The Student Room Group

Flat sharing: single sex or mixed?

Basically, I'm a girl and wanting to go to Uni next year, living in a self catered flat (not just on a corridor) and I've got the option of living in a mixed sex lat or one with just other girls... What are people's experiences of this? I'm tempted to go for mixed sex because some of my best friends are guys and I find them generally more esy to get along with and there's no bitchiness, cliqueyness etc, but then theres the thing about guys being really messy, but i think i could probably cope with that as long it was just in the shared areas (ie my room wold be tidy) and not to the extreme... But then again maybe it would be easier with girls to make close friendships and running from room to bathroom in my towel, and just general girly stuff like that...

Basically can you share your experiences, and guys, are you really THAT messy ALL the time???

Thanks!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm a guy and our 7 person flat is a tip, especially the kitchen. Dishes are piled up for at least a week at a time, often lots of rubbish too. And cause it's a guys flat people seem to think it's ok to have sex in the toilet or take a dumpn on the floor in there :s-smilie: (that was horrible!).
I really wanted to live mixed sex but I'm actually really enjoying just living with guys and having my girl mates over most nights. Means we can have guy nights whenever we want and I still get to hang out with both sex's.
Reply 2
In my first year, I lived in a mixed-sex flat. The guys I lived with were loud and messy, and this stressed the girls out and caused arguments. Things were never resolved properly, and there were petty arguments. I tend to get on with both males and females equally, but I found that in our flat, trying to get on with either sex, especially guys, was very difficult.
This year, I live in a single sex flat. We all get on very well, the flat stays tidy, and issues are talked through and resolved sensibly. Most of the girls are in relationships, and their boyfriends are over a lot, so there's often some male company - but since it's not their flat, they treat it with respect. It's a much happier environment for me this year; everyone gets on a lot better.
I was worried about living with just girls before i came to uni (I had no choice, single sex corridors only) as i get on far better with guys than girls, but now i'm so glad its girls only. The guys corridors are always being trashed, the wild parties are always there and they dont seem to understand the concept of quiet.

I'd def reccomend the girls, we dont really tend to be that bitchy, we're 18, not 14 anymoree.
Reply 4
Girls are invariably less tidy than guys. It's a complete myth that the opposite is true. Surprised me, as well, but that's what I've observed. My flatmate's fine, but mixed is more interesting (in an entirely non-sexual way lol)
Reply 5
My whole flat is girls (not my choice) and I hate it.

So much bitchyness and it's freakishly tidy. Like, I'll have a cup of tea and go for a wee and by the time I get back someones cleaned my cup, dried it and put it on the 'cup tree'... I like mess. This is like living in an institute :frown:
Reply 6
Girls are less messy than boys!? I wish, it would've made it so much nicer in my flat last year if my female flatmates knew how to clean.
I'd suggest a mixed flat, because at least then it balances out a bit so that you don't get a load of bitchy girls or loud/messy blokes.
Reply 7
In my flat there are 6 girls and 3 boys. 2 of the boys are quite anti social but the other guy hangs around with our group a lot. I'm quite happy with a mixed flat, as I was quite worried that an all girls flat would be too bitchy.
Reply 8
I've only ever lived in mixed-sex accommodation and I wouldn't have it any other way. Some guys are needed to balance out the bitchiness and cliqueiness of the girls. They really are just soo much more chilled and there's no way I'd ever want to live in an all-girl house.
Reply 9
I'm living with 7 girls and i'm absolutely hating it. It's so unbelievably bitchy, if I wasn't as strong willed i'd have put in a request to move out by now, into somewhere mixed. My friend who was in mixed accommodation said that you couldn't pay her to live in a single sex flat.

Mixed all the way!
i live in a mixed flat..we're 3 girls 3 guys (though one of the girls is hardly ever here). i love it i couldnt do with girls only! Our kitchen's a pit, but not only cos of the guys...i'm one of the sort that has a mess in the room though rather tidy in communal area however there's a guy in our flat who's uber tidy so you never know what ya get really!

Mixed full the way, it's all chilled out and just great!
Reply 11
I'm my first year I lived with all girls and it was a nightmare! Had so many arguments and people not speaking to each other. Not to mention the lack of hot water! This year I'm living with 2 guys and 2 girls and it's so much better, more laid back. The messiest person in the flat is a girl! The 2 guys are very clean and tidy. Both the guys and girls walk round in towels and nobody cares!
Id say go for mixed. Im in a mixed building, but there are only other girls in my flat, and to be honest a bit more variety would be nice. And in relation of what 'whatever...' said I wouldnt worry about guys causing mess. My flat kitchen is a pit (unfortunatly...) and its all girls.
Abeille
My whole flat is girls (not my choice) and I hate it.

So much bitchyness and it's freakishly tidy. Like, I'll have a cup of tea and go for a wee and by the time I get back someones cleaned my cup, dried it and put it on the 'cup tree'... I like mess. This is like living in an institute :frown:

JESUS CHRIST my mum does that and it pisses me off! I get a drink and leave it for one minute and it's gone, and she's in my ear going on about cleaning up after myself... JESUS!

Sorry.
Reply 14
I live in a mixed-sex halls but on a single-sex floor, you'd never know it though because there are constantly guys on the floor (and in the girls rooms) making the girls even gigglier and even more hyper than when they're just with other girls.
Reply 15
Nothing more annoying than giggly and hyper girls!

I live in mixed-sex halls and love it. Everyone gets on so well, I think its because of the balance. The guys are so funny and tbh I share more in common with them even though i'm a girl. I've sat up with them playing Playstation at 3am but i've also got girls who I can swap clothes with and borrow make up off :biggrin:

I really love my halls now. Everyone gets on so well, its amazingly fun especially after a night out when everyone gets together in the common room and has a lot of silly drunken chat :biggrin: there are a couple of hermits though :frown: you know the people who you never really see
Reply 16
It depends a lot on you. With all girl flats there are typically huge fallouts, with Girl Guy flats there are usualy fallouts because of the girls. Its a bit of a loose loose situation... you just need to get into a flat with people who you can live with.
Reply 17
I'm a girl living in a mixed sex flat. There's two girly girls, one shy guy and three other guys. For the first night I was with the three guys who were great but its still great with the girls. I think if you live with both sexes then if you feel tired of the guys you can talk with girls and vice versa. Living with all girls/guys might cause problems/boredome/whatever.
Reply 18
I live in a mixed sex house, there's 12 of us with 4 boys and 8 girls and I can honestly say the cleanest member of my house is one of the boys. Some of the girls are filthy! Really haven't found it a problem living with boys, was a bit weird at first but now I really like it. If anything I was hoping for a more equal balance of boys and girls, but we all get on fine. Really couldn't see myself in single sex accomodation, would have felt like I was back at school (I went to an all girls high school).
Reply 19
The 4 girls that i live with in a rented house atm are soooo messy, *almost* dirty. The house is disgusting. Bleurgh.

On the other hand, last year i lived with just one boy, who was cleaner and more cleaning obsessed than me!

The state of cleanliness really depends on the type of people and not the sex. As such, i'd go for mixed if i were you. I'm only living with just girls this year as i'm a 4th year and most of the guys i know have well graduated already.