The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i love that you put "love" in inverted commas. you don't believe in love??
Reply 141
^ please do? i'm interested myself as i'd expect the reason why their divorce rate is so low is because, as democracy said, it's taboo in their culture?

on the other hand, i suppose it's a case of 'love the one you're with'. perhaps they genuinely do grow to love each other...
bright star
i love that you put "love" in inverted commas. you don't believe in love??

Haha, of course I believe in love! I put it in inverted commas just because it is the way the book I was reading described it lol
i also love that i wrote love three times in that sentence (and twice in this one)....
ph9
^ please do? i'm interested myself as i'd expect the reason why their divorce rate is so low is because, as democracy said, it's taboo in their culture?

on the other hand, i suppose it's a case of 'love the one you're with'. perhaps they genuinely do grow to love each other...

Yeah, democracy is right, suggested reasons for the low divorce rate is due to the taboo of divorce itself. However, your right in the sense that many couples grow to love each other. It has been said that the more familiar you are with someone the more comfortable and happy you are. Which I can see myself from experience!
bright star
i also love that i wrote love three times in that sentence (and twice in this one)....

Isn't it LOVEly? On another note, this thread is really going off track.
i don't think it was ever really on track.... you have about 3 reasons people applied in 8 pages....
WaW
i totally agree pressuring someone into a course like medicine is like an arranged/forced marriage! It just dont make sense the person doing the course/or getting married has no input into there life. People who are pressurised into something often really find it hard and eventually resent there parents (sometimes) doing something for the wrong reasons is never a good idea.

I think people have a misconception of an arranged marriage. My parents have been married for 21 years now, so back then things were different. They didn't HAVE to get married, but they were arranged to meet. They met dozens of people before they decided they liked each other best so it was hardly forced on their part and they have a better marriage than some people who marry for "love" do I can tell you that. Obviously, there are cases where people are forced into a marriage, but this happens not just for marriage, people are forced to do all sorts of things by their parents in ALL parts of the world. It's just how it is, sad but true.

But like Ph9 was saying, I wonder also if I wasn't remotely pressured into pursuing medicine or dentistry if I'd have taken all sciences at A level... as long as people are happy with the choice they've made though what does it matter? As long as they do a good job I don't see what more can be asked of them from a professional point of view.
Reply 148
Democracy
Parents can be too pushy for their own good sometimes.

My parents don't even know what I study.
Reply 149
Someone3
I think people have a misconception of an arranged marriage. My parents have been married for 21 years now, so back then things were different. They didn't HAVE to get married, but they were arranged to meet. They met dozens of people before they decided they liked each other best so it was hardly forced on their part and they have a better marriage than some people who marry for "love" do I can tell you that. Obviously, there are cases where people are forced into a marriage, but this happens not just for marriage, people are forced to do all sorts of things by their parents in ALL parts of the world. It's just how it is, sad but true.

But like Ph9 was saying, I wonder also if I wasn't remotely pressured into pursuing medicine or dentistry if I'd have taken all sciences at A level... as long as people are happy with the choice they've made though what does it matter? As long as they do a good job I don't see what more can be asked of them from a professional point of view.

I agree to a certain point. There are some ppl who do have arranged marriages and some who are pushed into doing Medicine and end up falling in love and being brillaint Drs!

But when i said arranged marriage i meant as in never seen the person - which is very rare nowadays. And when i mean pusha child i mean really push them not in a positive "You can do it!" sor of way i meant in a "Do it or else!" sort of way.

But another thing to ponder in the end after 10 or so years training and finally becoming a Dr you would dort of have to like it! i mean i can't imagine anyone in the profession really would contemplate changing careers after working so hard to finally get there - so in a sense they make themselves fall in love or really enjoy there work. but you must remember that some people do as just another job! As long as they have the money to the pay the bills they are happy! Same with marriage as long as they are not aone they are happy.
Reply 150
mouse_mat
My parents don't even know what I study.

Looool. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending