The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

How close is the centre to the uni?

Hey guys...

On Thursday I am going to Birmingham University for a guided tour. While I was there I wanted to have a look around Birmingham centre itself. I was wondering, how far is Birmingham Centre away from Birmingham Newstreet, is it walking distance?

Thanks

Jay
Reply 1
New Street is pretty much in the centre of the city, along with the shopping areas. The university isn't within walking distance of New Street, but you can get a train (can't remember how many stops though) or the bus.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Excellent!

Thanks for that...

I think its called University station...

Jay
Reply 3
THE PROPHETOR!
Excellent!

Thanks for that...

I think its called University station...

Jay

Yes, it is University station.
Reply 4
THE PROPHETOR!
Hey guys...

On Thursday I am going to Birmingham University for a guided tour. While I was there I wanted to have a look around Birmingham centre itself. I was wondering, how far is Birmingham Centre away from Birmingham Newstreet, is it walking distance?

Thanks

Jay

You're applying for law aren't you? Are they giving you a tour of the law school?
Reply 5
muncrun
You're applying for law aren't you? Are they giving you a tour of the law school?

Eh, no... I think it is just a general tour... Why?

And yes I am apply for Law :biggrin:

Jay
Reply 6
its not easy walking distance but its not far.. go by train, its the 2nd stop
Reply 7
I definatly wouldn't say it's easy walking distance -- have you walked it before?

Saying that, walking 2 minutes to a bus stop practically kills me these days!

Tim.
between the University station and New Street, do any ticket inspectors ever check tickets or not?
Reply 9
Yup!

Happened to a friend of mine on a night out. Took the train from Uni station to New Street (well, the stop before), and the ticket guy checked my friend's ticket. Because she forgot her young person's railcard, and thought she had it when she bought the ticket from the machine, she got a £10 fine. (Although some fierce phone calls and letter writing later managed to get the money back).

It's just not worth the risk!

Tim.
n7studios
Yup!

Happened to a friend of mine on a night out. Took the train from Uni station to New Street (well, the stop before), and the ticket guy checked my friend's ticket. Because she forgot her young person's railcard, and thought she had it when she bought the ticket from the machine, she got a £10 fine. (Although some fierce phone calls and letter writing later managed to get the money back).

It's just not worth the risk!

Tim.

damn, that's pretty annoying - i hate paying for things :frown: nevermind - which is cheaper for you? the bus or train ?
Reply 11
John Paul Jones
damn, that's pretty annoying - i hate paying for things :frown: nevermind - which is cheaper for you? the bus or train ?

I thought you could just pay for the fare on the train if there was an inspector and still just pay the same amount though. Thats what I'm intending on doing as if there isn't an inspector its riding for free. :cool:
Reply 12
Wrong.

You can pay on the train, if there's someone on there to pay. But don't think it's a free ride if you don't get to pay on the train. My friend got caught when she got off the train...

As for which is cheaper (bus / train), I don't really know, as I had a bus pass (around £90 for 3 months) because I stayed at Manor House, so it meant I just showed my pass and got free bus travel across the West Midlands.

Tim.

Latest

Trending

Trending