The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh god, if I got a bloody offer I wouldn't sit and analyse it and be 'miffed' at things, I'd be bloody thankful I'd got one in the first bloody place.
smoosabitmega
Oh god, if I got a bloody offer I wouldn't sit and analyse it and be 'miffed' at things, I'd be bloody thankful I'd got one in the first bloody place.

You can understand that if someone applied somewhere where entry requirements were BBB, and then got an offer of AAA, that they may be a little put out though, no? I mean, it may have been their insurance choice, or perhaps they have no hope at all of achieving AAA. I just think it's a bit sneaky on the part of the universities, that's all. :smile: Though I would feel extremely pleased if I got any offers at all, to be honest, as well.
I knew Exeter was AAA though..... and I think people who have got the offers are likely to be able to acheive the grades
Yeah, same. It's a different story if it was just a misunderstanding made by the applicant. :smile:
just to give a bit of hope (although i didnt know that they've added 100 new places this year so i might be living in 2007 applicant world) but my offer was AAB. And I've heard a rumour that there are some people on the course with more Bs than As but this maybe a load of rubbish. Especially as everyone I've talked to got 3As.

Actually, everyone I've talked to was a 3A offer. why am i special?
Do you think they give people with disabilities a slightly lower offer?

okay, so that wasnt much hope- giving but yes the standard offer is AAA.
Reply 25
well i dont know if this is relevant to english, but my older brother does histor y and archaeology and exeter was his first choice. he had to get AAB and got ABC in the end and they still let him in
xx
Reply 26
^^ It honestly depends. One of my friends dropped one grade on her offer for Geography at Exeter and wasn't let in. She ended up going to her insurance (Leicester) :smile:
Andrew_2006
Okay I don't want to sound too disheartened by my offer, but surely an AAA offer from Exeter is basically like a rejection considering all the other unis i'm applying to require 3 As (York, Exeter, Durham, Cam)

I mean I might be thankful of the offer if a whole load of rejections come in, but do I have reason to be miffed?

Exeter was supposed to be an insurance, as the usual grade requirement is aab-bbb

I don't want to dishearten you, but be thankful you even got an offer. I applied for English last year at Bristol, Warwick, Durham, King's and York and was rejected for all despite the fact that I was predicted 4 A's. This year I've re-applied because I didn't fancy going through clearing, and with my A-level grades I've received offers for English and French. English is ridiculously competitive; that's why basically most good unis want 3 A's. Plus your personal statement can't be too pretentious; they hate that.
Reply 28
I reckon that Exeter get a lot of applicants but their conversion rate is quite low (ie number who pick them as their firm choice& actually end up coming) If they are offering the same grades as Oxbridge, Warwick, York, Durham, UCL etc. then I bet people often think of Exeter as their 3rd or 4th choice out of 5. That might account for their seeming willingness to let people in with a near miss, something which I doubt would happen at some of these other places
Reply 29
Lychee
That might account for their seeming willingness to let people in with a near miss, something which I doubt would happen at some of these other places

But the point is they DON'T let in people with near misses unless it's for a relatively unpopular course (e.g. someone mentioned Archaeology earlier).
Angelil
But the point is they DON'T let in people with near misses unless it's for a relatively unpopular course (e.g. someone mentioned Archaeology earlier).

I agree. I would say it's - in part - an abundance of AAA students where a few years ago there were fewer which has allowed universities to "up" their requirements in more recent years. Not that Exeter wasn't always a great university, but there was, of course, a time when there weren't enough AAA students to justify more than a handful of universities requesting those grades.

Latest

Trending

Trending