The Student Room Group

Maybe a longshot, but anyone doing the MML Course at Manchester, or got any info?

I got an offer back from Manchester to do French and Spanish on their MML course rather than their BA course from the advice of my head of department who, annoyingly, didn't seem to know much about the difference between the courses and I applied a bit blindly to be frank. :s-smilie:

I've tried the Manchester website, obviously, but in terms of what modules, what's compulsory, what's optional, what's different etc. it's all a bit vague.

So, does anyone have any experience of the course from either being on it or doing research that's unearthed a little more than I've found!? And know whether if I don't like the MML how easy it would be to switch down to the BA?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
I do the MML - anyway it makes no difference in the first two years between the BA and the MML. If you decide you don't want to do it any more it is very easy to swap and if you dont get an average of 55% in the first two years you are asked to swap anyway. The majority of the people here don't know the difference tbh but in terms of compulsory modules have a look at the handbooks here http://www.llc.manchester.ac.uk/intranet/ug/handbooks/ look at the French Studies and the Spanish, Portugese and Latin American Studies ones and there should be appropriate MML sections. Any more questions give us a shout.
Reply 2
Hey- I was considering applying for the MML course in French/German at Manchester, but I was wondering- what's it like? I'm guessing the previous posters would have graduated by now- is the MML worth it?
Reply 3
Hi guys,

I am doing the MML at the moment and in my opinion it is worth doing but as the website says, it is "academically challenging". For example, you need to write 2 dissertations in years 3 and 4 and the Masters level courses require more time/dedication and analysis than the undergraduate subjects.

If you have specific questions, I'd suggest you contact Florianne Place-Verghnes who is in charge of the MML. She is very thorough and honest about what the degree is and isn't.

Good luck on applying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending