The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Fluffmonster
k well mine are 277, 275, 255 and 252. Do I bother? (Be honest please :smile: )

Yes definitely!!! You have 2 high As in there, and none of them could be said to be scraping the A grade boundary. You should apply, like i said earlier...the worst is that you get rejected...in which case you've lost nothing. You might as well try, i think you have a decent shot. IMO it'll depends on the interview

G
Fluffmonster
k well mine are 277, 275, 255 and 252. Do I bother? (Be honest please :smile: )

You are one of the people who should be pleased they are asking for UMS marks! :biggrin:
Reply 22
Thankyou everyone. I'm sorry they might seem like silly questions but my school told me not to bother applying because I wouldn't stand a chance.....but now I think I'll apply anyway :smile:
yay
Fluffmonster
Thankyou everyone. I'm sorry they might seem like silly questions but my school told me not to bother applying because I wouldn't stand a chance.....but now I think I'll apply anyway :smile:
yay

They told you that? Go to the person who told you not to bother and sucker punch them till they bleed. They probably told you not to bother so that they didn't have to bother sending UCAS applications off early or something. Chhh... well, I had a 250 and a couple of 260s and a 222; and I got the interview... make sure your personal statement really shows off your interest in your subject, evidence for it, and evidence of extra-curricular and extra academic activity. (Oh and make sure you know what your teachers wrote about you in their recommendations - just ask them; get it written by someone who really likes you :biggrin: )

Once you get to the interview though, I don't think GCSEs will really matter a lot; I mean if they did matter so much, then why would they need to interview you? :smile: Oh and your AS grades are "oh so solid As." I'd be well happy with that; in my second year I retook everything I could and I got my 260 upto a 298 and my 222 upto a 295, so if you're even slightly worried, then don't be, because your grades seem very very good indeed; and if you plan on retaking anything (just for a laugh) who knows, you might just hammer the papers like they flies heading for a venus flytrap.
Reply 24
Very good grades :smile: If you like the course and the uni, you should give it a shot :smile:
And believe me, the school will love you and worship the ground you walk on if you get into Cambridge :biggrin:
Acaila
Very good grades :smile: If you like the course and the uni, you should give it a shot :smile:
And believe me, the school will love you and worship the ground you walk on if you get into Cambridge :biggrin:

Haha yeah; the teachers become so much more friendlier, and even people you don't know, know you at college !!! But that kind of treatment will end when we get to cambridge cus well... we'll all be at cambridge.

Best of luck though Fluff; you seem well set-up to apply.
Reply 26
Fluffmonster
yay

Good for you!! Don't worry about what the school say..they're just worried about statistics i expect. Dumb things...i did mechanics :tongue:

G
gzftan
Good for you!! Don't worry about what the school say..they're just worried about statistics i expect. Dumb things...i did mechanics :tongue:

G

You'd think they'd encourage as many people to apply as possible though, to maximise their chances of getting someone in and being able to boast about it. But there are so many schools that just don't seem interested... a friend of mine is part of the Target Scheme and wrote to several schools asking them if she could visit and talk to pupils about Oxbridge. About 3 schools didn't even bother to reply to her. No wonder there are so few state school applications to Oxbridge...
Reply 28
MadNatSci
You'd think they'd encourage as many people to apply as possible though, to maximise their chances of getting someone in and being able to boast about it. But there are so many schools that just don't seem interested... a friend of mine is part of the Target Scheme and wrote to several schools asking them if she could visit and talk to pupils about Oxbridge. About 3 schools didn't even bother to reply to her. No wonder there are so few state school applications to Oxbridge...

It's terrible isn't.....if you look at the statistics....the percentage of applicants from state schools is generally equal to the percentage of offers given to state school applicants. I doubt there's much bias at all....its just a lot of schools don't even think to let their pupils apply to oxbridge due to this misconception of heavy bias against state schools.

G
Reply 29
Well the head of 6th form at my school said that Cambridge still reserve places for etonions and the like.
Reply 30
No offence, but your school sound really ignorant.
No university could get away with that kind of thing now. Cambridge want the best students, no matter where they come from.
Acaila
No university could get away with that kind of thing now. Cambridge want the best students, no matter where they come from.

very true. they even let in students from oxford
Reply 32
Fluffmonster
Yeah I really fancy Downing becasue of the whole arts scene there (I'm very into my theatre lol). How about you? The thing I'm most worried about is my gcse results cos I got 2A*s 2As and 5Bs. I thought that was quite good until I went to the Cam open day and all these people were like "oh shit I only got 10As." Lol.

To be completely honest with you, there are lots of people at Cambridge with absolutely amazing grades (12 A*s and the like) but don't worry, there are plenty of us there without such stunning records. In fact, one of the guys I know doing Engineering (tough subject, especially as our college is really good at it!) got mostly Cs at GCSE. I've also heard people being told that they did the "wrong" subjects at school, which is again a load of rubbish. One of the SPSers I know did the same subjects as you and is here doing well. You did so well at AS you've obviously pulled your socks up and you're clearly up to the challenge. Go ahead and apply - I'm sure Cambridge would love you.
Reply 33
Ticki
To be completely honest with you, there are lots of people at Cambridge with absolutely amazing grades (12 A*s and the like) but don't worry, there are plenty of us there without such stunning records. In fact, one of the guys I know doing Engineering (tough subject, especially as our college is really good at it!) got mostly Cs at GCSE. I've also heard people being told that they did the "wrong" subjects at school, which is again a load of rubbish. One of the SPSers I know did the same subjects as you and is here doing well. You did so well at AS you've obviously pulled your socks up and you're clearly up to the challenge. Go ahead and apply - I'm sure Cambridge would love you.

Wow..you made the crossover to the better forum!! :tongue:

About what you said about 'wrong' subjects...i know exactly what you mean...i did bio, maths and physics at A level with a Chem AS...and i managed to get an offer. Those subjects sound pretty 'wrong' to me for law :smile:

G
Reply 34
Acaila

Ah I'm not offended. They just don't really seem to have a clue at my school. They have only had one person going to Oxbridge in the last five years! They are also really anti all the people doing arts subjects....they don't think we are as clever as the scientists....but I shall prove them wrong.
Mwahahahaha
:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending