The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya! I have applied to do English and Drama at UEA, Birmingham, Aberystwyth and UWE. So far I have offers from Birmingham and Aber, and my audition/interview for UEA is on the 28th November. Ahh!

Did u know that for the UEA audition we just have to do a Shakespeare monologue? I have mixed feelings about this...

Good luck on getting offers.
Reply 2
Hey, well done on your offers! I haven't heard from UEA yet and i'm starting to worry!! how long ago did you apply?

A shakespeare monologue?! scary! Which speech do you think you will choose? GOOD LUCK! :smile:
Reply 3
I applied on the 12th October and got an email saying I have an audition on the 24th. I sure your reply will come soon.:smile:

I don't know which speech I'm going to do yet- they send you a load of them and you choose one, only mine hasn't arrived yet. They said at the open day that girls can do monologues written for men, and vice versa. I will probably just compromise between doing the one LOADS of people are likely to do e.g. Juliet's speech and one from a play that I haven't even heard of.

Ooh, so if you could do any of the courses you applied for, which one would you go for?
Reply 4
aaah, i hope offers come soon. i hate the waiting!
I really love the course at Bristol.....but i know how hard it is to get in there, so i'm trying not to get my hopes up! I like all the courses i have applied for, so i'd be happy going to any of them.
How about you? Do you have a favourite?
Reply 5
hmmm, I suppose the UEA course would be a good one as it is 70% practical in drama, and I like the way the the joint honours are linked more than the other courses I've seen. You explore dramatically the texts you study in English. Also, the final dissertation is writing an adaptation of a novel as a group and then performing it, which sounds fab:biggrin:

When I was choosing my courses I went for the ones with the most practical work as this is what I enjoy about drama. The Bristol course looked really good and the lecturers were really young, hip and enthusiastic but I think I'm right in saying that the practical element is limited.
Reply 6
eeeeep, i got an audition for UEA too.....on the 5th of december. Have you been sent all of your information yet?
Reply 7
Congrats! Yep I have- they sent me a list of monologues, a plan of the day, an accomodation list etc. plus a magazine about the city. Have u got yours yet? Mine took about 5 days to get here if that helps :smile: Good luck!
Reply 8
oooh, does it look exciting? I haven't got mine yet. I found the email in my 'junk' inbox......turns out it was sent on the 30th of october and i just never saw it! haha, so i only rang up to confirm the interview today!
i'm so excited though!
Reply 9
Have you done ur audition yet? I did mine last week and have got a place! So I think I may end up going there! What about u? If u have done yours how did it go and if u havent u may grill me about it :P
Reply 10
heyyy! yeah i did mine, and i got a place too! i loved it....thinking i may end up going there too.
Reply 11
Whoa thats so cool! Yeh I had a great time too and got on with everyone there coz they were all so friendly and welcoming. The whole place was really unpretentious. And I thought the professors were fun and enthusiastic which is a bonus! Norwich was nice and pretty too, not the MOST lively of places but that suits me, being from Devon. Do u live nearby? xxx
Urm. I have a question to everyone.
All of you've taken drama classes at school?
Reply 13
Do u mean Drama A-Level? I guess that most people applying to uni to do drama have. If thats what u mean then yes I have.
yes, I meant that, thank you.
Reply 15
yeah i do theatre studies A level.

I live near cambridge....so it's not that far away for me to go. I've been out in norwich before and it's lively enough for me which is good.
The uni was a lot better than i had expected. I really loved the drama studio, and the campus felt like a mini student village, which was awesome.
How are the rest of your choices going?
Reply 16
Well I have been accepted at all (except Cambridge where I wont find out til January but that was a long shot anyway) but UEAs my favourite. What about u?
Reply 17
I have had offers from UEA and Leeds, a rejection from Holloway, and still waiting to hear from Bristol and Warwick, but they won't tell me until January.
So at the moment, i'm set on UEA :smile:
Reply 18
Cool! Yep I have offers from Birmingham, Aberystwyth and UWE as well. Just a bit stuck on what to put as my insurance... I can't put Birmingham as that offer is higher than the one for UEA, I don't really want to go to UWE so I guess I will just have to put down Aberystwyth :s-smilie: Hope the other unis let u know soon :smile:
Hellooooo fellow English/Drama lovers :biggrin:
Glad I found this thread!

Ahh I applied to UEA too but no reply yet...therefore beginning to worry...
Also applied to Warwick, Manchester which are my two favourites, no word from them yet.
Got an offer from Sussex AAB, yay!
And a King Lear workshop from Portsmouth next week...eep!

Latest