The Student Room Group

A2 OCRB Help

Hey guys, just looking for some examples... I originally had tried to calculate the velocity of a moving ball by the energy it gave to a pendulum, however i couldn't get the ball to come to rest on the weight, and there is no material with a coefficient of r = 0, thus all momentum can't be transfered, so i scrapped it.

Also i'm pretty sure we have to work something out? As in, discover. i.e. I also considered the old experiment which models electron collisions, a curtain rail + bail bearings, where the velocity of the ball being hit is less than expected since momentum is lost due to rotational spin.

So basically, i'm just looking for some past examples :smile: Cheers
Reply 1
Still need ideas :biggrin:
Reply 2
It might be more useful if you posted the question.

Otherwise it's very hard to give you any specific help. :smile:
Reply 3
There is no question as such :/ it's coursework. You have to investigate an area of interest, and develop some kind of hypothesis and test it. How anyone has ever managed to create an original conclusion i'll never know. For now, i've gone about the idea of modelling electron collisions, showing that one based on linear mechanics predicts a height too large for the mass struck; then coming up with the idea of kinetic energy in the rotational system, accounting for the large velocity vector.

What i was actually asking for, was some past examples. An idea of what i should be writing, or what experiments worked... which i thought i made clear at in my original post :/
Reply 4
Oh, it's a project. Have you researched ballistic pendulums? That's basically what your first post was about.

I don't have any past examples (or know of anyone that does).

Latest