The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Driving school/test

I have a North American driver's license, and would like to apply for my license here in Edinburgh. There's some rules that are different not to mention the fact that we don't have round abouts! Can anyone recommend a place to take some driving lessons and where I'd go for the driving test?? Back home there is a special student drivers academy where you get a discount on your insurance if you've taken their course and passed. Does this exist in the UK? Also some test centres back home are known to be notoriously hard i.e. they tend to fail everyone on their first attempt... is is the same here?
Reply 1
Search on the DSA website for test centres. Can't advise on the pass rate i'm afraid. I'm in the same position as you though. Want to pass my test in Edinburgh asap.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
oh, because you already know how to drive im guessing you probably wont be needing as many lessons as those that havent already learnt...

I think you should maybe find a quieter area just outside edinburgh to practice instead of in the city centre. As for lessons/test you could always go with the AA or BSM, once you've had a few lessons they will let you know about your test and stuff.

Not sure if you need to get a provisional license before you start because you have your north american one but something you might wanna check out. You can pick up a DVLA form from any post office if you do need one.

Hope i helped, im 17 next month but not sure if ill be learning to drive because its so expensive :s-smilie:
Reply 3
This link has pass rates for the different UK test centres by postcode (I think the postcode for Edinburgh is EH), though that's for Practical only, not theory. Not sure if you'd have to re-test to get a UK license, might also depend on if your license is for a Manual or Automatic.
Should probably check with the DVLA to see if you can transfer your license or if you need to be re-tested over here. Having a look round this website might give you some answers too, though it isn't the most user friendly website.

There isn't a driving school over here that if you pass with you'll get cheaper insurance etc. but there is Pass Plus (Google should give you pleanty about that) that you can do after you pass a UK test usually that involves going out for a set number of hours going through various road and weather conditions and all that, which gives you more experience and lowers insurance costs too.

C-
Reply 4
I guess you learnt in an automatic car? Either request a automatic car when you enquire at driving schools or you may have to learn manual (which i find fun). Theres a few different test centres, Joppa is closing and is been replaced by Musselburgh (about 20-30 mins from city, doesn't always show up on postcode search, so you may have to type it in to get the centre to come up, and has no city driving on the test - bonus!), there is another one though near the city centre. I have my test mid december - I'm nervous! My driving instructor took me straight down the A1 to England in my last lesson for dual carriageway practice.
Reply 5
thanks for all the info... I learned on a standard/manual, not an automatic, so hoping to also take the test in the UK on a standard. At home you take driving lessons (class room lectures, and in car driving lessons) in either standard or automatic cars that belong to the driving school. You can then take your lesson in the car that you've been learning to drive with, or you can elect to take your parents car....
So one thing I guess I will have to do is figure out how to get a car to take to the test....Perhaps I'll find someone at the uni who is willing to let my borrow their car for the test!
Reply 6
Learning on a manual makes things a lot easier over here! Just a note for the test, the car you use needs to have dual controls, so it may be worth using a driving school for a few lessons then using one of their cars, unless you happen to be lucky enough to know anyone who's got dual controls in their car!

C-
Reply 7
Usually if you are learning through a driving instructor, most people just use their car for the test. (Otherwise you don't just need to borrow someones car, but also insure it for a learner driver)

Latest

Trending

Trending