The Student Room Group

Unofficial mark scheme for aqa as law unit 1

anyone know any correct answers from AQA paper today (16th May) unit 1?

how did you all find it?
Not so sure about all the answers, but ive got a question thats killing me, did the question 3 of the criminal courts and lay people section ask for advantages and disadvantages of lay people, or only advantages? I cant seem to remember and its so frustrating
Original post by DoctorDan
Went okay I guess. How'd you find it? Parlimentary law-making wasnt too bad. Delegated legislation was okay and lay people was just about managable for me xD

Good yes thank u- was shocked by the first question on delegated legislation on statutory instruments as they normally come up as 5 marks for 2!! Yes I blagged work/role of magistrates and jury..what did you include in that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asteroid007
Not so sure about all the answers, but ive got a question thats killing me, did the question 3 of the criminal courts and lay people section ask for advantages and disadvantages of lay people, or only advantages? I cant seem to remember and its so frustrating

It was advantages and disadvantages of lay people (magistrates and jury!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rebeccael28
Good yes thank u- was shocked by the first question on delegated legislation on statutory instruments as they normally come up as 5 marks for 2!! Yes I blagged work/role of magistrates and jury..what did you include in that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For work of lay magistrates I talked about what types of offences they deal with (all summary and some triable either way ones depending on their jurisdiction). I mentioned how they deal with all preliminary hearings, especially those for indictable. I made a brief mention of how they sometimes sit on appeals at the crown court. I also talked about how they can extaend bail applications and issue warrants for arrest. Um I forgot to mention the youth court in the answer which is annoying. How did you find the lay people questions??
People who did Statutory Interpretation, Judicial Precedent and Lay persons?
Original post by DoctorDan
For work of lay magistrates I talked about what types of offences they deal with (all summary and some triable either way ones depending on their jurisdiction). I mentioned how they deal with all preliminary hearings, especially those for indictable. I made a brief mention of how they sometimes sit on appeals at the crown court. I also talked about how they can extaend bail applications and issue warrants for arrest. Um I forgot to mention the youth court in the answer which is annoying. How did you find the lay people questions??

For magistrates I wrote how they could apply, what requirements they needed to become one then said the offences they deal with and they work as bench of 3, they can sentence if within their powers but no longer than 6 months imprisonment or fines exceeding ยฃ5000. For jury I talked about JCSB selection and disqualification, deferral and excusal then what their role is in courts. Do you reckon that's okay?? For the last question in advantages and disadvantages I did 3 advantages for magistrates and 3 disadvantages then 3 advantages for jury and 3 disadvantages for jury...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jesus Christ had time for all that?? You didn't have to talk about selection of neither tbh but hey the more the better
Original post by garanhao76
Jesus Christ had time for all that?? You didn't have to talk about selection of neither tbh but hey the more the better

Yeah haha I had 1 minute to spare so I looked over the whole paper again! My hand was so sore and I know but I just thought I would write it incase I gained marks as in past papers they've awarded marks for little things like that! What do you think the grade boundaries will be like this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I reckon they will be quite high, I'm not sure about other sections but mine (Judicial precedent, Statutory interpretation and Lay persons) Were really not easy, but accessible. Apart from a cheeky question on the Court of Appeal it was a good paper overall.
I reckon they will make unit 2 hard, so they can then balance the grade boundaries.
Reply 10
Original post by garanhao76
I reckon they will be quite high, I'm not sure about other sections but mine (Judicial precedent, Statutory interpretation and Lay persons) Were really not easy, but accessible. Apart from a cheeky question on the Court of Appeal it was a good paper overall.
I reckon they will make unit 2 hard, so they can then balance the grade boundaries.

What was the answer for that court of appeal question. All i wrote was the 3 exceptions and thats literally about it. How did u get full marks on that one
I wrote that if they got a precedent from the supreme Court: They would have to follow it or distinguish it.
By following it they would just you know follow it.
Distinguishing (gave explanation with 2 cases)
Then what they would do with the precedent of their own I said:
Follow it(again)
Distinguish it (again no explanation needed)
Or overrule it (then explained the young exceptions)
But I was an absolute idiot and wrote Young v BRB instead of young v bristol aeroplane ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ but hopefully it won't be too bad

Quick Reply