The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Paragraphs

I sent my ucas in last monday and everything was fine then, now im having a few problems.

When i did my personal statement i left line in between paragraphs; i was going for clarity when reading, it would make their lives more easy.
Everything was fine then, i checked on preview and everything, i had to remove quite a few lines but was okay with that.
However, i've been logging in since to see whats going on with my ucas and today noticed that the blank lines have been removed, leaving my PS as massive chunk of text

This is REALLY annoying me; i sacrificed loads of lines for it and it's been removed. Has this happened for everyone? (i've been logging in throughout the week but it just happened today) Should i phone my college and check whats going on? If i contact ucas would it be possible to send a revised personal statement or something?
Here we go again for the third time this week.

Just take a look at this thread, which will answer all your questions.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...28#post9980728
Reply 2
Bad link...
Reply 3
Good bloke
Here we go again for the third time this week.

Just take a look at this thread, which will answer all your questions.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...28#post9980728

sorry if im asking a stupid question

Not Found
The requested URL /show...28 was not found on this server

EDIT:
i saw your post

What you must try and remember is that the piece should be considered as a whole. Trying to squeeze in every last character's worth of detail, if it reduces the overall flow and legibility, is damaging to your message. You have to prioritise what you put in. Nearly everyone can write a 5,000 character piece effectively over 70 lines. Your challenge is to do it in 4,000 characters over 47 lines and this involves making some tough decisions.

It is your only opportunity to show directly to the admissions tutor how effective you are at communicating and how intelligently you can handle the applications process. If your message is diluted by bad spelling, grammar, punctuation, layout, irrelevant (or less relevant) detail, cliche or gratuitous bull**** you will be the loser and competitors will be handed an advantage over you.

And cliche (for the avoidance of doubt, and contrary to what a lot of teachers may tell you) in this context includes that old chestnut of saying, for instance, that you became determined on a career in engineering from the time you made a model of the Eiffel Tower in Meccano at the age of ten.

And just to illustrate the point, here is the same message all scrunched up to hit a line limit (and bear in mind that your PS would look much worse because the lines are shorter relative to your message:

What you must try and remember is that the piece should be considered as a whole. Trying to squeeze in every last character's worth of detail, if it reduces the overall flow and legibility, is damaging to your message. You have to prioritise what you put in. Nearly everyone can write a 5,000 character piece effectively over 70 lines. Your challenge is to do it in 4,000 characters over 47 lines and this involves making some tough decisions.
It is your only opportunity to show directly to the admissions tutor how effective you are at communicating and how intelligently you can handle the applications process. If your message is diluted by bad spelling, grammar, punctuation, layout, irrelevant (or less relevant) detail, cliche or gratuitous bull**** you will be the loser and competitors will be handed an advantage over you.
And cliche (for the avoidance of doubt, and contrary to what a lot of teachers may tell you) in this context includes that old chestnut of saying, for instance, that you became determined on a career in engineering from the time you made a model of the Eiffel Tower in Meccano at the age of ten.

but im asking if ucas REMOVE your extra line spaces
Reply 4
paperclip

but im asking if ucas REMOVE your extra line spaces

Yeah, don't worry - it just happens if you're on Firefox. The universities will see it with lines. :smile:
Reply 5
Reverie.
Yeah, don't worry - it just happens if you're on Firefox. The universities will see it with lines. :smile:

omg thanks, i almost had a heart attack
i think i currently want your babies now

your up for rep

(why does firefox do it, i logged in on IE and checked)
Reply 7
paperclip
omg thanks, i almost had a heart attack
i think i currently want your babies now

your up for rep

(why does firefox do it, i logged in on IE and checked)

:p:

I don't really understand it, but someone explains the techy stuff here.
Reply 8
wow, thats pretty interesting
i geddit, kinda :P

so, where ya applying Reverie?
Reply 9
Durham, St Andrews and York - what about you? :smile:
Reply 10
Birmingham
Edinburgh
Surrey
Surrey
UWE

ya just applied to the three then?
Reply 11
Yup, but Durham and St Andrews twice. Do you have a favourite? And what subject are you going for actually?
Reply 12
Edinburgh is my top choice
closely followed by birmingham

im going for psychology and sociology (yes mickey mouse degrees :P)
in birmingham i went for sociology, and one of my surrey's is a sociology sandwich course
Reply 13
Ah, Edinburgh - good choice! :p: I'd probably apply there if it wasn't too close to home, 'tis such a great city.
Reply 14
haha, im the same, i missed out a few really good london ones because i wanna get outta here!
plus, expensive place to live

heard really good things about edinburgh uni though
Reply 15
it happens if you're on Mac Safari too- scared the life out of me!! I'd spent ages editing so that I STILL had the lines in but it was under the character/ line limit.

And at school on Windows Explorer it had lines in again, so i was :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending