Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long after their best before date are eggs safe to eat?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How long after their best before date are eggs safe to eat?

I have 4 eggs with "display until 13 OCT, best before 20 OCT" on them. Are these still ok or will they make me ill/throw up/die/give me cancer/anything else?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They would probably be ok a day after, maybe even a couple of days, but I wouldn't risk it myself tbh. Can't you get salmonella from eggs or something?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Put them in a container of fresh cold water. The higher they rise, the dodgier they are. If they float completely, they're probably not safe. I think as long as they don't float, they're edible.

EDIT:

Researched a bit, and if it rests on its pointed side on the bottom, it's a bit older but fine to eat, if it floats, it's stale. Really fresh eggs should lie sideways on the bottom.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    no seriously, i work on a farm.... eggs usually have best before dates of about 28 days since they were laid. They will be fine to eat up until 6 weeks after! I wouldn't recommend going above six weeks though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If its green, dont eat it
    • 2 followers

yea do the float test. personally i probably wouldnt eat them though but it has only been a day. eggs can be fickle.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that you could eat things after the 'Best before' date but not after the 'Use by' date. So if it says best before you're probably ok eating it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemons)
    They would probably be ok a day after, maybe even a couple of days, but I wouldn't risk it myself tbh. Can't you get salmonella from eggs or something?
    Yeah but only if they are raw (cooking kills salmonella) and if they have been laid by a salmonella infected hen. It doesn't grow by itself in the eggs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Depends how you store them too - are they on the side, or in the fridge?

Crack one open and see how they smell.

The water test is a good one.

I have some with BBE 21st oct, and I don't mind eating them long after that date, but its personal preference.

:ditto: about the salmonella.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used some that were out of date the other day. I wasn't ill and they tasted alright. Like someone has already said, don't eat them if they are green.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 23, 2007
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.