The Student Room Group

Boatie

What's this boatie thing I read so much about?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Boatie = anyone who does rowing

Stereotypical boatie = very posh person who does rowing, is up their own arse and says 'rah' a lot

:biggrin:
Reply 2
MadNatSci

Stereotypical boatie = very posh person who does rowing, is up their own arse and says 'rah' a lot

Oh right. Ok, cool thanks.
Reply 3
MadNatSci

that is one stereotype that isn't even true for most of the time, unlike other stereotypes... :mad:

also, strictly speaking, boaties are those that are rather keen (read obsessed, for those feeling unkind :frown: ) about rowing, rather than just any old person that has been out in a boat before.

and despite that oh-so-sour smell radiating from the banks and the biting comments that come wafting along with it :biggrin: , i seriously recommend at least giving it a shot before saying rowing's not your thing...
I always thought what really distinguishes boaties from people who just like to row is that they go for the boatie lifestyle.

i.e. They row about 6 times a week and go to about 2 boatie formals a week where they get completely hammered. Also normally only have time to associate with the other boaties and hence get clumped by non-boaties.

George
Clare College
Reply 5
GeorgeYianni
I always thought what really distinguishes boaties from people who just like to row is that they go for the boatie lifestyle.

i.e. They row about 6 times a week and go to about 2 boatie formals a week where they get completely hammered. Also normally only have time to associate with the other boaties and hence get clumped by non-boaties.

Yes - it's less the posh rah thing, more the completely obsessed with rowing to the extent they do and talk about nothing else, often to the detriment of their degree.

Plus they go to formals with other boaties, pull other boaties, and generally spend their life living rowing. Often to be seen in splashtops in lectures.
Reply 6
Helenia
Yes - it's less the posh rah thing, more the completely obsessed with rowing to the extent they do and talk about nothing else, often to the detriment of their degree.

Plus they go to formals with other boaties, pull other boaties, and generally spend their life living rowing. Often to be seen in splashtops in lectures.

hmm... often to the detriment of their degree... i do know of a particular john's boatie medic who did quite well for himself... :wink: but seriously, judging from my own college, boatie medics are usually rather extreme - either first, or third, for the tripos. rarely do they get 2:1s or 2:2s... oh, and there are unconfirmed reports that 3 of 4 engineer boaties from my year in college got 1sts too, including 2 top 10 finishes... :eek:

erm... can't argue with the "living rowing" thing. tbh, it's worse if you're a boatie medic - you either talk about rowing, or about cutting dead people... :rolleyes: damn, i just got myself a splashtop and was planning on wearing it to lectures next year... :biggrin:
Reply 7
KHL
hmm... often to the detriment of their degree... i do know of a particular john's boatie medic who did quite well for himself... :wink: but seriously, judging from my own college, boatie medics are usually rather extreme - either first, or third, for the tripos. rarely do they get 2:1s or 2:2s... oh, and there are unconfirmed reports that 3 of 4 engineer boaties from my year in college got 1sts too, including 2 top 10 finishes... :eek:

Yes, but he stopped rowing for Easter term! :tongue:

I'm not sure too much about the detriment of their degree, but that almost certainly happens at university level. None of our boaties got Firsts, though I don't know what they did get. I don't know about the non-medics either, though we don't have many first boaters in our year. Oh well. If I do it, I won't do it to the extent that I don't work.

And boatie medics are a terrifying thing. Must work on social skills :wink:
Reply 8
I met up with an old friend last night at her 18th birthday, she's off to Oxford to do English next year! Later on in the evening, she quite drunkenly challenged me to a rowing contest before I go...which I accepted! I have never rowed before (well not unless you count the kiddy boats at Llanyravon boating lake ie. small smelly local pond!) but I will do my best!

It's all quite exciting, we've agreed to swap scarfs and attend formal eating events, in the most cheesy way possible! Our old head teacher must be exploding with joy, more than one off to Oxbridge; new record I think!
Reply 9
Helenia

pull other boaties,

sometimes they try & outbreed.. gene pool depletion makes it a necessity presumably :tongue:

though the dedication of a true 'boatie' may give others around them the inclination to give it a go to see what all the fuss is about!

i think 'rah boaties' are generally more boatie hangers on.. who emerge in the summer terms, to drink pimms at the boaties & sometimes fail to pick up eligible boaties.

i have been studying a specimen.. for educational reasons..ahem. :biggrin:
i think you'll find that boatie hangers on are known as "blue tacks" (where the boatie rows for the uni that is) witty eh?! :biggrin:
Reply 11
nez_the_vet
i think you'll find that boatie hangers on are known as "blue tacks" (where the boatie rows for the uni that is) witty eh?! :biggrin:

:rolleyes: LOL!

Helenia
Yes, but he stopped rowing for Easter term!

hmm... that still leaves mich and lent... anyway, aside from revision, i doubt most people had much of a life during easter... river was AMAZINGLY quiet - there were absolutely no jams, and a maximum of 5 or 6 crews who were rowing past at peak morning hours until the exams ended!!!
Reply 12
Elles
sometimes they try & outbreed.. gene pool depletion makes it a necessity presumably :tongue:

Would you like to wave your 1st boat man in front of us any more? :tongue: We can't all have such nice specimens as you - some of us can't manage anything, boatie or not. :frown: And I'm sure anatomy revision was useful.

I've heard the blue tack thing as well, I have to say I quite like it :biggrin:
Reply 13
lol @ blue tack..shall remember that!

Helenia
Would you like to wave your 1st boat man in front of us any more? :tongue: We can't all have such nice specimens as you - some of us can't manage anything, boatie or not. :frown: And I'm sure anatomy revision was useful.

*sheepish* sorry.. :tongue:

it's obviously a problem with those unworthy Tab men! :rolleyes:

wait, i fear i'm in the wrong forum to be saying this.. *daubs some camouflage paint*
Reply 14
Elles
lol @ blue tack..shall remember that!

Hehe, if your boatie gets much better (is he going for blues?) then you'll become one, my dear :tongue:

it's obviously a problem with those unworthy Tab men! :rolleyes:

wait, i fear i'm in the wrong forum to be saying this.. *daubs some camouflage paint

Yes, it's all their fault, nothing to do with me. :rolleyes: Stupid men, stupid stupid men. We hates them.

Here, have some nice light blue paint :wink:
Reply 15
Helenia
Yes, it's all their fault, nothing to do with me. :rolleyes: Stupid men, stupid stupid men. We hates them.

OI! no precious, still no sourpuss! :biggrin:

anyway, if you stick with it, you'd be amazed at your improvement in fitness over the year, even if you don't get too involved and remain in the lower boats, like me! (admittedly because i wasn't good enough in the first place to get a place in a higher boat :frown: - working on it though!)

seriously, give it a try! i might even get to say hi on the river as i cruise past in the cox's seat (novicing again this year :biggrin: )
Reply 16
KHL

seriously, give it a try! i might even get to say hi on the river as i cruise past in the cox's seat (novicing again this year :biggrin: )

We shall see. I will be the one red-faced and dying.
"Boatie" refers to college "have-a-go" rowers, who normally aren't very good. There is a clear distinction between your common muck boatie and your average university oarsman; I mean, who in their right mind would call RBT a boatie...
Mmmm, is there a "grab-a-boat" service which isn't designed for racing, in which you can take a little paddle down the river with your friends?
Reply 19
You mean punting?

Latest

Trending

Trending