The Student Room Group

Said "yeah" in a phone interview

I had a brief technical job interview (not a full on interview) for an IT position (lasted 5 minutes), and unfortunately I said "yeah" a lot, rather than something more formal like "indeed". Everything else went well, as I said pretty much most of the right things to show I'm right for the position (skills etc).

I was on the phone to the head developer, so I don't know if he was more interested and more keen to find out about my development skills and subsequently have less interest in my interview skills. The next interview will be with the HR manager who will be the opposite - more interested in my social skills and interview skills rather than my technical skills.

Could this be a fatal mistake?
Reply 1
Your job requires you to 'shut up and program' from the sound of it :P not talk :wink:

Seriously though, personally I'd think the only problem could be that you said yeah too many times, like you could say indeed too many times. Not the fact that you said yeah. Unless its a really stuck up formal company where you have to do a lot of PR, representations, etc. etc. and need to sound like the queen :wink:
I would imagine that saying 'indeed' a lot would be worse than 'yeah'. I mean as long as you don't grunt down the phone it shouldn't matter too much.
Reply 3
Lols "OK" or "mmhmm" are good alternatives :biggrin: I wouldn't worry - I have a very strong scouse accent and it hasn't prevented me from getting a job. Good luck in the other interview!
Reply 4
the problem with the phone interview is that you cant use nodding and facial expressions in response to questions
this means theres a limited amount of simple agnowledgement responses so your bound to repeat yourself a bit.
Its probably better than saying nothing at all.
Reply 5
It's not the end of the world... you'd probably sound fake if you said "indeed" to be honest... not that I know much about interviews.
Reply 6
...?

If that's your biggest worry, you're doing ok mate! Keep up the good work.

andy.
Reply 7
Reminds me of my Waitrose telephone interview when is said "Yep" to about 10 questions, oh well, still got the job.
Reply 8
I know someone who said yes a lot in their phone interview but she still got the job.
Reply 9
And? Don't overanalyse.

It could be worse. I had someone in today who when I asked them "What would you're old boss say about you if I rang them up?" and they replied with "That I'm Lazy." :rolleyes:
That's not as bad as saying 'Aye' all the time lol :biggrin: :cool: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending