The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

^^ LOL!! 'tis funny.
Throwback
M&S Food is a proper supermarket by that reasoning. It also has the same things a supermarket has. But what students are gonna shop at M&S or Waitrose? They're both aimed at the middle class.

What? M&S Food has mostly ready meals. Waitrose is just like any other supermarket, just more expensive. :confused: Being more expensive doesn't make less of a supermarket. If M&S had all the things other supermarkets had, then yes, it would be a supermarket. How else would you define a supermarket? Supermarkets aimed at the middle class are STILL SUPERMARKETS. The world doesn't revolve around students...
no hero in her sky
What? M&S Food has mostly ready meals. Waitrose is just like any other supermarket, just more expensive. :confused: Being more expensive doesn't make less of a supermarket. If M&S had all the things other supermarkets had, then yes, it would be a supermarket. How else would you define a supermarket? Supermarkets aimed at the middle class are STILL SUPERMARKETS. The world doesn't revolve around students...

Yes it does. cos you can't buy economy baked beans, economy bread or economy bog roll :p:
Reply 23
Netto micowave meal = £1
M&S organic, fair trade, handmade microwave meal = £3
Reply 24
Throwback
Huh? Go to the M&S near Bond St by Selfridges and tell me it only sells ready meals :confused:

What else does M&S Food sell, stuff to cook with? I usually go to the one at Euston and its very limited, mostly biscuits and ready meals.
Throwback
Huh? Go to the M&S near Bond St by Selfridges and tell me it only sells ready meals :confused:

Ok, then, I'll take your word for it. If that particular M&S sells all the same sorts of products that a normal Tesco or Sainsbury does, then it is a proper supermarket. Obviously. It's pretty sad that I'm needing to spell this out.
Reply 26
Crazster
What else does M&S Food sell, stuff to cook with? I usually go to the one at Euston and its very limited, mostly biscuits and ready meals.

Duh, that's because it's an express in a station. Have you ever seen a fully fledged massive Tesco in a station? Of course not. A tesco express, maybe.

Big M&S supermarkets do exist but you'd have to be filthy rich to do your normal shopping there. The waste of money that would be would quite frankly make my eyes bleed.
I live opposite SOAS and now I have no money left. Theres a sainsburys on southampton row which is relatively large. 3 pastries for £1 is my usual lunch.
Reply 28
dominiclmorris
Transport in London is really pretty decent, regardless of what people say, if you get a student discount oyster card it doesn't cost too much and honestly, there's pleanty of cheaper accomidation if you're looking 20-30 minutes out of the center. I live in Golders Green, bloody dull, bloddy suburban, but about 25 minutes away from Tottenham Court Road by tube and would cost far less than many places more central. that said, there are places more central and a lot cooler that can also be cheap if you look into flat shares. For example, around ladbrook grove or westborne park are some bargains, and you're only a short bit away from the very cool, very expensive notting hill. likewise there are areas around whitechaple which are far cheaper than comparitive places nearer Brick Lane.

How much is 'cheap accomodation' (university-owned halls excluded) in London in terms of £ ?
Reply 29
Y__
How much is 'cheap accomodation' (university-owned halls excluded) in London in terms of £ ?

Maybe, £90/week if you're lucky? For somewhere reaosnably close to the centre. I pay £400 a month and it takes me 15 to get to Aldwych by bus.

It really depends how far out you're prepared to live. I'm on the edge of Zone 1 but I have friends who live in Zone 3 or even 4.
crackingod
Not to mention the amazing choice of cheese, wine, and french and italian products.

Are you middle-class by any chance.
hermaphrodite
Are you middle-class by any chance.

no I actually live off loans and grants...
I'm just half italian and lived in France for most of my life, so I like having some of the food from these places.
Plus I prefer eating well than going out all the time, I think its best to spend my money this way
Reply 32
I am extremely middle-class and consider expensive food a heart-breaking waste of money. Tesco Value FTW.

How you buy your food is not that class-based for everyone you know.
Zoecb

How you buy your food is not that class-based for everyone you know.

i know, i can be a snob sometimes too when it comes to food, I never buy ready made microwave meals. But I think that has more to do the carbs and fat etc.
Reply 34
Microwave meals are a treat for me :smile:

Usually I find them too expensive. I buy them when they're reduced and when I feel I can afford to be a little bit wasteful...
I live in Covent Garden (in halls) so I'm very familiar with the brutally expensive side of London. Fortunately, there is a proper Tesco nearby and since my rent is subsidized, my lodging is actually quite reasonably price.

Here's a secret tip, though, for the lazy and cheap student: if you don't want to cook some nights, go to Camden Lock near closing. Often, the outdoor vendors will be selling their food for £2.00 and are quite willing to give you heaping portions because otherwise it goes into the garbage. It's cheaper than cooking some nights and it tastes much better than the crap I cook. Definitely a neat little London steal.
Reply 36
Yeah but Camden Food is like junk food - to be eaten in moderation, it's very unhealthy. And I can do healthy meals for less than £2, easy.
Cheap acomodation for London is anything under 100 pounds a week, if you go up to 150 you've actually got a good choice of central areas if you look hard.
Cheap food in London: Brick Lane. Cafe 1001 does the /best/ burgers for 4 pounds, the Indian resturants do 3 course meals (at lunch time) for 7 pounds, and you can get a sizable meal at the indian bakeries, where samosas and nice things cost 20p each.
Also, you know you're a Londoner when you know that Chicken Cottage = guilty guilty love.
Reply 38
Cheap food in London: COOK FOR YOURSELF, YOU LAZY PEOPLE! Lol.
café 1001 :-D

Latest

Trending

Trending