The Student Room Group

Applying while at University

Hi there!

I'm in a big dilemma.

I've just started my 3-year-degree course at Oxford but am really unhappy because I want to apply for drama school and was rushed into applying for Oxford. I have the option of deferring my year at Oxford right now and was wondering whether I would be able to apply for drama school through UCAS while keeping my deferred place at Oxford as I don't want to lose it in case i don't get into drama school. Or do I have to drop out of Oxford completely in order to apply for drama school through UCAS?

Thank you!
Can't you study something like drama school at oxford, Im sure they'd change your subject for you and Its always nice to have oxford on a resume. Btw, the guy from Borat studied there 2.
Reply 2
monagro
Can't you study something like drama school at oxford, Im sure they'd change your subject for you and Its always nice to have oxford on a resume. Btw, the guy from Borat studied there 2.

Nope, he was at Cambridge.:smile:

Oxford doesn't offer any drama courses, unfortunately. Besides, I'm pretty sure UCAS won't let you apply while you're holding a deferred offer.
Reply 3
Why not do your 3 years at Oxford and do a post-grad year at drama school? Most people don't get into an acting course until they are in their 20s anyway and a lot go to university first as they like you to have more "life experience"...
Reply 4
What are you studying at the moment?
Reply 5
Spending three years on a course you're genuinely unhappy with isn't necessarily such a great idea, though...
I think you should get the amazing experience which will be the Oxford degree (think how many people want to be in your situation with a place at Oxford!) then do Drama School after that. That way, if you dont get into a Drama School, you could fall back on the amazing value of having a degree from Oxford.

What degree are you doing at Oxford, as well?
Reply 7
Speedbird2006
I think you should get the amazing experience which will be the Oxford degree (think how many people want to be in your situation with a place at Oxford!) then do Drama School after that. That way, if you dont get into a Drama School, you could fall back on the amazing value of having a degree from Oxford.

How will it be an amazing experience, though, if he's unhappy about his course and just biding his time there until he can do what he actually wants? Being at Oxford doesn't make you happy by default, and a degree from there doesn't constitute a value in itself - at the end of the day it's just a degree, not a golden ticket to wherever you want to go.

Of course it IS rather early to tell, seeing as this is only third week - just about :p: - and he may turn out to like it after all, but I don't think it'll be a good idea to try and stick it out, no matter what.

OP: have you tried speaking to your moral tutor about this yet?

Edit: Wait a minute... Re: "just started on my three-year degree course at Oxford" - would you care to explain this, then?^o)
Reply 8
People lie on this forum all the time
Reply 9
hobnob
How will it be an amazing experience, though, if he's unhappy about his course and just biding his time there until he can do what he actually wants? Being at Oxford doesn't make you happy by default, and a degree from there doesn't constitute a value in itself - at the end of the day it's just a degree, not a golden ticket to wherever you want to go.

Of course it IS rather early to tell, seeing as this is only third week - just about :p: - and he may turn out to like it after all, but I don't think it'll be a good idea to try and stick it out, no matter what.

OP: have you tried speaking to your moral tutor about this yet?

Edit: Wait a minute... Re: "just started on my three-year degree course at Oxford" - would you care to explain this, then?^o)

oh yes, my friend was using my account to get advice from you guys because hes in that dilemma. obviously, id have to be quite crazy to make this story up out of boredom :biggrin: i can assure you its a genuine situation :wink:

so, i see the question hasnt really been answered yet. would it be possible to apply through ucas while holding a deferred place at a university? if not, would it be possible to apply to drama schools that don't require you to go through the UCAS procedure (which are quite a bunch) while holding a deferred place or would my friend be breaking some kind of rules by doing that?

thank you.
Reply 10
TheRob
oh yes, my friend was using my account to get advice from you guys because hes in that dilemma. obviously, id have to be quite crazy to make this story up out of boredom :biggrin: i can assure you its a genuine situation :wink:
Ah. Right.

so, i see the question hasnt really been answered yet. would it be possible to apply through ucas while holding a deferred place at a university?

It has been answered, actually. No, it isn't possible.

if not, would it be possible to apply to drama schools that don't require you to go through the UCAS procedure (which are quite a bunch) while holding a deferred place or would my friend be breaking some kind of rules by doing that?

Since it's really a UCAS thing, I'd assume there would be nothing to stop you/your friend/your elder sister's ex-boyfriend/whoever else is using your account from doing that. Except perhaps that you might feel you're being a bit dishonest, because you'd effectively be lying both to your current and to your future university...:dontknow:

At any rate, I'd suggest talking to a moral tutor and/or a student peer supporter first. That's what they're there for, after all.
Reply 11
hobnob

It has been answered, actually. No, it isn't possible.

My friend talked to his tutor at Oxford and apparently it is possible to apply through UCAS while you're holding a deferred place at a university!? Thought I'd update you guys.

Anyway, stuff has been sorted out! Thanks for the help.

Latest

Trending

Trending