The Student Room Group

How much revision?

How many months prior to the exams do I need to revise?

My Sociology, Biology and English Language courses should be finished by mid November, so I was thinking of maybe doing three hours a week on each subject from November, then building it up.

My other subjects will probably take until the end of March to finish.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has any idea how much time I need to put in, and over how many months etc.

I want to get really good grades, so appreciate advice! :smile:
Reply 1
go over thing you did a long time ago especially those which relate to what your doing now. But you don't need to start a formal revision schedule until you have finished learning the course.
Reply 2
Blimey, you're lucky! Several of my teachers never actually finished the course! Anyway, don't start too early otherwise by the time you actually need to revise you won't feel like it, start as early as you are comfortable with and then build up from there. Maybe ask your friends when they are starting?
Thanks for the replies! :smile:

Laura2712
Blimey, you're lucky! Several of my teachers never actually finished the course! Anyway, don't start too early otherwise by the time you actually need to revise you won't feel like it, start as early as you are comfortable with and then build up from there. Maybe ask your friends when they are starting?

My friends' are starting in April, I think! I'm not very good at the revision process though- most techniques don't seem to work for me, so I am thinking of starting a bit early.

The reason I finish my courses early is because I'm home educated. :smile: None of the messing around in class: just reading, revision and practice! :p:

On Average, once the revision proccess has begun, how long do most subjects take to revise? I was thinking about 20 hours each... but I may be way off cent! :s-smilie:
Reply 4
O home-educated... makes sense now... It depends on how easy you find subjects to grasp like with maths and sciences I just read through the revision guide a few times however with things like history: I used BBC Bitesize and made notes; I read the revision guidel; I looked at mark schemes etc... mind you this was mainly because our teacher was really quite bad but yeah some subjects take a while - generally subjects with less logical content, some take a few hours prior to the exam.
Revise the things you find hardest, most.

if you keep going over things thinking "but i know all this" then stop, and test yourself in as many ways as you can.

remember, over-revision is like overfilling a bath. put too much in, and it will all start spilling out of the sides, leaving you with no information left xD

there's no set revision time for any subject, i revised for my entire GCSE french in about 3 hours and i got an A*...Business Studies I revised for hours and hours on end for weeks and got a B xD
Thanks for all the great advice! :smile:

SuperSam_Fantastiche
Revise the things you find hardest, most.

if you keep going over things thinking "but i know all this" then stop, and test yourself in as many ways as you can.

remember, over-revision is like overfilling a bath. put too much in, and it will all start spilling out of the sides, leaving you with no information left xD

there's no set revision time for any subject, i revised for my entire GCSE french in about 3 hours and i got an A*...Business Studies I revised for hours and hours on end for weeks and got a B xD

With English Lit/ Language, History and Sociology- I think I'm all right just reading the book and doing past papers (it sinks in quite quickly).

With Maths and the Sciences I reckon I need a bit more practice: so I'll maybe get a revision guide and work through that. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Seen as my friends are starting in April (and they're all really students), I think I'll start a bit in advance, just to make sure I have enough time! :smile:

Maybe 9 weeks before the exams for the majority of my subjects, to ensure that I've got it all sussed! :wink:
sounds like a plan :wink:
Reply 8
Laura2712
Blimey, you're lucky! Several of my teachers never actually finished the course!

I'm not the only one! Its quite scary when 2 hours before the exam you discover an entire section of the cold war your history teacher never got round to! (lol then you're just an idiot if you choose to do the question on it like I did!)

Yeah as the above suggests I didn't exactly revise long and hard and I did better than I expected.

There is such a thing as overworking yourself, many of my friends spent every waking minute from our mocks onwards revising and fell short of their own expectations.

I'd go for a good balance. I started revising about the Easter holidays but didn't have the willpower to keep it up properly. Just make sure you don't start too early or you'll struggle to overcome the boredom nearer to the exams!
Reply 9
Careful, if you start too early you may find that you forget some of what you have learnt. Perhaps I have an unusually short memory span, but I found that come June I had forgotten a lot of the revision I did at Easter! I don't want to discourage you from revising but I think starting in November is far too early, don't stress yourself out unnecessarily too early :wink:
Vesta
Careful, if you start too early you may find that you forget some of what you have learnt. Perhaps I have an unusually short memory span, but I found that come June I had forgotten a lot of the revision I did at Easter! I don't want to discourage you from revising but I think starting in November is far too early, don't stress yourself out unnecessarily too early :wink:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's why i missed an A in business by 1 mark...i i'd left the revision till a bit later i think i'd have aced it XD
Reply 11
SuperSam_Fantastiche
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's why i missed an A in business by 1 mark...i i'd left the revision till a bit later i think i'd have aced it XD

Well I left 80% of my revision for night-before cramming and I did fine. I was very stressed but it worked for me.
Reply 12
I dont think revision works, people tend to do as well as they do. I know people who do ******* all and get 10 A*s and people who do loads and still get crap grades. Ultimately, it's going to change your grades very little
Well I left 80% of my revision for night-before cramming and I did fine. I was very stressed but it worked for me.

See I did that with my German Oral exam, and beat my prediction by 4 grades XD

Oh well, It's not like I need GCSE Business for what I wanna do anyway.....

I dont think revision works, people tend to do as well as they do. I know people who do ******* all and get 10 A*s and people who do loads and still get crap grades. Ultimately, it's going to change your grades very little

To an extent, I can agree with that. Although it's always good to at least skim over what youve done, just to make sure you've remembered it really. And if you don't remember, try to learn it, or else just hope that it doesnt come up in the paper XD

Latest