The Student Room Group

Halp with exam case law

Hi there can anyone help.......last semeter i did Tort and passed it, it was ok but im not sure in an exam you learn a case such as hello v douglas for e.g should you in the exam write what the case was about or simply apply it within the exam question..... hope this makes sense cheers xxxx
Reply 1
Mentioning a case in an exam without any further reference will win you very little credit. However, I understand that it is impractical to write out the facts of every case, along with its ratio. What I will tend to do, if the case isn't central to the question, is this, for example:

Since an acceptance is takes effect when it is posted (Adams v. Lindsell), the agreement is concluded at the time of posting, and before communication of the acceptance reaches the offeror.

Of course, you wouldn't do this with something like Royal Bank of Scotland v. Etridge where you were answering a question about undue influence. I guess you have to make a judgement call as to when a case merits extensive discussion.
Reply 2
tinka
Hi there can anyone help.......last semeter i did Tort and passed it, it was ok but im not sure in an exam you learn a case such as hello v douglas for e.g should you in the exam write what the case was about or simply apply it within the exam question..... hope this makes sense cheers xxxx

I find it useful to start off by summarising the case at the start and then refer back to different points in the body of your essay.
Reply 3
muncrun
Mentioning a case in an exam without any further reference will win you very little credit. However, I understand that it is impractical to write out the facts of every case, along with its ratio. What I will tend to do, if the case isn't central to the question, is this, for example:

Since an acceptance is takes effect when it is posted (Adams v. Lindsell), the agreement is concluded at the time of posting, and before communication of the acceptance reaches the offeror.

Of course, you wouldn't do this with something like Royal Bank of Scotland v. Etridge where you were answering a question about undue influence. I guess you have to make a judgement call as to when a case merits extensive discussion.
Reply 4

Latest

Trending

Trending