The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Tabris
Because letters are much more personal than emails.

You should mention that to the people of Brazil who have lost their homes and land due to logging and deforestation, an area the size of japan has been logged from the Amazonian rainforest. Kings are just merely adding to their carbon footprint and raping the earth! They should take a leaf (note the pun) out of Manchester's book!
Reply 61
You're taking it too seriously.

Though it isn't on as large a scale, do you complain to people every time you see them screw up a sheet of paper and throw it away too?
Still, they have a point. Also, not everyone has e-mail at home...
Speedbird2006
Still, they have a point. Also, not everyone has e-mail at home...

... hence why they told me when they emailed me to "ring them and confirm my interview" if I wasn't able to access my email.

*dies*

o___O
Reply 64
Yes. Emails do not require electricity. Generating electricity does not contribute to the carbon footprint in this country.
O....kay

Not everyone can receive e-mails as not everyone has a computer.

Everyone can receive post.

So, yes, the environmentalists have a point; on the other the e-mail alternative may not work because not everyone has it.
Reply 66
Speedbird2007

Everyone can receive post.

HA. depending on whether royal mail wants to work or not :biggrin:
Reply 67
Plus the paper may be from a sustainable source! Give King's a call and ask them :wink:
it being from a sustainable source doesn't mean it isn't a waste of resources when it clearly is. no-one needs acknowledgments at all. it's all a big waste of time and paper.
Reply 69
^^Good point well made :smile:
I disagree, I think its important to have acknowledgement, but it merely needs to be sent via email, it is much more reliable than Royal Mail and majority check their email at least every 3 days. I hope uni's would send interview invites via email as well as posts! Moreover, acknowledgements contains important information which candidates should be aware of eg when interviews take place(eg a general timescale), assurance that they have received applications, a decision will be made in due course,as well as contact details and that the uni have received ALL information.

If they didn't bother with acknowledgements, their emails and phone lines would be jammed with candidates who are worried because they haven't heard from the uni in many months and are at unease, especially if they come to forums like this in which people post they received a letter inviting them to interviews.
Reply 71
To anyone who applied at Keele: Did they ask you in your acknowledgement to send them your UKCAT scores?
Ahh finally got mine. What a relief. I guess it took time because the letter came all the way to Paris from London.
And you're right, Tabris, it is more personal and comforting.

Well, I've taken to obsessively stalking my postman.
If only Peninsula hurries up.
invisibleforest
... hence why they told me when they emailed me to "ring them and confirm my interview" if I wasn't able to access my email.

*dies*

o___O

I remember when that happened to me last year! I thought that was class.
But then they write the same thing on the letter that they send you after the email and then it all makes sense.
Reply 74
SilentGirl
'''2A* and you're thinking about medicine? get real!!!!'''

whoever said that, was being really rude. There are reasons for getting those gcse's..above all, i feel PASSIONATE about medicine which many ppl lacks..they just wana be a doctor coz they think they can have it all just with their grades alone. I have more to offer than just simple grades which everyone has nowdays.

Its not ur business, whether i get in to medicine or not.

thanks a lot for your 'rep' ! !

Only a LOSER wud say ' I GIVE UP'! How wud u knw if u dnt even giv it a go..

if gcse's are soo imporatnt to YOU then why even bother doing a-levels...unis will love to have u if u r of such a geneous.

Heh, I just read this post, who exactly is this directed to or have I missed an important part in this thread? :redface:

If I may add, you are making a sweeping generalisation by stating that people want to be a doctor because they think they can 'have it all with their grades alone' - a significant number of people that apply for medicine tend to have higher grades than average. It is an extremely competitive course, so it does seem likely that students with a higher academic abilities will apply to read medicine. Furthermore, how exactly can you tell that many people lack what you have got?
theredsox
I remember when that happened to me last year! I thought that was class.
But then they write the same thing on the letter that they send you after the email and then it all makes sense.

Hehe I got my letter yesterday and was like, "ohhhhh i get it now" :biggrin:
Cataclysm
Heh, I just read this post, who exactly is this directed to or have I missed an important part in this thread? :redface:

If I may add, you are making a sweeping generalisation by stating that people want to be a doctor because they think they can 'have it all with their grades alone' - a significant number of people that apply for medicine tend to have higher grades than average. It is an extremely competitive course, so it does seem likely that students with a higher academic abilities will apply to read medicine. Furthermore, how exactly can you tell that many people lack what you have got?

Everyone's different- there may be ppl with way higher grades than me, i might have something more than them in some other area..med school look into diff aspects of a student. But, I am happy with what i have earned in a given time frame(i came to uk in year 10 therefore, english is my second lingo). Its impossible for me to get A* in english or history. I did have to spend an awful lot of time on specially those 2 subjects, rather than spending enough time on my sciences and maths. Im so glad i kept an A for english. I know getting 5 A* nowdays are normal and i strongly believe, if i wasnt abroad for 9 years, i would get those A*s easily. I was indeed a bright student back home (1 of the top 3 every year). Im not being big headed but thats the truth. :smile:

There are reasons for those grades and unluckily i didnt have good teachers ( i did the best gcse results in my school data). so, i can present enough evidence to present my explanation for those grades and i will ofcourse have my a-levels. Now, i dnt have subjects like english or history or any other essay based subject for alevel, so hopefully it shouldnt be too hard for me to get the grades that i want.

and as you might see from my posts, I hjave a strong passion for medicine. So, its natural to be angry or frustrated, if someone comments on my grades like that. Ofcourse, i am aware of the competition, other wise, call me a stupid. :P
Reply 77
SilentGirl
Everyone's different- there may be ppl with way higher grades than me, i might have something more than them in some other area..med school look into diff aspects of a student. But, I am happy with what i have earned in a given time frame(i came to uk in year 10 therefore, english is my second lingo). Its impossible for me to get A* in english or history. I did have to spend an awful lot of time on specially those 2 subjects, rather than spending enough time on my sciences and maths. Im so glad i kept an A for english. I know getting 5 A* nowdays are normal and i strongly believe, if i wasnt abroad for 9 years, i would get those A*s easily. I was indeed a bright student back home (1 of the top 3 every year). Im not being big headed but thats the truth. :smile:

There are reasons for those grades and unluckily i didnt have good teachers ( i did the best gcse results in my school data). so, i can present enough evidence to present my explanation for those grades and i will ofcourse have my a-levels. Now, i dnt have subjects like english or history or any other essay based subject for alevel, so hopefully it shouldnt be too hard for me to get the grades that i want.

and as you might see from my posts, I hjave a strong passion for medicine. So, its natural to be angry or frustrated, if someone comments on my grades like that. Ofcourse, i am aware of the competition, other wise, call me a stupid. :P

lol, why don't you just ingore people who 'comment on your grades like that.' It's not as if anything they say will affect your chances... so just get on with it and prove them wrong - 'tis the best way :wink:
W41337
lol, why don't you just ingore people who 'comment on your grades like that.' It's not as if anything they say will affect your chances... so just get on with it and prove them wrong - 'tis the best way :wink:

Yep, absolutely ! :biggrin:

HI ? yes.... lol

(get it?!) No? Ok then, Good bye !

HeHe
Reply 79
Still nothing from King's :rolleyes:

I really hope i get an interview at King's and not just a straight rejection. I hate the idea of not being given the chance to give something my all. BTW this is nothing to do with not having received a confirmation letter yet, i know that means nothing.

Latest

Trending

Trending