The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
a third from someone with moderate learning difficulties is worth an aweful lot (mld being those kids that, until recently, were educated in special schools).

a third from someone with unfortunate issues (mourning, medical problems etc) is valuable.

a third from someone that wanted to go to uni to have a good time, party, take drugs, sleep around and leave home and achieved all of this is worth it.

a third may be valued by employers that don't offer graduate positions/ask for university educated applicants may be valued (especially when qualifications are not often high for applicants). for job applicants who want to work in such an environment (i don't know, perhaps an art gallary) then this edge is worth it.

a third class honours is enough to get on some masters courses. achieving a masters with an honours is enough to apply for research council funding for a phd (i.e. through the esrc).

for postgraduate courses/jobs etc that require a 2.1 or above, then a 3rd has no value.
Reply 2
Um...your poll question was confusing, so I voted "disagree" as in "no" in response to the poll question "Is a third worth the paper it's printed on". Seriously dude, get better syntax.

But no, it's going to look worse on a CV than leaving school at 16. You wasted 3 years to get a worthless degree and no experience. Nice work.
I shouldn't really say this, as my friend just got passed out with a 3rd, but seriously...
Poica
Um...your poll question was confusing, so I voted "disagree" as in "no" in response to the poll question "Is a third worth the paper it's printed on". Seriously dude, get better syntax.

But no, it's going to look worse on a CV than leaving school at 16. You wasted 3 years to get a worthless degree and no experience. Nice work.
I shouldn't really say this, as my friend just got passed out with a 3rd, but seriously...

LOL!!! I reliased after i posted it it doesn't make sense. I have no idea how to edit it!!
Reply 4
nonono, there are still successful people with a 3rd, but generally speaking its very hard to apply for graduate jobs with such a grade.
Reply 5
Hugh Laurie got a third. This makes them cool.
Reply 6
hermaphrodite
did he do Archeology and anthropoly at Cambs??

That's the one.

But in all honesty I don't think his classification of degree has had any relevance in his later life. I'd guess the only things he got from his degree were contacts and a great three years.

Edit: Huh? Where'd your post go?
Reply 7
Depends what you've done with your 3+ years of 'freedom' -

A third + societies, sports, volunteering, lots of friends & contacts, and some relevant and useful work experience would, in my mind, represent a university experience which was entirely worthwhile.

It really depends on the individual.
Terrafire

Edit: Huh? Where'd your post go?

I was supposed to edit anthropology (I spelt it wrong) but couldn't be bothered so I just hit the delete button instead hoping no one would notice.
I chose unsure because a degree is worth it if it allows entry into something that a person couldn't access otherwise. So if it's possible with a third, then it was worth it. If not and the person can't find an alternative, then no. This would vary with each individual.
Reply 10
I dunno, I know someone that got a third and is now working full time in their field of study, due to being good at her job during placement. Academia is not everything that an employer looks for you know. Experiences, reliability, references all count too.
Terrafire
Hugh Laurie got a third. This makes them cool.

Didn't Hugh Laurie deny he ever went to Cambridge, though?
Reply 12
Surely any degree is worth something.
generalebriety
Didn't Hugh Laurie deny he ever went to Cambridge, though?

I don't think he could deny that. He started his career from joining the Footlights. You'd have to be at Cambs to be in The Footlights (I believe). That's where he met Emma Thompson and Steve Fry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Laurie
hermaphrodite
I don't think he could deny that. He started his career from joining the Footlights. You'd have to be at Cambs to be in The Footlights (I believe). That's where he met Emma Thompson and Steve Fry.

edit: Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It's just what I heard. Might be absolute rubbish.
If I had a 3rd then on my CV I would just write

"BSc English"

and not specifiy a class.
Reply 16
DoubleThePrice
If I had a 3rd then on my CV I would just write

"BSc English"

and not specifiy a class.

Now that might seem a bit suspicious, seeing as there's no such thing as a BSc in English.:wink:
Reply 17
The type of student who got a Thora when I was an undergrad went on to work as assistant supervisors in one-room call centres, overseeing 5 or 10 people as they work their way through the Yellow Pages trying to sell double glazing over the phone. They did not need to spend three years at university in order to get such a job.

And yes, James Joyce got a Third, but those were different times.
Reply 18
To spend three years and thousands of pounds at uni only to receive a 3rd is a sad state of affairs (apart from medical problems etc).
hermaphrodite
LOL!!! I reliased after i posted it it doesn't make sense. I have no idea how to edit it!!

report your first post and ask a mod to change the poll to a more sensible title....

Latest

Trending

Trending