also found that it is easier to do it that way because all the important information can be kept in one place :smile:, good luck to everyone applying this year!!
I'm now wondering how the hell I still got accepted into most of my choices for law last year, seeing as my email is something along the lines of eazytiger...terrible!
maddi_666
it doesn't take long to make a new one...i didn't risk it and made myself a nice new sensible one for all my ucas stuff, and kept my old one for general chit chat and messenger... i also found that it is easier to do it that way because all the important information can be kept in one place :smile:, good luck to everyone applying this year!!

Same, I use it only for UCAS and uni open day info etc.
That way I know where all the important mail is, and it is easy to find something if i need to.
city_chic

Well I'm sure the vetty people at Notts will like your email address. =P
Reply 15
For anything remotely official I would only ever use firstname.lastname@..., something similar or [email protected]
Reply 16
Mine was pretty childish so I changed mine to [email protected]

IMO it's worth setting up a new account so as to simply not tempt fate.
Reply 17
my friend applied with the email "pass the shot glass", and got in to most places :biggrin: I've always had a boring email address though, so I had no problems.A girl in my year had hannah luvs chocolate, and another was helen melon, so it can't matter too much :p:
Reply 18
Seriously, it's not quite the worry you're making it out to be. Yes, if it's a wildly crazy e-mail address, then create a new firstname.lastname address (or similar) to make sure all's well. It's easy to create one of these after all.

Most of you don't seem to have addresses that are off the scale. If you have a mildly unprofessional addy, it's hardly going to make the difference between acceptance and rejection.

Yes, an address like 'pickmeyouidiots' or 'cutie_wonder_doggy_giggles_hehe' might cause a little concern, but addresses like 'mouse_mat' and 'xavtastic' are hardly problematic.

And if the addy 'phatcow-something' can get into a good uni, it's even more reason to relax.

Rant over. :wink:
Reply 19
I have a fun childish one for msn messenger and email and things like myspace. Anything official, I'd go with your name like the other guys.

Latest

Trending

Trending