The Student Room Group

AS Grades

Hi,
I just signed upto this forum, hoping to get some advice. Im currently sitting the Biology A, Physics A and Chemistry A Syllabi for AS. i reciceved my grades last thursday, which were B CC respecitvely. i am now contemplating what to do next, since i would like to apply to medicine. i would appreciate any help that is given, since the required grades are ABB at least for A2 and resittin modules next year will make it harder to achieve these grades for the A2 course content.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Abdul_M
Hi,
I just signed upto this forum, hoping to get some advice. Im currently sitting the Biology A, Physics A and Chemistry A Syllabi for AS. i reciceved my grades last thursday, which were B CC respecitvely. i am now contemplating what to do next, since i would like to apply to medicine. i would appreciate any help that is given, since the required grades are ABB at least for A2 and resittin modules next year will make it harder to achieve these grades for the A2 course content.

Well check out the requirement grades for the uni you wanna go to. If you have BCC as, maybe you can get ABB prediction grades. Therefore apply to unis with grade requirements with abb or less.
Reply 2
well, UCL want a minimum of BBC, but the offer is usually made at ABB and a pass at AS. where kings want ABB and an AS and so do Queen marys.
i have three options ahead of me:
i can resit the year at another school and decline my current grades,
i can resit the modules at my current sixth form
or i can continue without any resits, and work very very very hard to get ABB
if it helps, got a 211 in Biology, which is one mark over a B, and is short of an A by 29 UMS marks, a C in Chem, Short of an A by 44 marks, and Physics is 46 marks short of an A. the total for each course at the A2 level to achive an A is 480 UMS marks
TheWolf
Well check out the requirement grades for the uni you wanna go to. If you have BCC as, maybe you can get ABB prediction grades. Therefore apply to unis with grade requirements with abb or less.

Do your predicted grades go up a grade from what you got at AS level or does it just depend on what your teachers think is capable for you?
Reply 4
How about you try and get predictions of ABB, not declare grades on UCAS form (provided GCSES are good) and then retake your AS modules next year. If you miss an offer or don't get any then take a year out and resit what you need to then.
Reply 5
Cellardore
Do your predicted grades go up a grade from what you got at AS level or does it just depend on what your teachers think is capable for you?

Teacher opinion, so in theory an A at AS could be predicted as a B for A2 if they were harsh.
Reply 6
jumpunderaboat
Teacher opinion, so in theory an A at AS could be predicted as a B for A2 if they were harsh.

Very harsh, but if I was predicted a B when i have an A in as, I wouldnt be happy! And yes, usually you get a grade higher prediction than your as, eg if you have bbb (esp. high bs), you get aaa prediction.
Reply 7
jumpunderaboat

Welcome to my school! Without 270+ at AS, they don't like to predict you an A for A2! :frown:
Reply 8
TheWolf
eg if you have bbb (esp. high bs), you get aaa prediction.

good to know, should have four As in the bag then...if only they weren't predictions. :frown:
Ellie4
Welcome to my school! Without 270+ at AS, they don't like to predict you an A for A2! :frown:

270 out of 300?

i thought 240 was an A anyway?
Reply 10
Cellardore
270 out of 300?

i thought 240 was an A anyway?

It is. Yep, 270/300, anything below will get a B prediction! Stupid school!
Reply 11
Abdul_M
Hi,

You could always consider retaking the year? I know it's not ideal, but it won't be easy to get an offer at a top med school with BBC at AS.

G
Reply 12
Invisible
So, what drugs are they taking? Or alternatively, what drugs do they think you'll be taking at A2 to drmatically reduce your performance, along with consideration that statistically people do better at A2 than AS?

lol.

Oh I know, you don't need to tell me this!!! I've argues it until I'm blue in the face with them :rolleyes: W*nkers!!
Reply 13
well
ive decided what im gonna do, im gonna resit the modules, and then instead of applying directly to medicine, im gonna apply to a degree, earn a 2:1 and then apply to medicine
Reply 14
well guess what! physiology and Pharmacology just made an offer! YAY!, at UCL!!!!
Reply 15
Abdul_M
well guess what! physiology and Pharmacology just made an offer! YAY!, at UCL!!!!

good on you man, glad you sorted it!
Reply 16
im soooo happy! now to get this Bio cwk outta the way! anyone got any tips??
Reply 17
Abdul_M

Aww good things worked out :smile: Congrats
Reply 18
thank you, mind it was cos of the advice i got here that i made that decision, so thanks to all those that helped
Reply 19
Abdul_M
thank you, mind it was cos of the advice i got here that i made that decision, so thanks to all those that helped

:tsr: :love:

Did you manage to get your predicted grades up then? I got an A in one of my AS subjects and got predicted a B which obviously didnt go down too well but I got over it :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending