The Student Room Group

University with One A2?

I recently moved 150 miles across country and due to not having the same exam boards over here, I'm only doing one A2 (& GenStudies) and some more AS's.
I know it's possible to get into university with one A2 but I was wondering if anyone is? The A2 I'm currently studying is Computing and luckily I'm interested in going into Computing at university.
Just wondering if anyone is currently in uni with one A2 and a bunch of AS's or has been?
Thanks.
Reply 1
2 A2s is pushing it. One A2? What Uni are you looking at that takes only 1 A2?
Reply 2
You will be able to but it wont be a good one. Someone I know only had a D and shes gone to Buckinghamshire Chilterns
I never knew any universities offered you a place if you only had one A2. Certainly, no good ones will.
Reply 4
You do know you can change exam boards after AS?:p:

You will have 2 at unis that accept general studies and there are quite a few unis that accept 2 AS levels in place of 1.

Or there are also foundation years at universities which you could look into?
Reply 5
If you're a mature student they might consider it...
Reply 6
Access course, foundation course? You can get into really good unis if you do those, but I doubt you will get into anywhere good with only one A2, you've got nothing to prove your right to be there..
Reply 7
What are your predicted grades? What AS levels are you doing and have you done?
Reply 8
I wasn't asking if it's possible, I was just wondering if anyone here has/knows someone who has.
The course I was recommended to do was;
The University of Bolton (B44)
Computing including HND (3.5 years) (G402)
Reply 9
I only have 2 A2s and I did pretty well for myself. One may be pushing it unless there are serious extenuating circumstances.
Reply 10
Psyk
I only have 2 A2s and I did pretty well for myself. One may be pushing it unless there are serious extenuating circumstances.

Excluding General Studies, right?
Reply 11
Riquelmeuk
Excluding General Studies, right?

Of course:p:

I only did an AS in general studies anyway. Didn't even do very well in it.
Reply 12
Riquelmeuk
I wasn't asking if it's possible, I was just wondering if anyone here has/knows someone who has.
The course I was recommended to do was;
The University of Bolton (B44)
Computing including HND (3.5 years) (G402)

The university is hardly good.
Reply 13
Which "Good" Universities do a Computing HND that will lead me onto the chance of doing a degree, if any?
Thanks for all the help :smile:
Reply 14
Do more A2s.
Reply 15
I think it wouldn't hurt to try. But don't settle for a university you don't want to go to. If you don't get any offers you are happy with, spend an extra year doing some more A2s. If I hadn't got the offer I wanted that's what I was planning on doing.
Reply 16
What are your predicted grades?
Reply 17
I only had one A2 due to the fact that I was home-schooled and followed my own little eccentric curriculum, but still got into good universities.

In your case, as in mine, only getting one A2 is not down to lack of intelligence but to unchangeable circumstances. I would, however, strongly advise you to ask your new school / college whether you can study for some more A2s independently and sit the exams (for free obviously) at the school. Most universities will want you to have full A-levels in the subjects most relevant to your degree, and though it will be slightly harder for you to attain these now, it's not impossible and the school *should* help you to do this.
Reply 18
A good friend of mine got into the University of Leeds to do Politics with one A2. It was an A grade and he did have three AS grades A as well, but it shows it's possible to get into a good uni with one A2.
You could do a completely different qualification.

IB?

Latest

Trending

Trending